+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 69 119 ... LastLast
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

We can't seriously be complaining even mildly about A-Rod's 2009 postseason, can we?

1421 doesnt seem to like any of the high paid players.

I'd assume a 300OPS+ wouldn't be enough.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    We can't seriously be complaining even mildly about A-Rod's 2009 postseason, can we?
    Given that I said three or four times in this thread that the Yankees likely would not have won in 2009 without ARod's production in the postseason this year, I would say that nobody is complaining mildly about his 2009 postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    1421 doesnt seem to like any of the high paid players.

I'd assume a 300OPS+ wouldn't be enough.
    You don't seem to understand the impact that big contracts have on a team. You said earlier this year that you wouldn't even let Tex go if somebody were willing to take his contract.

I can only guess you wouldn't let Arod go right now either.

NYYF Legend

That's certainly what it sounds like, which is mind boggling. While CC may have been named ALCS MVP and Matsui may have been named WS MVP, had there been an MVP award for all three playoff rounds put together, it would have gone to Alex, hands down.

There are many areas where Alex's performance can be considered disappointing but the 2009 postseason is most definitely not one of them.

We wouldn't even be in the 2009 WS if not for Alex.

His hips obviously aren't 100%, at least in his mind. He and Kevin Long are too smart to not realize that's the problem. They have to clear it with the training staff but the course of action is pretty clear... ARod needs to train like he used to.

Meanwhile, he's still playing pretty good. Probably overpaid by like 10m a year... but that's hardly a total disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post

His hips obviously aren't 100%, at least in his mind. He and Kevin Long are too smart to not realize that's the problem. They have to clear it with the training staff but the course of action is pretty clear... ARod needs to train like he used to.

Meanwhile, he's still playing pretty good. Probably overpaid by like 10m a year... but that's hardly a total disaster.
    I'd agree. An overpay, but shoot, this is the Yankees.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The Yanks may have some great fans, but this is proof we have our share of idiots.
    And the proof is in this thread. I guess the Pavano & Igawa contracts are forgotten, as they did DIDDLY-SQUAT for the team. Without A-Rod, we'd be in a 11-year-and-counting championship drought; just like the 65-76 & 79-95 eras I & many older fans lived through. I could care less about his, or anybody else's personal life. I love Donny baseball & Dave Winfield, is it their fault those teams won nothing ? Frankly, I'm embarassed by some so-called Yankee "fans"; maybe it's my age, but some of these young people are clueless. I watched the shell of Mickey Mantle play four years longer than he should have, although he was still getting one of the highest contracts at the time. Boo a player for doggin' it... fine. But booing because he doesn't live up to your "expectations" every time ? Boo.. on you.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The Yanks may have some great fans, but this is proof we have our share of idiots.
    cf. LaTroy Hawkins
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

As a DH

96 PA, .353/.417/.529, 148 OPS+

He shouldn't play 3B next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    As a DH

96 PA, .353/.417/.529, 148 OPS+

He shouldn't play 3B next season.
    I'd like to see Chavez play about 4-5 days a week at 3rd and have A-Rod be the primary DH. A-Rod can play one or twice at 3rd a week and have one day completely off. This becomes more complicated if Gardner returns, but then I would jettison Ibanez and platoon Jones and Gardner in left and have Jones take up any additional DH ABs.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    I'd like to see Chavez play about 4-5 days a week at 3rd and have A-Rod be the primary DH. A-Rod can play one or twice at 3rd a week and have one day completely off. This becomes more complicated if Gardner returns, but then I would jettison Ibanez and platoon Jones and Gardner in left and have Jones take up any additional DH ABs.
    It's simple even if Gardner returns. If A-Rod hits like A-Rod at DH spot, you put him there and don't think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    It's simple even if Gardner returns. If A-Rod hits like A-Rod at DH spot, you put him there and don't think twice.
    Obviously, I just meant in terms of shuffling the other pieces around.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

I'm not understanding how anyone can pick nits about A-Rod's 2009 postseason. He was a beast in all three series.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

word, wtf?

He had a .973 OPS in his "mediocre" WS and it was his hit that made "Damon's Dash" memorable.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'm not understanding how anyone can pick nits about A-Rod's 2009 postseason. He was a beast in all three series.
    Probably a top 5 postseason of all-time, but because he had two 0-4s in the WS it wasn't that great.

He hit 3 game tying HRs in the 7th inning or later that postseason. No one has more than 3 for their CAREER.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    He hit 3 game tying HRs in the 7th inning or later that postseason. No one has more than 3 for their CAREER.
    Yeah but that one off Fuentes barely cleared the fence. For his money I expect more distance
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I don't know why you keep putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was 'woeful' and I didn't say his numbers were 'terrible'.
    I never even mentioned the word "woeful," what the hell are you talking about?

He had two terrible games in that six game World Series. Games One and Two, he went a combined 0 for 8 with 6 strikeouts.

Then, he had some terrific moments with two big hits.
    Thanks for educating me on sss, I wasn't aware. You tried downplaying his role in the WS and failed. Like I mentioned earlier, it's too bad you weren't around when Giambi was here. The nuggets you would have crapped out in his PT would have been fun to sift through.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Given that I said three or four times in this thread that the Yankees likely would not have won in 2009 without ARod's production in the postseason this year, I would say that nobody is complaining mildly about his 2009 postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421
    Okay. In the 2009 World Series, ARod had 20 at bats with one home run, three doubles and one single. He walked 3 times and struck out 8 times. Not bad, not great.
    Would you prefer labeling this as damning him with faint praise?

There's a lot of angry people in this thread. Anyway, A-Rod kicked ass in the 2009 postseason. True, he only batted .250 in the World Series but his On-Base Percentage was .423 & his Slugging Percentage was .550 which gave him an OPS of .973. I guess it's true what they say, batting average can be a misleading stat at times.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post

Exactly

When his hip surgeon stated after the procedure that he's have to cut back on his workout regimen, it sent up red flags in my mind. He's always been a fitness freak and it turned his natural abilities into superstar level production

It's showing- he's looking a bit soft. I don't see how properly designed and monitored workouts would be a negative. He could use an underwater treadmill, for instance. I don't think it was his workouts that have caused the knee and hip problems- it's the repetitive stress of actually playing the game. Properly designed exercise should be able to help mitigate those effects- not cause more harm

I wonder if he's considered talking to Ortiz about his new "supplement" program. Might be a net plus for the Yanks. If he's revived- all the good. If he gets busted they have an out from under the albatross contract
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I wonder if he's considered talking to Ortiz about his new "supplement" program. Might be a net plus for the Yanks. If he's revived- all the good. If he gets busted they have an out from under the albatross contract
    I hate to defend a Red Sox.

But if you get a chance to watch Red Sox games, look at how Ortiz stares at the various snacks in the dugout. He's torturing himself with his diet.

He's cheating inside a lot more than he used to. He's in better shape than he has been in a long time. He learned to hit opposite field popups doubles. I actually do believe he worked his way back. That milk shake thing actually rings true to me as well. The way things were in DR, you probably could test positive for testosterone supplements after going to the gym.

clears throat.... that was pretty good
    Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough~Larry David

Weird that he's playing 3B with Chavez DH'ing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Metal 165 View Post
    clears throat.... that was pretty good
    that looked like Vintage Alex power - effortless swing to right center. I miss that alex - hope it's not just a tease.

His baserunning on the Cano pickoff was a bit baffling though..if you're going to go, don't go when the rundown is over.

Thread Information