+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Worst contract in baseball just got a little less bad if Stark is right. If I had a time machine, that offseason would be on my list.

As for breaking the record, he has to hit another 131 home runs to tie Bonds. That works out at just over 21 for the next six years. It's doable but I'm not confident he does. The next thee years will be very important. After that he needs to have a very small amount remaining. Getting thirty this year will be vital. My gut tells me he beats Aaron but not Bonds.

Edit: damn iPad auto correct.
    If he catches Aaron, he catches Bonds. He's not going to retire 8 HR short of the record. As you say, we'll have a clearer understanding of his chances after this year and the next.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    If he catches Aaron, he catches Bonds. He's not going to retire 8 HR short of the record. As you say, we'll have a clearer understanding of his chances after this year and the next.
    Of course you're probably right. For a moment my mind was telling me that Aaron ended with 715 not 755.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Worst contract in baseball just got a little less bad if Stark is right. If I had a time machine, that offseason would be on my list.

As for breaking the record, he has to hit another 131 home runs to tie Bonds. That works out at just over 21 for the next six years. It's doable but I'm not confident he does. The next thee years will be very important. After that he needs to have a very small amount remaining. Getting thirty this year will be vital. My gut tells me he beats Aaron but not Bonds.

Edit: damn iPad auto correct.
    So he's going to retire or be unwilling to find a team to even pay him league minimum when he's 7 HR away from the all time record? I think that's highly unlikely. If he passes one, he passes both.

EDIT - what Y13 said.

he'll do it in 5 years
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    So he's going to retire or be unwilling to find a team to even pay him league minimum when he's 7 HR away from the all time record? I think that's highly unlikely. If he passes one, he passes both.

EDIT - what Y13 said.
    See my last post.

Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by foul ball View Post
    Arod is a great player - that's a given. However, IMHO, Arod's past homerun prowess was based on PED'S. Now that he's clean and getting older, homeruns may be few and far between. I do think he will still be a productive player, but his speed and power are on the decline, and so it goes - his homerun total.
    He hit 48 HR in 2005 and 54 HR in 2007. I didn't remember that he got suspended.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

"I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He hit 48 HR in 2005 and 54 HR in 2007. I didn't remember that he got suspended.
    It's sad that he ever used PEDs. He might well have caught up to Bonds even if he had stayed clean.

NYYF Cy Young

He reached 1900 RBI last night. He and Jeter both need 3 more doubles for 500.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    It's sad that he ever used PEDs. He might well have caught up to Bonds even if he had stayed clean.
    It's sad that both of them used PED's - they were already among the best players to come along in MLB history.....but it wasn't enough. I'll never understand it. Bonds was arrogant enough to say he wanted to make everybody forget about Babe Ruth and he got his wish - but he'll be remembered foremost for the wrong reasons. That said, I do hope A-Rod does break the record. He admitted he used them and continued to play without the use of PED's (as far as we know). Although injuries have slowed him down, he's still a threat everytime he steps in the box. That blast last night had some serious muscle behind it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

looking absolutely feeble at the plate right now
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

it is amazing how he can look beast one game then sickly for the next couple.
    always reasonable

Right now he just looks like a player who is almost 37 years old and who's best days are long behind him. He has 7 RBI's on the season and 3 of those were off that one homer the other night.

He hasn't hit .300 since 2008. I wonder if he ever will again?

I hope he can get it turned around. I'm not expecting him to play like he did in 05 or 07, but some hits and RBIs would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    Right now he just looks like a player who is almost 37 years old and who's best days are long behind him. He has 7 RBI's on the season and 3 of those were off that one homer the other night.

He hasn't hit .300 since 2008. I wonder if he ever will again?

I hope he can get it turned around. I'm not expecting him to play like he did in 05 or 07, but some hits and RBIs would be nice.
    I was really hoping he'd come back this year healthy and just tear it up from the get go.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic that if he stays healthy he can still put up a 25-30 HR, 110 RBI season...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Devoted Member

ARod's decline into mediocrity has come quicker than I thought. I thought he had maybe one or two top 10 MVP vote kind of seasons left in him but it's just not in the cards. This makes the Montero trade even more of a tragedy.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

if there's some hope to be had, he's sporting a .240 BABIP so far.

despite exchanging more flyballs for groundballs (rate-wise), he is hitting more line drives than he has in a couple years too, which at least may indicate some ball-hitting authority is still in there, in some capacity.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it is amazing how he can look beast one game then sickly for the next couple.
    That's what happens with the elderly. Some days are better than others.

How do we do this through 2017? Anyone?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEllis View Post
    How do we do this through 2017?
    Unhappily.

i still have faith. he was terrible to start the 09 campaign as well. injured the last 2 years. if he's healthy he will be fine.
    I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

Quote Originally Posted by indianyanksfan View Post
    i still have faith. he was terrible to start the 09 campaign as well. injured the last 2 years. if he's healthy he will be fine.
    He started of 09 with that ridiculous 3-run bomb of the first pitch he saw.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    That's what happens with the elderly. Some days are better than others.

A zinger

Arod was swingin well in spring training too. Color me disappointed. On the plus side, he's much less of an arrogant dude.

Arod hitting the ball out to RF is a great sign
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Arod hitting the ball out to RF is a great sign
    Very true.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

He' seems to have made an adjustment to his swing mechanics. He looks very comfortable at the plate. Kind of parroting Jeter's approach.

Thread Information