+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 151 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

When he grounded out after Teixeira tied the game, the crowd went from ecstatic cheers to really loud boos. It's one thing to get on a player when the team is struggling and you're frustrated that he's part of the problem, but the way this team is playing I really don't see the need to dump on A-Rod.

As somebody said above, the next five years will be very ugly. I don't believe he has any chance of becoming the player he once was ... his only hope of winning over any of these fans will be to give them some more postseason heroics.

So what I'm saying is, save it up for October big guy.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I think the fans felt A-Rod gave away some momentum and maybe ruined a nice moment for Teixeira by grounding out on the first pitch immiediately after Tex's big homer to tie the game. I think most fans are just frustrated at how much money and how many more years are on his dumb contract, the kind of production we're getting from him considering where he's hitting in the lineup and what can come in the future, and that he seems healthy so it's not like you can use injury as an excuse. That doesn't meaan you have to boo the guy, but unfortunately he's an easy target. Hopefully the man gets some clutch hits the rest of the way and is at his best in October. Amazing how he doesn't have 40 RBIs yet with the games he's played and where he hits.

My dad brought up an interesting point last night about wondering how the Yankees and the fans will acknowledge A-Rod next season when he gets his 3000th hit, since he didn't do it all here and even worse, a lot against us. Or if/when he breaks the RBI record and hopefully joins the 700 HR club even though it's not all clean and not all as a Yankee. Do they eventually retire his number one day and put him in Monument Park? Or wait first for the Hall of Fame?

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Alex has 6 years left on his contract. I certainly hope that Yankees will win at least one ring during these six years.
    Not one, not two, not three, not four!
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    Not one, not two, not three, not four!
    In my Lebron James ego on A-Rod's six remaining years of his contract: Not five, all six.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Certain Yankee fans have never been fair to Arod. However, it comes with the contract he signed with them by opting out.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

NYYF MVP

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that slowly Alex is regaining his legs, whether he ever regains the full use of his hips is yet to see. Still it looks like not playing the field as much does seem to be helping.

Like most of you other Yankee fans I just want to see Alex give it his all, lets face it' the better he feels the better his chances are. I'm sure he gets frustrated at times, but as long as he don't give at bats away most of us will stand behind him, and keep pushing him hoping he'll come around..

We still need him to play smart, and to take the walk when they're handing it to him, and to also recognize the breaking-ball or change-up when it's left right there hanging for you and screaming hit me. Not all the time, but every now and then launch one of those! We need for you to hit, your bat makes a big difference. When your hitting we feel confident that we have a much better chance of winning.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

If we re taking this at bat by at bat this will be insufferable
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

2009 Yankees smack the Philles.
    A-Rod did his part.
    Without him it would have been way hard to win that Ring.

He should be batting 5th not 3rd, (with TEX at 4) and Robbie 3rd.
    He is taking AB away from those guys and still, they are adding more runs to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Certain Yankee fans have never been fair to Arod. However, it comes with the contract he signed with them by opting out.
    You know, I hear this a lot that Yankee fans, and baseball fans in general are "not fair" to A-Rod.

What exactly has A-Rod done to earn the affection of Yankee fans? Without a doubt, he had years where he put up HUGE numbers as a Yankee. Two MVP awards while in pinstripes speak for themselves.

So while it's ridiculous to say he's never produced for them, it's also A-Rod's own fault, every step of the way, that people don't want to root for him.

Before he was a Yankee, he bashed Jeter. Whether his points were right or wrong, Yankee fans are entitled to call 'strike one' on that one. Then he gets here and has exactly one big postseason, in '09, and even in that one had a medicore World Series in many ways.

Before that, in '07, as true baseball fans were watching the end of the World Series, he decided to try to upstage it all by opting out during the final innings of the final game. Nobody detests the Red Sox more than I do, but it was totally low-rent to take away from their moment. It was downright embarassing.

Then, in all of his off the field behavior...hey, I don't really care what people do in their personal lives, but don't expect to earn any brownie points when seen with strippers while married, dating bizarre people like Madonna and using Kate Hudson as a prop basically...or so it seemed.

And now, as he's basically an average player at this point, we know we have him for 6 more years at $30m each...in all likelihood costing us Granderson or Cano in the process.

So, you know, as A-Rod continues his decline, I think every Yankee fan has the right to be less than enamored with him and boo him if they want. He's a drag on this team, he's contributed to one ring in 8 years and counting and was in the middle of the biggest collapse ever in 2004.

All his fault? No, but you can't expect cheers and warmth and affection when the production stops given all the other stuff that goes with this guy. I don't think Yankee fans are being unfair at all.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post

Before he was a Yankee, he bashed Jeter. Whether his points were right or wrong, Yankee fans are entitled to call 'strike one' on that one. Then he gets here and has exactly one big postseason, in '09, and even in that one had a medicore World Series in many ways.

That's where it gets unfair.

Dude hit .365/.500/.808 in the playoffs that year. He hit clutch hit after clutch hit, and played a major role in all 3 series. Can't diminish anything he did that postseason.

People can do what they want. It's clearly a horrible contract and it's painful to think about having to watch him play it out. But the team has the best record in baseball, and is playing great. So to me, it's a little strange that people want to get focus on Alex struggling. Like someone else mentioned, Teixeira hit a really dramatic homerun last night and instead of just being excited about that, people start booing one pitch later.

If the team was really struggling I could see people getting frustrated that A-Rod isn't producing. Don't really get why people want to focus on that now though.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Wow, the crowd was really on him tonight. Apparently, it was like "Party like its 2006" night at the stadium.
    The Yanks may have some great fans, but this is proof we have our share of idiots.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets37 View Post
    That's where it gets unfair.

Dude hit .365/.500/.808 in the playoffs that year. He hit clutch hit after clutch hit, and played a major role in all 3 series. Can't diminish anything he did that postseason.

People can do what they want. It's clearly a horrible contract and it's painful to think about having to watch him play it out. But the team has the best record in baseball, and is playing great. So to me, it's a little strange that people want to get focus on Alex struggling. Like someone else mentioned, Teixeira hit a really dramatic homerun last night and instead of just being excited about that, people start booing one pitch later.

If the team was really struggling I could see people getting frustrated that A-Rod isn't producing. Don't really get why people want to focus on that now though.
    Yes, he's had one major impact postseason. I understand all the stuff about small sample size and all that..and that's fair to a certain degree. But the guy came here to produce in a major way and across seven postseasons, he's done that in one of them. Flags fly forever, I know, and without aRod there's a good chance they don't win in '09. But he will have, what a 15 year career in pinstripes? Two mvp's and one major postseason in fifteen years are not enough to keep this contract from being the worst contract in professional sports history, assuming his decline continues.

David Ortiz, from 2004 through to today, has slightly better offensive production for the Red Sox than ARod has for the Yankees and has earned $70m and has a contract expiring in about three months. ARod has earned, what, $230 million so far and will earn another $180 million on top of it.
    And, fairly or not, ARod seems to many to be an unlikeable guy.

So, you add the fact that he has what might be the worst contract ever to the perception that he's at best a strange guy and at worst a phony, and it's not hard to see why people don't like to root for him and will give him a hard time over the next six years of his contract.

Yes, he's had one major impact postseason. I understand all the stuff about small sample size and all that..and that's fair to a certain degree. But the guy came here to produce in a major way and across seven postseasons, he's done that in one of them. Flags fly forever, I know, and without aRod there's a good chance they don't win in '09. But he will have, what a 15 year career in pinstripes? Two mvp's and one major postseason in fifteen years are not enough to keep this contract from being the worst contract in professional sports history, assuming his decline continues.
    I don't think they expected a decline this early, nor did they expect him to produce like ARod up intil his late 30's, but two MVP's and a title that they don't win without him is a pretty big deal and tossing it aside seems kinda silly.

David Ortiz, from 2004 through to today, has slightly better offensive production for the Red Sox than ARod has for the Yankees and has earned $70m and has a contract expiring in about three months. ARod has earned, what, $230 million so far and will earn another $180 million on top of it.

And, fairly or not, ARod seems to many to be an unlikeable guy.
    What's the point of comparisons like this?

Then he gets here and has exactly one big postseason, in '09, and even in that one had a medicore World Series in many ways.
    Ah, yes, "many ways," probably referring to his woeful .250BA and discounting the three doubles, homer (down 3-0 to Hamels), and six RBI's.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I don't think they expected a decline this early, nor did they expect him to produce like ARod up intil his late 30's, but two MVP's and a title that they don't win without him is a pretty big deal and tossing it aside seems kinda silly.

Ah, yes, "many ways," probably referring to his woeful .250BA and discounting the three doubles, homer (down 3-0 to Hamels), and six RBI's.
    Don't feed the troll.

i didn't call it "woeful". I said "mediocre".

I'm not "tossing asside" two mvp's and a title. I said specifically that he's obviously produced in some years, as two mvp's clearly demonstrate. I also said that 'flags fly forever'. He played an instrumental role, clearly, in the 2009 postseason and they would very likely not have won that year without him.

Even with those things, if he goes fifteen years with one big postseason and one ring, his time with the Yankees, if adjusted against his contract and his expectations, will not be remembered fondly by most.

Some will disagree, and I see the point that the guy put up two or three monster type seasons and two or three other All star type seasons while with the Yanks. This isn't like a Carl Pavano scenario, obviously.

But the point I was making is that A-Rod made this deal for himself and I don't think it's unfair for Yankee fans not to be enamored with the guy. He has always been about getting the biggest contract ever, and doing so in attention getting fashion, and through his actions and words he's put himself up against standards that are very difficult to achieve.

If he remains where he is now...with a .340-.350 type OBP, and with 25 doubles and 25 home runs a year...for the next six years, he's fine. If he regresses yet again this year, and yet again in the year after that and so on, it's not going to be 'unfair' of Yankee fans to be pretty tough on him.

And Ortiz has complained almost daily to the media the past couple of years about his contract situation.

You know, I hear this a lot that Yankee fans, and baseball fans in general are "not fair" to A-Rod.

What exactly has A-Rod done to earn the affection of Yankee fans? Without a doubt, he had years where he put up HUGE numbers as a Yankee. Two MVP awards while in pinstripes speak for themselves.

So while it's ridiculous to say he's never produced for them, it's also A-Rod's own fault, every step of the way, that people don't want to root for him.

Before that, in '07, as true baseball fans were watching the end of the World Series, he decided to try to upstage it all by opting out during the final innings of the final game. Nobody detests the Red Sox more than I do, but it was totally low-rent to take away from their moment. It was downright embarassing.

Then, in all of his off the field behavior...hey, I don't really care what people do in their personal lives, but don't expect to earn any brownie points when seen with strippers while married, dating bizarre people like Madonna and using Kate Hudson as a prop basically...or so it seemed.

And now, as he's basically an average player at this point, we know we have him for 6 more years at $30m each...in all likelihood costing us Granderson or Cano in the process.

So, you know, as A-Rod continues his decline, I think every Yankee fan has the right to be less than enamored with him and boo him if they want. He's a drag on this team, he's contributed to one ring in 8 years and counting and was in the middle of the biggest collapse ever in 2004.

All his fault? No, but you can't expect cheers and warmth and affection when the production stops given all the other stuff that goes with this guy. I don't think Yankee fans are being unfair at all.
    Oldie but a goodie:
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That's the only thing I've ever really held against him. The disappearing acts in the playoffs, the off-field drama notwithstanding. Even if he signs that same exact deal with $27MM covered by the Rangers I wouldn't have complained. Opting out without keeping that money in play was ridiculous.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That's the only thing I've ever really held against him. The disappearing acts in the playoffs, the off-field drama notwithstanding. Even if he signs that same exact deal with $27MM covered by the Rangers I wouldn't have complained. Opting out without keeping that money in play was ridiculous.
    It was, but I still blame ownership for not penalizing him for it.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

i didn't call it "woeful". I said "mediocre".
    You said "mediocre in many ways" and didn't even list them. He had four XBH in that series, two of them which were fairly huge at the time.

You said "mediocre in many ways" and didn't even list them. He had four XBH in that series, two of them which were fairly huge at the time.
    Okay. In the 2009 World Series, ARod had 20 at bats with one home run, three doubles and one single. He walked 3 times and struck out 8 times. Not bad, not great.

.973 OPS is pretty terrible. What did you think of Giambi tenure as a Yank?

Okay. In the 2009 World Series, ARod had 20 at bats with one home run, three doubles and one single. He walked 3 times and struck out 8 times. Not bad, not great.
    He also had arguably the two biggest hits in the series. The HR in Game 3 off Hamels that erased an early deficit, and the game-winning double off Lidge in the 9th in Game 4..cant express how big Game 4 since if we lose that one, its 2-2 with us then having to force people to start on 3 days rest the remainder of the series. This also after Alex had huge hit after huge hit in the Twins and Angels series.

Yes he was pretty awful in 2005-06 postseasons. He was okay in 2007. Been quiet in 2010-11. I dont wanna rehash 2004, but its overlooked how awesome he was in those playoffs until the final few games vs Boston when EVERYONE went cold.

.973 OPS is pretty terrible. What did you think of Giambi tenure as a Yank?
    I don't know why you keep putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was 'woeful' and I didn't say his numbers were 'terrible'.

He had two terrible games in that six game World Series. Games One and Two, he went a combined 0 for 8 with 6 strikeouts.

Then, he had some terrific moments with two big hits.

And I'm quite sure you're not seriously looking at OPS over a six game span to make whatever point it is you're trying to make.

Thread Information