+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 151 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This is why I think the specific focus on hitting with RISP is overblown. Of the Yankee 3-4-5 hitters, two of them have no business being there anymore. That's going to create problems.
    Especailly when both are being paid like elite middle of the order bats.

A-rod is the highest paid player in MLB but has just the 10th best OPS of 3rd baseman this year.

Tiexiera is the 2nd highest paid 1B and 6th highest paid player but has just the 8th best OPS of 1st baseman.

For all of MLB they rank 75th & 53rd respectively in OPS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Tiexiera is the 2nd highest paid 1B and 6th highest paid player but has just the 8th best OPS of 1st baseman.
    He also ranks third behind A.J. Pierzynski and Kirk Nieuwenhuis in butchered last name spelling.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

And the season isn't even half way over yet. Plus, Tex rakes in June-August. He's been hitting pretty good this month, and July will be even better.

A-Rod I have small concerns about, but I know he'll pull it together.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    He also ranks third behind A.J. Pierzynski and Kirk Nieuwenhuis in butchered last name spelling.
    meh If I got paid what he does I could look up the correct spelling
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Kirk Nieuwenhuis should donate a vowel or two to Kent Hrbek.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

It's obvious that we're all concerned about Alex, I say this because we're all here and we're all worried even though we're in 1st place. I know that we've brought up that Barry Bonds would probably be a huge help for Alex if he were ever hired as some kind of coach or trainer, because we know he's been looking to work as a hitting coach.

Who better then then Mr Bonds himself, maybe the best hitter ever surely someone that could do a better job then that's being done. I'm not blaming Kevin Long or any of our staff, but I'm sure that we all agree that if Alex could pull himself together an just make better and more solid contact. That hits would follow, I can't remember the last time that I heard his bat make that unmistakable sound, that loud crack the sound of making solid contact..

I'm just not sold that Alex has lost his power yet, even though he hasn't hit many HR's this year most of the ones have been high and deep. Even most of his singles have been ropes! Still it looks like lately he has been going in reverse, maybe it's seeing pitchers that are new to him, or maybe it's his new position in the batters box standing closer to the plate. Which by the way doesn't seem to be working, he looks to be jamming himself even more.

What ever it is, we're in good shape being in 1st place with other Yanks picking up the slack for now. We can at least wait a bit longer before we hate him for not being up to our standards, and the truth is they gave him that contract no one twisted they're arms! No matter what happens with Alex I'll always be glad that he came here and wore the Yankee pinstripes, and gave us a lot to talk about...

Marc Rzepczynski says hi
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Marc Rzepczynski says hi
    He does? Well, what a nice guy. Pass along my regards.

The HR last night was encouraging

Looked like he even had to reach down a bit to get the ball, but it still went out to the deepest part of the park
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Tonights 8th inning AB pretty much sums up Arod's season .....so very close yet so very far.
    That has to be the 3rd-4th time this year, that Arod has hit an almost HR that would've come late for the tie/win, only to have it caught at the wall.

It used to be he would hit the ball and you would know it was gone. Now you just never know. He reached a little for that one a little bit.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

This version of both ARod and Teixeira in the middle of the line-up isn't optimal
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF MVP

In his defense the pitch wasn't a strike, if it was I believe it would have went out. Most of his warning track shots aren't strikes, that's how I see it.

NYYF Legend

It's not only the warning track power that's of concern. Often now he fouls off pitches that he once would have crushed.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    It's not only the warning track power that's of concern. Often now he fouls off pitches that he once would have crushed.
    No doubt, that's the problem he hasn't been making solid contact. He's been missing pitches that he used to kill.

I have no doubts that drive in the 8th tonight would have been a HR in past years. He still has power obviously and when he centers it perfectly...he can hit it a ton. But in his prime, he often still hit the ball a long way even when he didnt get all of it and didnt center it perfectly. Now those types die at the warning track and wall instead of going out.

This is why the $189m payroll will be a reality. Why throw good money after bad when the Yanks are spending $50m on #6 & #7 type hitters.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Triple Crown

I thought the failed homerun was just bad luck.

But the reality is he's aging. He can't just unage. It's impossible

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I thought the failed homerun was just bad luck.

But the reality is he's aging. He can't just unage. It's impossible
    Especially since the Fountain of Unaging is now off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Especially since the Fountain of Unaging is now off limits.
    David Ortiz must have the keys to the back door.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I have no doubts that drive in the 8th tonight would have been a HR in past years. He still has power obviously and when he centers it perfectly...he can hit it a ton. But in his prime, he often still hit the ball a long way even when he didnt get all of it and didnt center it perfectly. Now those types die at the warning track and wall instead of going out.
    I had to watch the game on ESPN and the first thing Aaron Boone said was that would have been a HR in Yankee Stadium and probably a couple other parks. He's right, but the difference now is that it didn't use to matter which stadium he them them - it was crushed.

I could have reached through the TV and choked the daylights out of Chris Berman. I had just walked into the room when I heard his annoying trademark call, "BAAACK, BACK-BACK-BACK-BACK" on A-Rod's almost HR. I thought he'd tied the game back up and it took a minute to realize he hadn't because I saw A-Rod trotting - not running.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

The overall decline of Arod' numbers carries an ominous overtone. He should be moved down in the batting order.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    David Ortiz must have the keys to the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    The overall decline of Arod' numbers carries an ominous overtone. He should be moved down in the batting order.
    To where? Its not like this team has a bunch of guys who are ready to step in there.

Unfortunately, we have too many players who are no where close to what their career numbers are.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    To where? Its not like this team has a bunch of guys who are ready to step in there.

Unfortunately, we have too many players who are no where close to what their career numbers are.
    Like who, besides A-Rod? Tex and Martin. Everybody else is close to their career numbers.

Thread Information