+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Both made it to the edge of the track. Neither was hit particularly hard. Neither posed any threat of being a base hit.
    No - neither ball posed as a threat to being a base hit. But that doesn't automatically constitute a 'soft liner'.
    To hit the ball to the warning track in any part of the stadium, you have to hit the ball more than 'softly'.
    Just my opinion I guess.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have no idea why people are defending this guy.
    Well, I'm not so much defending him as I am getting a kick out of your posts about him. It's like he kicked your cat or something.

To the extent that your posts are more about (a) an admonition not to sign him for 2013 and (b) a huge sigh of relief that the Yankees didn't sign him long-term earlier in the year, I'm with you. I don't buy into some of the crazy numbers I've seen posted about how many runs he's saved with his defense, especially considering I don't think his defense has even been that great this year.

But I will say, there is something about Martin I really like. It doesn't forgive his poor performance and it doesn't mean I'm pushing for the Yankees to bring him back next year, but it does make me reluctant to pile on when he struggles. It's not like we have any alternative in 2012. I look at him the same way I'm looking at Curtis Granderson right now -- no longer thinking about his season numbers and just hoping that he suddenly gets hot in late September and October.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Well, I'm not so much defending him as I am getting a kick out of your posts about him. It's like he kicked your cat or something.

To the extent that your posts are more about (a) an admonition not to sign him for 2013 and (b) a huge sigh of relief that the Yankees didn't sign him long-term earlier in the year, I'm with you. I don't buy into some of the crazy numbers I've seen posted about how many runs he's saved with his defense, especially considering I don't think his defense has even been that great this year.

But I will say, there is something about Martin I really like. It doesn't forgive his poor performance and it doesn't mean I'm pushing for the Yankees to bring him back next year, but it does make me reluctant to pile on when he struggles. It's not like we have any alternative in 2012. I look at him the same way I'm looking at Curtis Granderson right now -- no longer thinking about his season numbers and just hoping that he suddenly gets hot in late September and October.
    I don't have a cat.

I just hope the Yankee Brass sees his lack of skills and moves in a different direction for 2013.

And, of course, I hope he can contribute to some positive extent down the stretch, but sadly, I don't hold out too much hope that this is possible.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

I have no idea why people are defending this guy.

People on this forum defend him.
    The Yankee Broadcasters defend him.

Michael Kay actually said last night that he is having a good month this month, that he's batting .219 in August.
    At least he's headed in the right direction!
    Another month of that and he can finish over the mendoza line!

He's really been brutal. No idea what the Yanks will do at C next year but if it is another year of Martin & Stewart rocking out a 70ish combined OPS I can't say as I'll be happy camper.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I just hope the Yankee Brass sees his lack of skills and moves in a different direction for 2013.
    I'm just happy he didn't sign the extension that was on teh table in spring when he then said he wanted Yadier type money.
    And, of course, I hope he can contribute to some positive extent down the stretch, but sadly, I don't hold out too much hope that this is possible.
    I'd love him to post a September 12 similar to his April 11 but like you I'm not gonna hold my breath holding out hope.

It's too bad it was mostly a lost season for Romine - was hoping he'd be an option.
    Baseball is life;

It's getting to the point where being named after John Coltrane just isn't enough, even for me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Martin is fragile as was pointed out by another poster, but I'll also point out that the comparison to Posada is pointless. Posada expended much less energy behind the plate than Martin does. He didn't move nearly as well or as much.
    Posada saved energy by not even expending effort to frame a pitch or the occassional coming out of his squat as the ball was being delivered. Less wear and tear on the legs/hands.

I miss Jorge's offense a lot, but sure don't miss his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm just happy he didn't sign the extension that was on teh table in spring when he then said he wanted Yadier type money.

I'd love him to post a September 12 similar to his April 11 but like you I'm not gonna hold my breath holding out hope.

It's too bad it was mostly a lost season for Romine - was hoping he'd be an option.
    He can suck in September for all I care, as long as he doesn't pull another disappearing act in October. He looked utterly overmatched against the Tigers last year.

Girardi has Martin batting 5th tonight.

Someone needs to call Bellevue.
    Complaining is a choice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Girardi has Martin batting 5th tonight.

Someone needs to call Bellevue.
    Do they have a passable catcher who can hit over .200?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Do they have a passable catcher who can hit over .200?
    That explains why he's in the lineup-- not why he's batting fifth.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He can suck in September for all I care, as long as he doesn't pull another disappearing act in October. He looked utterly overmatched against the Tigers last year.
    um, he sucks in September the Yanks might not be playing October ball. Not saying Martin going on a tear if the key to the Yanks maintaining their 3.5 game lead but the Yanks seem to be running thin on healthy bats so any help Martin can give for the rest of the regular season would be greatly appreciated.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Girardi said he’s been encouraged by Martin’s recent at-bats, which is why he’s hitting so high in the order. “I really like the Russell is swinging the bat,” Girardi said. “He’s really got to try to change his luck a little bit.”
    sounds like Joe's found a new use for the "objective pipe" now that AJ in Pittsburgh.
    Baseball is life;

sounds like Joe's found a new use for the "objective pipe" now that AJ in Pittsburgh.
    Tomorrow afternoon Martin will be batting 1st.
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It's getting to the point where being named after John Coltrane just isn't enough, even for me.

Things we agree on: Coltrane and Martin
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I was asking if Bellevue had a passable C who could hit .200....
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I was asking if Bellevue had a passable C who could hit .200....
    oh.

Carry on then...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

OBP officially just fell under .300.

Fk yeah, .298 OBP catcher! His 1.2 WAR on the season is a miracle really.

All well and good, Joe, but the goal isn't to swing the bat, it's to hit the ball.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

He hit an RBI double off third base.

NYYF Legend

• Girardi again defended catcher Russell Martin's offense before Monday's game. Martin entered play batting .195 with 14 home runs and 36 RBIs in 109 games.

"I think he's hit the ball a lot harder than what the numbers indicate," Girardi said. "I think he's fallen victim to a lot of bad luck. I don't know if people who see him every day agree with me, but every day we say, 'There's another lineout for Russell.' It's been unbelievable
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Number support Girardi.

Some of you will say he's not hitting the ball hard but that's not true either.

He's hitting more HRs per FB than any other year in his career.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I think he has hit the ball harder than your run-of-the-mill <.200 hitter generally does. He probably has had some bad luck. I don't see him excusing it here though. I'm sure Girardi would rather see a bloop hit than a loud out for Martin all day every day. Just appears to be commenting on what is probably directionally accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I think he has hit the ball harder than your run-of-the-mill <.200 hitter generally does. He probably has had some bad luck. I don't see him excusing it here though. I'm sure Girardi would rather see a bloop hit than a loud out for Martin all day every day. Just appears to be commenting on what is probably directionally accurate.
    Calling all those fly balls to RF "hard outs" or "bad luck" is one way to look at them. Another would be "warning track power," which in Yankee Stadium is even worse.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

His fb% is in line with career numbers while his hr/fb is at a career high. The power is there.

Thread Information