+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    His defense isn't good either.
    Unless his pitch-framing has regressed significantly over past years (and again, I haven't seen the 2012 rankings, so it may have), I'm going to have to disagree.

We need a better backup to give him more time off.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    We need a better backup to give him more time off.
    We could offer the Giants Mark Montgomery for Hector Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    We could offer the Giants Mark Montgomery for Hector Sanchez.
    That would be a terrible trade.

Wonder how much Napoli would fetch. Obvious down year, but he can hit. Not sure how good he is behind the plate, though.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    That would be a terrible trade.
    Yeah, now that I think about it, it does leave the Giants with a hole at backup C. Maybe we should throw in Stewart and see if they'd give us back Kontos.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Wonder how much Napoli would fetch. Obvious down year, but he can hit. Not sure how good he is behind the plate, though.
    He covers the plate about as well as his mother covers her nipples.

as long as he brings her to every game.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Martin was doing a lot better after the all star break.

I don't think it's a coincidence his performance is suffering with him playing C 14 out of 18 days this month.

I've been saying for a while Martin needs rest to keep his legs under him. Girardi and Long must know this so Martin's struggles can be traced back to lack of depth at backup C.

.308 OBP is still higher than Chris Stewart's .289.
    this has been the issue for his entire career and it's a bit vexing they are still not fixing it with a decent time sharing schedule

i would venture to guess that they want to ride him very hard in teh reg season to depress his next contract. he'll rest prior to the post season.
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    this has been the issue for his entire career and it's a bit vexing they are still not fixing it with a decent time sharing schedule

i would venture to guess that they want to ride him very hard in teh reg season to depress his next contract. he'll rest prior to the post season.
    Granted he was basically run into the ground by the Dodgers early in his career, but what in your opinion is an appropriate number of GS and innings caught for a starting catcher? Last year Martin started 118 games at C, saw time in 125 total, and finished with 1044.1 innings behind the plate. This year he's on pace for 117, 130 and 1055.2

Posada, for all his faults as a receiver, exceeded those totals every year from 2000-2007.

It actually raises kind of an interesting question in my mind: With all the elaborate plans teams come up with to protect the arms of young pitchers (Verducci Effect, Strasburg inning limits, Joba rules, etc.), why don't organizations pay closer attention to protecting the legs of young catchers? I mean, a lot of people attributed Posada's longevity to the act that he didn't become a full-time starter until he was 28, and began his career as an infielder.

I guess in many cases it's just easier to have them change positions.

Granted he was basically run into the ground by the Dodgers early in his career, but what in your opinion is an appropriate number of GS and innings caught for a starting catcher? Last year Martin started 118 games at C, saw time in 125 total, and finished with 1044.1 innings behind the plate. This year he's on pace for 117, 130 and 1055.2

Posada, for all his faults as a receiver, exceeded those totals every year from 2000-2007.

It actually raises kind of an interesting question in my mind: With all the elaborate plans teams come up with to protect the arms of young pitchers (Verducci Effect, Strasburg inning limits, Joba rules, etc.), why don't organizations pay closer attention to protecting the legs of young catchers? I mean, a lot of people attributed Posada's longevity to the act that he didn't become a full-time starter until he was 28, and began his career as an infielder.

the thing is, he is an especially fragile catcher, so if you want to have him performing at say 90% instead of 30%, it is better to cut his usage even further below normal catcher's usage rate. that lost performance in terms of days played is more than made up by higher efficiency when he plays.

it's a person to person decision, and for martin, it's a game to game decision even.
    always reasonable

Martin started as a 3B, if I'm not mistaken.

I think Martin is a very intelligent catcher with excellent pitch framing abilities. Plus, he calls great games.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    He covers the plate about as well as his mother covers her nipples.

Ahhh... if we could all only be rich party animals with our lifestyles fully endorsed by family.

Notice where Napoli's glazed over eyes are semi-focused. Like father, like son.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the thing is, he is an especially fragile catcher, so if you want to have him performing at say 90% instead of 30%, it is better to cut his usage even further below normal catcher's usage rate. that lost performance in terms of days played is more than made up by higher efficiency when he plays.

it's a person to person decision, and for martin, it's a game to game decision even.
    Martin's 801.2IPs is 8th most for innings caught in all of MLB. It's not abnormally high but it's certainly an above average load.

Is it just me or does it seem like every ball he hits hard gets caught?
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

He didn't hit anything particularly hard last night, except his single off the pitcher.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He didn't hit anything particularly hard last night, except his single off the pitcher.
    Didn't hit hit two balls to right to the warning track?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Martin's 801.2IPs is 8th most for innings caught in all of MLB. It's not abnormally high but it's certainly an above average load.
    yea then that makes it even worse. even if stewart sucks they can gain some production by playing him more and allowing martin adequate rest.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Didn't hit hit two balls to right to the warning track?
    Both were pretty soft liners.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

You should get in touch with Martin and offer to write his biography.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    You should get in touch with Martin and offer to write his biography.
    I was there and had great views of both. If either had been hit hard, it would have fallen for a hit or carried to the wall. Neither was a matter of being hit hard or right at someone; neither was going to be a hit unless badly misplayed (which, to be fair, the right fielder looked capable of).
    - Barry Manilow

From the view on television, the defender was running towards the wall and caught the ball on the edge of the track in both cases.
    That constitutes more than a soft liner in my book.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I have no idea why people are defending this guy.

People on this forum defend him.
    The Yankee Broadcasters defend him.

Michael Kay actually said last night that he is having a good month this month, that he's batting .219 in August.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    From the view on television, the defender was running towards the wall and caught the ball on the edge of the track in both cases.
    That constitutes more than a soft liner in my book.
    Both made it to the edge of the track. Neither was hit particularly hard. Neither posed any threat of being a base hit.
    - Barry Manilow

Martin is fragile as was pointed out by another poster, but I'll also point out that the comparison to Posada is pointless. Posada expended much less energy behind the plate than Martin does. He didn't move nearly as well or as much.

Thread Information