+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

I hope he only catches 3 or 4 games a week going forward. Just a totally different player with his legs under him.

He has his moments, but he drives me nuts...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

SMH at how terrible he is at the plate.

I wonder who'll want him as their starting catcher? Definitely not the Sox.

NYYF Legend

................ing bum.

NYYF Legend

Thank God he didn't sign the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Except it's actually measurable..... and a real statistic. One that by itself alone makes him very valuable behind the plate. This is, again, without any other defensive metric even accounted for.

Since, you have no desire to do the work to understand.

I understand how sexy offense is but it's not even close to the full picture especially with a catcher. When Martin is healthy, swinging a good bat he is extremely valuable.
    Sorry, just jumping back in on this. It's not that I did not have the desire to do the work, well not fully, anyway. Thank you for the statistics. It is just difficult for me to get my head around the metric. I have no difficulty in understanding what it is supposed to represent, I just have to agree with the Yankee Tripper. I love Martin's defense and I do not think he is total garbage at all. However, the question now is, when does absolute suckitude at the plate trump the runs he is "saving" with his pitch framing capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Sorry, just jumping back in on this. It's not that I did not have the desire to do the work, well not fully, anyway. Thank you for the statistics. It is just difficult for me to get my head around the metric. I have no difficulty in understanding what it is supposed to represent, I just have to agree with the Yankee Tripper. I love Martin's defense and I do not think he is total garbage at all. However, the question now is, when does absolute suckitude at the plate trump the runs he is "saving" with his pitch framing capabilities?
    He could hit like a pitcher (he's not QUITE that bad yet) and still be more valuable than Jorge Posada was at C (for most years).

That clear enough?

The catcher is involved in almost as many pitches as the pitchers themselves. It really shouldn't be a surprise their defensive value can be awfully close to that of a pitcher's, which is apparently enough to let them bat .100 out of the 9th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    He could hit like a pitcher (he's not QUITE that bad yet) and still be more valuable than Jorge Posada was at C (for most years).

That clear enough?

The catcher is involved in almost as many pitches as the pitchers themselves. It really shouldn't be a surprise their defensive value can be awfully close to that of a pitcher's, which is apparently enough to let them bat .100 out of the 9th spot.
    JHC, condescend much? OK, everybody hear that. Martin can hit .125 and we should all fall on our knees and thank him for his greatness. So, Martin is the Justin Verlander or Felix Hernandez of catchers, then?

defensive metrics -- especially when you get into ones that go as far as to try and measure something like pitch framing ability -- aren't absolute.

they're handy and can suggest quality or a lack of, especially when you get into larger sample sizes, but they're no where near as perfectly precise as they'd have to be to merit the type of attitude some of you are pulling out over them.

That clear enough?

We managed to win four WS titles with that useless Posada.

That clear enough?

Better name names when you talk about hitting pitchers. There are more than a handful that, if given the amount of plate appearance Martin receives, could easily out hit him.

NYYF Legend

the dodgers were right all along
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    the dodgers were right all along
    So were the Red Sox...

He's become an embarrassment at the plate.

Looking at the bright side, at least he turned down the extension and we are not on the hook for a player who can't hit his weight for another few years.

NYYF Legend

he's having an aj burnett year as a hitter
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

What will it take to ensure that we don't re-sign baby Thurman over the winter? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    What will it take to ensure that we don't re-sign baby Thurman over the winter? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
    Put Cashman's head where George's is, then put Martin's head where Cashman's is.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I like him but the worst two years of his career have been with us. His last and worst year in LA saw him hitting .248 with a .347 OBP. That would make him one of the one of the best hitting catcher in the game this year.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

He's been drilling the ball since all-star break. The BA isn't there yet due to .160 BABIP but he's got .306OBP with .500SLG for .806OPS anyway with 3 HRs.

The results will come as long as he keeps, with enough rest, his legs under him.

Would he be interested in a 1-year deal for 2013? I think it would be good to have a Martin-Romine combo for next year, and we could determine whether either of those guys should be in the longterm plans moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    Would he be interested in a 1-year deal for 2013? I think it would be good to have a Martin-Romine combo for next year, and we could determine whether either of those guys should be in the longterm plans moving forward.
    I'm rarely against a one year deal and I wouldn't have much problem with giving him another year because there is no catching out there.

He's been drilling the ball since all-star break. The BA isn't there yet due to .160 BABIP but he's got .306OBP with .500SLG for .806OPS anyway with 3 HRs.

The results will come as long as he keeps, with enough rest, his legs under him.
    Yeah, his BABIP might be low but that happens when you don't hit well but make contact. His on base skills have always been good and given where his BA is, it's amazing that his OBP is over .300 which makes him a better lead off candidate than Ichiro.

You don't hit 3 HRs and get .500SLG in 36PAs by making weak contact.

You don't hit 3 HRs and get .500SLG in 36PAs by making weak contact.
    Oh, you're right. He's been better and against lefties, he's been doing it all year.

Thread Information