+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    The Yankees approached Martin and his agent about the extension. They are looking forward to 2014 and saw and opportunity to get under the cap and buy them a few years to develope another potential catcher. Three years max.

Martin's agent said they would be willing to work something out where he wouldn't be paid too much in 2014. Basically, heavily frontloaded for 2012 & 2013.

That wouldn't matter, though. The luxury tax number is the AAV of the contract, not the salary paid in an individual year. If it was, it would be easy for the Yankees to make that $189 million number in 2014
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    That wouldn't matter, though. The luxury tax number is the AAV of the contract, not the salary paid in an individual year. If it was, it would be easy for the Yankees to make that $189 million number in 2014
    I think Martin will be gone next year. He can get a better contract elsewhere since we wont be willing to extend the 2014 cap figure.
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

my gut tells me that they either wanted him now for three years or not at all. staring a three years next year isn't quite as advantageous. he'll leave and romine and/or stop gap will take over.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

martin is a top catcher in baseball. they should keep em.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    You are right and I should have thought about that.

I think I got caught up in some reports about working with the cap. Maybe the Yankees plan was to give him the extension to make sure he wasnt a bigger cap hit.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF Legend

Molina's deal set the bar so high that I don't see the Yankees bring him back next season. Hopefully he's a Type A.

i think they'll bring him back.

if not, can romine be the guy until sanchez is ready?
    I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

NYYF MVP

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/

No one knows for certain, but the feeling was that Russell Martin thought Roberto Andino was stealing pitches after he doubled in the ninth. The two went back-and-forth at each other when the Yankees were shaking hands after their first win of the season.

Martin admitted he started the shouting, but then played coy with the details. Andino did not speak to the media. Joe Girardi said he didn't really know what sparked it.

Martin first said he didn't remember what happened.

"It was a little yapping session toward the end," Martin said. "Nothing crazy."

What led to that yapping session?

"Maybe it was a look that I gave him or something," Martin said. "Is this Sherlock Holmes? Are you guys looking for clues or something?"

After a pause, Martin continued, "I think he was inviting me to a sparring session next offseason. I don't know. I'll get his number. We will talk it over later."

Will it carry over to Tuesday?

"Maybe it will make it more exciting," Martin said.

Martin, you will remember, got into it with the Jays last year over his perception they were stealing signs.

Not a great fan of shouting at the opposition and it'll be interesting to see if this continues tonight. My guess is that it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Not a great fan of shouting at the opposition and it'll be interesting to see if this continues tonight.
    I am. Especially if he was tipping pitches. Andino wasn't getting another AB so there was no chance to knock him down yesterday. By Martin yapping at him, he got the message hopefully without it carrying over to today.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Uh - I don't think it would be necessary to be tipping pitches with Rivera on the mound.

It's gonna be a cutter - bank on it.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Uh - I don't think it would be necessary to be tipping pitches with Rivera on the mound.

It's gonna be a cutter - bank on it.
    Location.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Clearly, the info Andino was relating worked. They rocked Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Location.
    Inside on lefties and outside on righties

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Inside on lefties and outside on righties
    There are better ways to deal with location tippers that are on 2nd base.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

What I actually came here to say is...you know that one pitch that Nova got a called strike on? And it clearly wasn't? Well, Martin's framing of the pitch brought it in the strike zone. That's why he got the call.

He's caught well so far this year and I can't say that he was poor last year. He certainly had his work cut out with sweaty freddy last night. Was having to throw himself all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    What I actually came here to say is...you know that one pitch that Nova got a called strike on? And it clearly wasn't? Well, Martin's framing of the pitch brought it in the strike zone. That's why he got the call.
    Russell Martin's pitch framing skills when compared to the average catcher is worth more than Robinson Cano's offensive production compared to the average second baseman and worth more that Troy Tulowitzki's offensive production compared to the average SS.

His pitch farming alone saves more runs then what elite offensive players produce. Add in other facets of his defense and you have to really see what an elite catcher this guy is. I hope this guy is a Yankee for a long long time.

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

He's caught well so far this year and I can't say that he was poor last year. He certainly had his work cut out with sweaty freddy last night. Was having to throw himself all over the place.

If you did, you'd be insane. He is as good as they get. Completely 100% serious. You can't say he was anything but great last year.

I thought that dropped ball at the play at the plate qwas going to come back to haunt the Yanks. Martin got worked over from Garcia last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    If you did, you'd be insane. He is as good as they get. Completely 100% serious. You can't say he was anything but great last year.
    Hence my comment about not being able to say he was poor last year. He's a good catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    I thought that dropped ball at the play at the plate qwas going to come back to haunt the Yanks. Martin got worked over from Garcia last night.
    Excellent performance behind the plate. The play at the plate was Jeter's fault more than Martin's. The throw wasn't good although I would hope Martin could pick it up.

Hence my comment about not being able to say he was poor last year. He's a good catcher.

Excellent performance behind the plate. The play at the plate was Jeter's fault more than Martin's. The throw wasn't good although I would hope Martin could pick it up.

yeah, Garcia was lucky to have 5 wp's

The play at the plate was Jeter's fault more than Martin's. The throw wasn't good although I would hope Martin could pick it up.
    I disagree-- the throw was knee high. It's not like he bounced it or anything. I think he just rushed to make the tag before actually making the catch.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Cy Young

I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees end up not feeling comfortable relying on Romine as a stop gap, given the back issues he keeps having. The concern was enough to get Stewart now; not sure they would want to let Martin go next year.

I guess I couldn't understand your tone. I took it a different way, obviously.

Thread Information