+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

I was trying to hold back on starting another thread for a player, but he's just being too awesome right now.

"I did the same type of work that they do in the weight room; my strength coach works with hockey players and MMA guys, so my conditioning level was just about as good as theirs," Martin said.

"Not quite as good -- those guys are fighting for their lives. I don't need to be prepared to fight three- or five-minute rounds. I have to run to first base, then jog around the bases when I do my job right."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...913606173-1038

I hope he plays much better!

Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

i think he should be given more rest time towards teh end of the season.
    always reasonable

He could play exactly the same and I'd be more then happy.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Now, I wasn't on these forums till whatever date of 2011 it says under my name/avatar. Was Posada pretty open about how pitchers were pitching to the press? I know he was open and honest with them, but if they questions never came up etc.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    I mean, he only started 118 games last year. In the past he's started 145, 147, and 136. It's easy to say that he was worn down at the end of the year, but the truth is he hit pretty terribly from mid-April on.

That said, I'm expecting a rebound. His BABIP was awfully low last year, despite his batted ball rates being more or less in line with his career numbers. He probably won't pop as many homers, but I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't post an OBP around .350 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    I mean, he only started 118 games last year. In the past he's started 145, 147, and 136. It's easy to say that he was worn down at the end of the year, but the truth is he hit pretty terribly from mid-April on.

That said, I'm expecting a rebound. His BABIP was awfully low last year, despite his batted ball rates being more or less in line with his career numbers. He probably won't pop as many homers, but I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't post an OBP around .350 next year.
    I'm going to give awy the benefit of the doubt and guess that the "teh" in the post is a sign he was joking - I hope so, since going into the season with a strategy of resting someone late is, well, crazy.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Looks like a very creative 2 year extension is on the way for Russell.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF MVP

I'm pretty sure that getting flattened at the plate with that elbow to the head might have taken a little wind out of his sail. What ever the case he played hard, maybe trying a little to hard at times, even so he made a believer out of me.

Lets face facts his defense is of gold glove caliber, he's like a wall back there, and he cuts down even the fastest base runners. I'm sold and convinced that we have the right man behind the plate...

Uh - I don't think it would be necessary to be tipping pitches with Rivera on the mound.

It's gonna be a cutter - bank on it.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Uh - I don't think it would be necessary to be tipping pitches with Rivera on the mound.

It's gonna be a cutter - bank on it.
    Location.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Clearly, the info Andino was relating worked. They rocked Mo.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Location.
    Inside on lefties and outside on righties

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Inside on lefties and outside on righties
    There are better ways to deal with location tippers that are on 2nd base.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

What I actually came here to say is...you know that one pitch that Nova got a called strike on? And it clearly wasn't? Well, Martin's framing of the pitch brought it in the strike zone. That's why he got the call.

They didn't give him an extension.

I guess one silver lining to this is the Yanks won't have to give him a long-term deal after the season...

Maybe he would accept a 1-year deal for 2013 while Romine breaks in at the major league level. Going with Romine and ditching Martin in 2014 could help the cap situation, and Romine cannot be that much worse of an offensive option at this point.

He's not even been that good defensively - supposedly his strong suit

And when CC uses Stewart as his personal catcher......

I think we're stuck for this year though- can't see Cashman making a move to upgrade as there's little out there that makes sense
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Martin is excellent behind the plate. I'd say sign him now when he's cheap.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Martin is excellent behind the plate. I'd say sign him now when he's cheap.

"Offense is obviously not the team’s strong point behind the plate, but defense supposedly is. Stewart has allowed the fifth most passed balls in the league (five) despite being a backup, and he’s only thrown out four of 14 attempted basestealers. That’s a league average 28.5%, hardly what you expect from someone touted as a defensive standout. Stewart seems like a classic Nichols Law of Catcher Defense guy, frankly. Martin has allowed four passed balls of his own and has only thrown out 12 of 51 attempted basestealers (below average 23.5%). The Rays showed him no respect by stealing seven bases (in seven attempts) over the last two games. Anecdotally, I consider the two to be about average or maybe even slightly above averageon defense, underwhelming compared to expectations and reputations."

http://riveraveblues.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    I guess one silver lining to this is the Yanks won't have to give him a long-term deal after the season...

Maybe he would accept a 1-year deal for 2013 while Romine breaks in at the major league level. Going with Romine and ditching Martin in 2014 could help the cap situation, and Romine cannot be that much worse of an offensive option at this point.
    If he has a strong second half, he'll get a multi-year deal easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeselover View Post
    If he has a strong second half, he'll get a multi-year deal easily.
    At least his perceived value will still be depressed, unless he rages in the second half, which is doubtful. His defense and pitch-framing is underrated, so even if he gets paid like a .280 OBP catcher, he'll likely be a pretty good value even while performing at that level offensively if he continues his strong defense (kinda like Gardner, when he was around).

The pitch framing is helping us big time. I would be worried if we let him walk.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Thank God he didn't sign the extension.

Thread Information