+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 497
  1. #201

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Everyday catchers tend not to get healthier as the season goes on. The break might help, but a week of crouching and he'll be hurting again.
    I'm too lazy to look it up - how old is Martin?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  2. #202
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Here's to a healthier / better second half for Mr. Martin. When healthy, he can be one of the best in the game.
    I think it hase been a long time since this claim could be made, like his early Dodger days.

    But if he could go .250/.350/.400 with 10 HRs and play good defense in the 2nd half, I'll sign up up for that right now. Heck if could just match last year's overall line of .237/.324/.408 from here on out, that wouldn't be terrible.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #203
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up - how old is Martin?
    He's 29
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #204

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He's 29
    I thought he was a couple years older than that. I guess he just plays like he's 39.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  5. #205

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    speaking from personal experience, that's right about when metabolism and recovery slow down.

  6. #206
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Here's to a healthier / better second half for Mr. Martin. When healthy, he can be one of the best in the game.
    If only because it can't get much worse offensively, I'm expecting him to snap back in the 2nd half.

  7. #207
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    If only because it can't get much worse offensively, I'm expecting him to snap back in the 2nd half.
    I hope you're right, but it would almost be like magic. Based on his performance for the entire first half, what indication is there that this could possibly happen?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  8. #208

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    his .193 BABIP is even lower than Teixeira's hitting into the shift.

  9. #209

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    The team needs an offensive upgrade somewhere. Catcher and DH are the only two logical/possible places. If Cashman is sticking with Martin, I can only hope an upgrade is made at DH.

  10. #210
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeselover View Post
    The team needs an offensive upgrade somewhere. Catcher and DH are the only two logical/possible places. If Cashman is sticking with Martin, I can only hope an upgrade is made at DH.
    The Yankees are getting a combined .308/.375/.517 out of the DH spot.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  11. #211

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Yankees are getting a combined .308/.375/.517 out of the DH spot.
    That's nice, however it doesn't really show the reality of the situation.

  12. #212
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Yankees are getting a combined .308/.375/.517 out of the DH spot.
    So much for rotating DH not working.

    If they acquire someone I'd hope it would be an OF under control past next season and add the OF to the rotating DH if need be.

    Though I expect they will be quiet on the trade front having you know the best record in baseball with CC coming back next week, Joba and Gardner maybe end of the month and Andy end of next month.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  13. #213
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeselover View Post
    That's nice, however it doesn't really show the reality of the situation.
    How does it not? A-Rod and Jeter are going to get DH at bats regardless, and the guys that would logically platoon (if Gardner weren't injured) at DH (Jones 206 sOPS+ as DH and Ibanez 166 sOPS+ as DH) have hit well when used that way. They've struggled at the plate when used as position players, which (you can see it in their eyes! notwithstanding) might have something to do with their comfort level sporadically playing in the field at this point in their careers.

    I would however like to see Branyan unleashed upon Yankee Stadium at some point.

  14. #214

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeselover View Post
    That's nice, however it doesn't really show the reality of the situation.
    huhhhhhhhhhhhh

  15. #215
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    How does it not? A-Rod and Jeter are going to get DH at bats regardless, and the guys that would logically platoon (if Gardner weren't injured) at DH (Jones 206 sOPS+ as DH and Ibanez 166 sOPS+ as DH) have hit well when used that way. They've struggled at the plate when used as position players, which (you can see it in their eyes! notwithstanding) might have something to do with their comfort level sporadically playing in the field at this point in their careers.

    I would however like to see Branyan unleashed upon Yankee Stadium at some point.
    Despite my oft-stated position on psychological interpretation, I will say this: if I were Raul Ibanez, I'd get pretty nervous any time I had to play the outfield.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  16. #216

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    How does it not? A-Rod and Jeter are going to get DH at bats regardless, and the guys that would logically platoon (if Gardner weren't injured) at DH (Jones 206 sOPS+ as DH and Ibanez 166 sOPS+ as DH) have hit well when used that way. They've struggled at the plate when used as position players, which (you can see it in their eyes! notwithstanding) might have something to do with their comfort level sporadically playing in the field at this point in their careers.

    I would however like to see Branyan unleashed upon Yankee Stadium at some point.
    I agree Ibanez and Jones have both hit exceptionally well when playing DH. However, I don't believe the numbers they are producing are actually sustainable and are of any indication of what is come in the future. If you look at their numbers the last few years, it looks more of a fluke to me. Also, I know you stated, "you can see it in their eyes," as somewhat tongue in cheek, however Ibanez has been playing in the NL the last many years and Jones looks great in the OF. Again, I don't think it has to do with comfort levels, I think it's just a freak occurrence.

    The only one that is DH'ing close to his what he should be is A-Rod. However, again, I'm not so sure those numbers aren't just a fluke and it wouldn't make any sense to get a 3B to replace Alex so he can DH considering his contract.

  17. #217

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think it hase been a long time since this claim could be made, like his early Dodger days.

    But if he could go .250/.350/.400 with 10 HRs and play good defense in the 2nd half, I'll sign up up for that right now. Heck if could just match last year's overall line of .237/.324/.408 from here on out, that wouldn't be terrible.
    I disagree. When healthy, his offensive production plays very nice from the catchers spot. Defensively, his pitch framing alone is worth more runs saved than even Cano's production as a second baseman is offensively compared to average. Again, just his pitch framing is worth him behind the plate.

    Jump back to my previous posts in this previous thread even and you will see what I mean.

    When healthy, he is elite. Hope for health and this guy in the lineup for years to come.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  18. #218
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    From ESPN INsider:

    The Yankees have no plans to trade for a new catcher despite a horrendous first half by Russell Martin, says Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger.

    Martin recently went hitless in 30 straight at-bats and is hitting .179 at the break. "I believe in Russell Martin, period," GM Brian Cashman said.

    It remains to be seen of Cashman will feel the same way if Martin continues to struggle early in the second half. ESPN Insider's Jim Bowden wrote Tuesday that the Athletics could be looking to deal Kurt Suzuki and listed the Yankees as a possible destination.

  19. #219

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Stewart also seems to be a pretty good defensive catcher with some of those same pitch framing capabilities. I say if Martin doesn't pick it up by the end of July, DFA him and bring Cervelli back. Remember that guy?

  20. #220

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Stewart also seems to be a pretty good defensive catcher with some of those same pitch framing capabilities. I say if Martin doesn't pick it up by the end of July, DFA him and bring Cervelli back. Remember that guy?
    Serious?
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  21. #221

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Serious?
    Partially. I just get the feeling that his "framing" abilities are getting the "Veritek intangible game calling/the best in the business at working with pitchers" treatment. Stewart and Cervelli are more than adequate defensive catchers. Like I said, if Martin comes out and puts up even .240/.310/.400, I'd be happy about that at this point. But, if he just cant get it together offensively, he at least has to sit more, IMO.

  22. #222
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Partially. I just get the feeling that his "framing" abilities are getting the "Veritek intangible game calling/the best in the business at working with pitchers" treatment. Stewart and Cervelli are more than adequate defensive catchers. Like I said, if Martin comes out and puts up even .240/.310/.400, I'd be happy about that at this point. But, if he just cant get it together offensively, he at least has to sit more, IMO.
    I don't think either Stewart or Cervelli could sustain those offensive numbers as an everyday catcher, and Cervelli (at least) is obviously inferior to Martin defensively.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  23. #223
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    From ESPN INsider:
    Kurt Suzuki?? The .211 / .248 / .259 Kurt Suzuki that catches, or is there another one?? The one that makes $5MM this year, and $7MM next year?

  24. #224
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Kurt Suzuki?? The .211 / .248 / .259 Kurt Suzuki that catches, or is there another one?? The one that makes $5MM this year, and $7MM next year?
    There are probably a bunch of Kurt Suzukis running around that we don't know about. Because it couldn't be that one.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  25. #225
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Russell Martin Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Partially. I just get the feeling that his "framing" abilities are getting the "Veritek intangible game calling/the best in the business at working with pitchers" treatment. Stewart and Cervelli are more than adequate defensive catchers. Like I said, if Martin comes out and puts up even .240/.310/.400, I'd be happy about that at this point. But, if he just cant get it together offensively, he at least has to sit more, IMO.
    I'd sign up for that too, and I think he's capable of it, but that's well above what you should expect from Stewart and probably out of Cervelli's reach as well. From what I've seen/read, Martin is superior to those guys defensively - particularly Cervelli.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts