+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    About Cano and that lazy lope of his out of the batter's box, isn't this something that the team Captain also ought to get on him about? It's time for these veterans to begin biting C's ass about his attitude. He's becoming a spoiled brat. If Jeter isn't ragging him--and I don't know whether he is or isn't--then he's not doing his job.
    I'm sure Robbie's excuse is that I just froze for a second when it was hit...but we all know his lack of hustle is the norm.
    I'm relatively sure Jeter has been on his butt about this. The real issue is that Joe G. has watched Cano's lack of hustled for several years now. I don't expect it to ever change.

When Jeter finally does retire, Cano may very well be the face of the franchise.

If I were taking Cano aside to talk to him about hustle, that's the angle I'd pursue. I wouldn't be looking to tear him a new one, I'd be trying to get him to see himself as a leader on this team that other players are going to look up to. He has to take on that responsibility and start setting the right example.

The flaw in the logic, of course, is that this team is so stacked with veterans, even among the bench players, that it's hard to find anyone on this team young enough or inexperienced enough to really be looking up to Robinson Cano. Maybe on some level this fact influences his behavior. But especially if he signs a mega-deal to stay here, he will eventually have younger teammates.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

The only player who is playing with any life.

NYYF Legend

From LOHUD:

Jeter now has 182 hits for the season, the most ever for a shortstop in his age-38 or older season, passing Honus Wagner who had 181 hits in 1912.

Quote Originally Posted by roblyo33 View Post
    From LOHUD:

• Jeter now has 182 hits for the season, the most ever for a shortstop in his age-38 or older season, passing Honus Wagner who had 181 hits in 1912.
    Barring injury, he will pass Mays this month (just 14 more hits to go).

NYYF Legend

Three more hits tonight and, a couple of nice defensive plays but, I'm sure the UZR went down, not sure about the WAR+. I'm sure I will be informed.

Words just can't describe how i feel about this man.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Barring injury, he will pass Mays this month (just 14 more hits to go).
    9 more to go now.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Devoted Member

Wow another multi-hit game for Jeter. He might have a shot for the AL Batting title if he keeps this up through the month.

Addicted Member

Back to back three hit games for Jeter, who is now batting .323.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    9 more to go now.
    6 more to go.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Back to back three hit games for Jeter, who is now batting .323.
    Yeah truly is amazing, just wish some of the other hitters would heat up.

4 points away for the lead for the Batting Title

It's unbelievable he's lost out on batting crown by a few pts to Mauer, Mueller, Nomar and now might miss out on another one.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RF21 View Post
    4 points away for the lead for the Batting Title
    If he stays hot, he has a real good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
    If he stays hot, he has a real good shot.
    4,000 hits. 300 home runs. It's a stretch...it's a big stretch...but wow...he'd be the only player in history to do both...

(as it is, he'd be the only player with 3800 hits and 250 home runs, but something about 4,000 and 300 that is such an incredible achievement)

If neither the Angels nor the Tigers make the playoffs, I'd have to think Hamilton is the MVP. But he will get his vote diluted a bit by the years Beltre and Murphy are having. It's probably not going to happen, but if Jeter goes on a tear these last few weeks....and ends up with 20 home runs and the batting title...it could get interesting.

If nothing else, he's clearly in the top 5 of voting I would think as long as he hits a couple of more and is near the top in BA.

MVP is admittedly a very quirky thing, but to even have him in the conversation this year after the past couple of years is amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If neither the Angels nor the Tigers make the playoffs, I'd have to think Hamilton is the MVP. But he will get his vote diluted a bit by the years Beltre and Murphy are having. It's probably not going to happen, but if Jeter goes on a tear these last few weeks....and ends up with 20 home runs and the batting title...it could get interesting.

If nothing else, he's clearly in the top 5 of voting I would think as long as he hits a couple of more and is near the top in BA.

MVP is admittedly a very quirky thing, but to even have him in the conversation this year after the past couple of years is amazing...
    Anyone voting for MVP based purely on stats (WAR, etc.) won't pick Jeter for MVP. It's not even close and he doesn't even have the highest WAR on his own team.

Anyone voting on the basis of intangibles -- i.e. looking for the most consistently strong performance on a team that had to dig deep and do several gut checks before (presumably) winning its division -- might give Jeter a good look. Even so, it's not like he had any "signature" clutch moments this year, like Miguel Tejada in 2002 when the A's won 20 in a row.

I'm a crazy big Jeter fan but unless he does something specific to carry his team into the playoffs, I don't think he's going to get even the most sentimental voter to pick him as the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    (as it is, he'd be the only player with 3800 hits and 250 home runs,
    Did I miss the part where he got to 3800 hits?

I get the idea, but combination stats generally seem contrived and unimpressive to me. 250 HR, or 300 HR, are nice numbers, but they're not ones to celebrate. 3800 or 4000 hits would be if he makes it that far, but that would be such an impressive achievement that the HR wouldn't add any noticeable value.

Yes he already has more HR than either of the guys with more hits than Aaron, and he has an outside chance to score more runs than either of them. He'll also have the fewest doubles, the fewest triples, the fewest walks, the most strikeouts, and the most GIDPs (Cobb's weren't counted, but it's a safe bet he didn't hit anywhere near 265). The HR don't embellish his achievement any more than those other numbers detract from it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Did I miss the part where he got to 3800 hits?

I get the idea, but combination stats generally seem contrived and unimpressive to me. 250 HR, or 300 HR, are nice numbers, but they're not ones to celebrate. 3800 or 4000 hits would be if he makes it that far, but that would be such an impressive achievement that the HR wouldn't add any noticeable value.

Yes he already has more HR than either of the guys with more hits than Aaron, and he has an outside chance to score more runs than either of them. He'll also have the fewest doubles, the fewest triples, the fewest walks, the most strikeouts, and the most GIDPs (Cobb's weren't counted, but it's a safe bet he didn't hit anywhere near 265). The HR don't embellish his achievement any more than those other numbers detract from it.
    Well, then, let me ask you this, sir: if you hate America so much, then why don't you just leave?

!
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Well, then, let me ask you this, sir: if you hate America so much, then why don't you just leave?

!
    Maybe I already did.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

5 hits to pass Mays. 9 hits for 200 this season. 21 more for 3,300 career.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Icon23 View Post
    5 hits to pass Mays. 9 hits for 200 this season. 21 more for 3,300 career.
    23 hits to the most since 1999 (214) and 28 hits to tie the most in his career (219). These are both possible since Jeter has averaged over 1.3 hits per game played this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
    Wow another multi-hit game for Jeter. He might have a shot for the AL Batting title if he keeps this up through the month.
    If he leads us to the division, and the Angels miss the playoffs, perhaps an MVP is in the works?
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    If he leads us to the division, and the Angels miss the playoffs, perhaps an MVP is in the works?
    I suggested the possibility earlier...but it's pretty remote. As others have pointed out, his numbers are just not there (his OPS is .816).

MVP is increasingly a quirky award...if we rule out all players who don't make the playoffs, and if the Angels and Tigers don't... then Jeter has to at least be in the conversation. Statistically, Cano is having a much better year...and yet from now to Game 162, I'd be hard pressed to say which one I'd rather be without if I had to choose.

Of course, neither is likely to win it as I think Hamilton will if the Angels don't make it...

Still a lot to be said for a shortstop who could win the batting title and will end up with probably something between 15 and 18 home runs...even with his defensive limitations, that's about as important a player as you can ask for.

Thread Information