+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Took a page right out of my book yesterday - don't get mad, get even. They knock you down, you get up and crush one. The Captain has spoken.
    Every once in a while, Jeter will jack one to left or left-center field and I always rewind it to watch it again. When he chooses to, he has a really sweet non-Jeterian swing.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Every once in a while, Jeter will jack one to left or left-center field and I always rewind it to watch it again. When he chooses to, he has a really sweet non-Jeterian swing.
    Every once in a while, yes. But those are the few times when he doesn't hit grounders - he's become the most extreme ground-ball hitter in the majors, by a considerable margin. He hits them hard, and many of them find holes, so it's working quite well right now. He hits into a ton of double plays, though, and I fear that the tendency has become so extreme that it will leave him susceptible to the sort of slump he had earlier in the year.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Every once in a while, yes. But those are the few times when he doesn't hit grounders - he's become the most extreme ground-ball hitter in the majors, by a considerable margin. He hits them hard, and many of them find holes, so it's working quite well right now. He hits into a ton of double plays, though, and I fear that the tendency has become so extreme that it will leave him susceptible to the sort of slump he had earlier in the year.
    OK. Not sure what to say about that, except that (a) I guarantee he will have another slump this year, as will everyone and (b) he's one of the best hitters on this team regardless of the ground-ball splits.

Back to my original point, that home run sure was spanked.

NYYF Triple Crown

OK. Not sure what to say about that, except that (a) I guarantee he will have another slump this year, as will everyone and (b) he's one of the best hitters on this team regardless of the ground-ball splits.

Back to my original point, that home run sure was spanked.
    He sent the ball a gift basket after the game.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Was surprised to see how well he's hitting righties this year: .281 and while his OBP is a little lower than desired at .334, it isn't terrible. Clearly he can still rake against lefties.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF MVP

Jeter had a pretty damn solid month of July after tailing off after the hot April to start the season.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

another multi-hit day for the Captain.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Addicted Member

How has it been 10 days since anyone posted in this thread? 2-5 tonight, batting .314 and leading the AL in hits.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    How has it been 10 days since anyone posted in this thread?
    He must be doing something right.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

He just tied some guy named Aaron with some sort of hits milestone and, not to mention, he leads the AL in hits unless Miggy went crazy tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    How has it been 10 days since anyone posted in this thread? 2-5 tonight, batting .314 and leading the AL in hits.
    From what I can tell, on this board, poor performance is implied in the title, so there's not much need for people to post in here.

He's hitting .348 over the last ten games! More impressively, he's hitting .295 with .342 OBP against righties. How many shortstops are out performing him?

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    He's hitting .348 over the last ten games! More impressively, he's hitting .295 with .342 OBP against righties. How many shortstops are out performing him?
    Offensively? According to wRC+, only Desmond, Cabrera and Reyes.

Defensively? Also according to Fangraphs, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

Offensively, that's great. Defensively, not surprised in the least.

I really don't understand why the defensive metrics hate Jeter that much. I watch just about all the games and I don't notice nearly as many "Jeter to his left" moments as there were a few years ago. He gets to most of the balls hit his way, he makes the occasional spectacular play, he makes very few errors, and he plays very smart defense. I'm not saying he's a GG but he's not the butcher some of these stats make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

Yet you totally discounted FG in a discussion about Soriano's defense. Can't have it both ways.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

I really don't understand why the defensive metrics hate Jeter that much. I watch just about all the games and I don't notice nearly as many "Jeter to his left" moments as there were a few years ago. He gets to most of the balls hit his way, he makes the occasional spectacular play, he makes very few errors, and he plays very smart defense. I'm not saying he's a GG but he's not the butcher some of these stats make him out to be.
    Dont believe that crap

Defensive Metrics say a 40 year Omar Visuqel is better than a 25 year old Omar Visquel

Thats all you need to know about Defensive Metrics

I don't get it either. He clearly doesn't have above average range, but I just don't see that many balls that get by him that it seems he should have had. Obviously, on balls right at him, he's as good as it gets, and for whatever it's worth he's obviously a heady player with great instincts. If he's a C+ type of defensive shortstop, I could agree. This stuff about him being the worst in the league is really hard to fathom. I'm not saying it's wrong, because I have no way to prove that it is, but it just doesn't pass the eye test.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Yet you totally discounted FG in a discussion about Soriano's defense. Can't have it both ways.
    I'm not a big UZR fan to begin with, but as I understand it, even its creators acknowledge that it takes about a three-year sample to be valid. Otherwise, the variability is so wild that it's really hard to take seriously.

Jeter UZR/150 -
    2007: -17.9
    2008: -0.4
    2009: 8.0
    2010: -5.4
    2011: -8.8
    2012: -22.5

Even if I decide to take it as a worthwhile statistic, one that I have confidence in, I'd have trouble drawing anything more than broad inferences from those numbers. I'd probably say he's declining over the last several years, and is now at least slightly below his career average of -6.5. Or I could just say he's always had good hands and limited range, and that being 38 isn't helping him any - but I already knew that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

They aren't perfect but Jeter fools many who watch him because he's smooth. He smoothly doesn't get to a lot of balls.

They aren't perfect but Jeter fools many who watch him because he's smooth. He smoothly doesn't get to a lot of balls.
    Very well put.
    - Barry Manilow

It's true that he doesn't have great range, but there's something to be said about handling pretty much everything he gets to.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

He's a great defensive shortstop. *Runs for cover*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's true that he doesn't have great range, but there's something to be said about handling pretty much everything he gets to.
    Totally. Still guessing our pitchers would like someone with more range.

Addicted Member

Can we stop talking about his defense? No mention of him going 3-5 with a HR?
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Thread Information