+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24 View Post
    Still hard to believe Derek Jeter will be 38 this week. Of all the players on the active roster, his performance and productivity requires the least amount of attention.

He's had a rough June, but if you dissect if further, it was actually a rough first part of the month and he's been much better over the past 10 days to 2 weeks.
    He and Mo are "one of kind".
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    He and Mo are "one of kind".
    Yep and we've got 'em both.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    Jeter's slumps are particularly bad because all he does is hit ground balls leading to fewer baserunners. It's painful to watch sometimes...hopefully he finds his stroke again soon.
    Over the last several years, that's what he's become, and I don't expect it to change. He's now the most extreme ground-ball hitter in baseball, but he also has a consistently high BABIP. He doesn't get many extra-base hits and he hits into lots of double plays, but he's still a good singles hitter.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I think nearly all of his slumps are due to poor pitch recognition and pitch selection. When he starts hitting ground balls like this, he's swinging at pitches in on his hands, often times pitches that aren't even strikes. He relies on going the other way. When he's right, he's inside-outing the ball to RF. When he's going wrong, he's jamming himself on inside pitches and rolling over ground balls to short and 3rd.

He really should move off the plate or open his stance just a bit and see if he can't drive those inside pitches back up the middle a little more. It might be enough to get pitchers to stop pounding him inside so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You should contact the Yankees and see if the 'internet batting coach' position has been filled.

True Fan since '81 SonnyinMiami's Avatar

Happy 38th to The Captain !!

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I think nearly all of his slumps are due to poor pitch recognition and pitch selection. When he starts hitting ground balls like this, he's swinging at pitches in on his hands, often times pitches that aren't even strikes. He relies on going the other way. When he's right, he's inside-outing the ball to RF. When he's going wrong, he's jamming himself on inside pitches and rolling over ground balls to short and 3rd.

He really should move off the plate or open his stance just a bit and see if he can't drive those inside pitches back up the middle a little more. It might be enough to get pitchers to stop pounding him inside so much.
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

I lol'd so hard when I saw that picture I forgot to post.

NYYF MVP

Till this day I remember Jeter's birthday because it was usually right in line with the last day of school give or take a day when I was in Elementary School and Middle School.

Happy Birthday, El Capitan!

NYYF Legend

September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

With two Singles last night, the Captain passed Paul Molitor, and entered the top ten for Singles in MLB history!

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

If you told me Jeter would be hitting over .300 in late June back in March I'd have taken it. But after the great start he go off to, .300 is a bit of a let down.

And Maynerd, the fact that he doesn't get a great deal of extra base hits isn't all that impressive to me.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    With two Singles last night, the Captain passed Paul Molitor, and entered the top ten for Singles in MLB history!
    Molitor was married for most of his career.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Jeter is actually hitting more GBs than he ever has in his career (1.98 GB/FB, 3.43 GO/AO are both career highs).

The early season surge was mostly supported by nearly .400 BABIP with grounders (over .400 overall). That was never gonna last.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    And Maynerd, the fact that he doesn't get a great deal of extra base hits isn't all that impressive to me.
    I was raised on Mickey Mantle, and watching him pass most of the (then) top ten on the HR list was a thrill beyond words. Yeah. I get it. Singles aren't sexy. But, even if it's a less-than-sexy counting stat, when you reach the point you've done something more often than only a small handful of Hall of Famers (and Pete Rose), I think it's noteworthy, and worth celebrating.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I was raised on Mickey Mantle, and watching him pass most of the (then) top ten on the HR list was a thrill beyond words. Yeah. I get it. Singles aren't sexy. But, even if it's a less-than-sexy counting stat, when you reach the point you've done something more often than only a small handful of Hall of Famers (and Pete Rose), I think it's noteworthy, and worth celebrating.
    Passing guys on the hit list = cool
    Passing guys on the singles list = meh and a by product of above.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

101 OPS+

Now that's what you expect from a 38 years old SS.

NYYF Triple Crown

Today he had 3 hits for the first time since May 23. He ended a streak of 37 consecutive games with 2 hits or fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Today he had 3 hits for the first time since May 23. He ended a streak of 37 consecutive games with 2 hits or fewer.
    So...
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Molitor was married for most of his career.
    that was funny -- I just wanted you to know that someone noticed.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    that was funny -- I just wanted you to know that someone noticed.
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    101 OPS+

Now that's what you expect from a 38 years old SS.
    Actually, back in the day that type of production from any SS was all-star material.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Actually, back in the day that type of production from any SS was all-star material.
    Yes, assuming a slick-fielding shortstop, which was more highly valued than offensive production from the position back in the day. Ed Brinkman or Mark Belanger would have had to add two seasons together to get to 101 OPS+, but Jeter never had the glove either of them did.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes, assuming a slick-fielding shortstop, which was more highly valued than offensive production from the position back in the day. Ed Brinkman or Mark Belanger would have had to add two seasons together to get to 101 OPS+, but Jeter never had the glove either of them did.
    Slick fielding has nothing to do with it, any SS back in the day with a 101 OPS+ would be an all-star caliber SS.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Slick fielding has nothing to do with it, any SS back in the day with a 101 OPS+ would be an all-star caliber SS.
    Slick fielding is relevant because that was what was considered important for a shortstop back then. That's how shortstops became starters.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information