+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Maybe I'm just overly influenced by last night, when he made a couple of terrific plays. On one, he went far to his left, between the pitcher and shortstop, to get a slow bouncer that Jeter could never have gotten to.
    I believe he was already in motion (expecting bunt) on that play. There is no way he gets to that ball under normal circumstances.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I believe he was already in motion (expecting bunt) on that play. There is no way he gets to that ball under normal circumstances.
    That may be but I do think that overall he had a very good defensive night.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    Granderson definitely has issues with routes and jumps, certainly enough so that it's not at all surprising he's "negative", but projecting him out to -34.8?

even when you account for the significant sample size issues in play, something doesn't quite seem to pass the sniff test there.
    maybe his UZR is worse this yr 'cause Gardner isnt there sharing Left-center field with him. He surely has to position differently now.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    maybe his UZR is worse this yr 'cause Gardner isnt there sharing Left-center field with him. He surely has to position differently now.
    It would be the opposite. He should now be catching balls that Gardner would normally be taking from his zone as well as having to catch balls in Ibanez zone. I think a lot of it has to do with him playing so shallow and taking away singles at the expense of giving up extra base hits over his head.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Didn't go back very far in the conversation here but just wanted to chime in and say he's leading in votes for the ASG at SS. I'm happy about it, and a bit shocked. Does America really respect him that much? I am shocked since he's a Yankee.
    He's having a very solid year, nice rebound. He's pretty universally loved. I'm sure there are plenty of non-Yankee fans that would rank him at the top of their "most hated" lists too, but they're going to vote for their hometown guy anyway. There is a non-trivial number I'd guess of non-Yankee fans that respect if not adore Jeter. So it's not really shocking; his season merits it, his career merits it and the ASG is a popularity contest to large extent.

All that said, Asdrubal Cabrera is probably the most deserving this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    This is an interesting point. Gardner probably gobbled up some fly balls that were to left center that Granderson might not have gotten to that are now hurting his UZR. Or they shade him so far to LF to make up for Jones/Ibanez/etc that a few drop in towards right center.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He's having a very solid year, nice rebound. He's pretty universally loved. I'm sure there are plenty of non-Yankee fans that would rank him at the top of their "most hated" lists too, but they're going to vote for their hometown guy anyway. There is a non-trivial number I'd guess of non-Yankee fans that respect if not adore Jeter. So it's not really shocking; his season merits it, his career merits it and the ASG is a popularity contest to large extent.

All that said, Asdrubal Cabrera is probably the most deserving this year.
    Yeah you're probably right. I agree with everything except I think Andrus is more deserving than Cabrera. But I'm sure you're looking at Cabrera defensively since he is on the highlights every night. I know he's superior defensively. At least I think he is. I haven't actually looked at that in detail.

NYYF Triple Crown

He has now hit more home runs than he did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Yeah you're probably right. I agree with everything except I think Andrus is more deserving than Cabrera. But I'm sure you're looking at Cabrera defensively since he is on the highlights every night. I know he's superior defensively. At least I think he is. I haven't actually looked at that in detail.
    Cabrera is also having the best offensive season of any of them: .301/.389/.476.

Going forward, Andrus is the guy I'd want on my team, but he hasn't had that breakout season yet. Cabrera is having his this year.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Cabrera is also having the best offensive season of any of them: .301/.389/.476.

Going forward, Andrus is the guy I'd want on my team, but he hasn't had that breakout season yet. Cabrera is having his this year.
    Well, I'm not so sure if you take Andrus SB into account it's more than you think. It's debatable all around though, I suppose there is no one that stands out more than anyone statistically.

I need to stop judging players on their roto ranks though. I was certain Andrus was superior because he's ranked the best AL SS right now. In all formats of FBB that I play in he's ranked the highest for AL. And I know because I have him on 3 teams. Sorry, I'm in FBB mode right now so it's mostly how I view players.

Jeter's last 42 games: .247 BA, .312 OBP, 2 HR, 10 RBI.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Jeter's last 42 games: .247 BA, .312 OBP, 2 HR, 10 RBI.

He's not going to hit like Ty Cobb the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He's not going to hit like Ty Cobb the whole season.
    Oh really? I was sure he'd bat .450.

.247 with no power over 42 games is below league average. I'm not looking for Cobb here, but the contrast between his last month and a half vs. what he did since the 2nd half of last year is stark.

Oh really? I was sure he'd bat .450.

.247 with no power over 42 games is below league average. I'm not looking for Cobb here, but the contrast between his last month and a half vs. what he did since the 2nd half of last year is stark.
    Yet he still leads the team in BA and is .002 from leading them in OBP.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Yet he still leads the team in BA and is .002 from leading them in OBP.
    I don't know why people are convinced I'm suggesting that he's having a bad season or that he sucks.

I'm just pointing out that he's in a prolonged slump.

Jeter's slumps are particularly bad because all he does is hit ground balls leading to fewer baserunners. It's painful to watch sometimes...hopefully he finds his stroke again soon.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    Jeter's slumps are particularly bad because all he does is hit ground balls leading to fewer baserunners. It's painful to watch sometimes...hopefully he finds his stroke again soon.
    I think nearly all of his slumps are due to poor pitch recognition and pitch selection. When he starts hitting ground balls like this, he's swinging at pitches in on his hands, often times pitches that aren't even strikes. He relies on going the other way. When he's right, he's inside-outing the ball to RF. When he's going wrong, he's jamming himself on inside pitches and rolling over ground balls to short and 3rd.

He really should move off the plate or open his stance just a bit and see if he can't drive those inside pitches back up the middle a little more. It might be enough to get pitchers to stop pounding him inside so much.

I think nearly all of his slumps are due to poor pitch recognition and pitch selection. When he starts hitting ground balls like this, he's swinging at pitches in on his hands, often times pitches that aren't even strikes. He relies on going the other way. When he's right, he's inside-outing the ball to RF. When he's going wrong, he's jamming himself on inside pitches and rolling over ground balls to short and 3rd.

He really should move off the plate or open his stance just a bit and see if he can't drive those inside pitches back up the middle a little more. It might be enough to get pitchers to stop pounding him inside so much.
    You should contact the Yankees and see if the 'internet batting coach' position has been filled.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You should contact the Yankees and see if the 'internet batting coach' position has been filled.
    Well they don't currently have anyone doing the job as in-dugout batting coach, so maybe they'll take what they can get.

umm, I don't think any of us are really qualified to critique Mr. Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    umm, I don't think any of us are really qualified to critique Mr. Jeter.
    That's like saying nobody is qualified to critique Steven Spielberg. Just because someone is one of the best at what they do doesn't mean that a fan can't observe what they're doing wrong.

I think Jeter is one of the more patient hitters on the team. I trust him to do his thing. it looks like timing more than anything. He also seems (I could be wrong, haven't had a chance to watch a lot of games since his slump) to be fouling a lot of pitches off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think I found the internet pitching coaching that used to be prevalent more interesting, to be honest, than the recent hitting coach fad.

it required more creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    I think I found the internet pitching coaching that used to be prevalent more interesting, to be honest, than the recent hitting coach fad.

it required more creativity.
    I am the internet GM, so you need to clear all this with me anyway.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Still hard to believe Derek Jeter will be 38 this week. Of all the players on the active roster, his performance and productivity requires the least amount of attention.

He's had a rough June, but if you dissect if further, it was actually a rough first part of the month and he's been much better over the past 10 days to 2 weeks.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Thread Information