+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The dude had hand injuries that season. How does a batter drive the ball with an injured hand?
    That was 2008 I think.

But it's not important. I never bought the whole, Jeter lost all of his power and bat speed over the course of a month because sometimes aging works that way.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DontTradeMontero View Post
    That was 2008 I think.

But it's not important. I never bought the whole, Jeter lost all of his power and bat speed over the course of a month because sometimes aging works that way.
    I think it had something to do with his 2010 as well
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Congratulations to the Captain for passing Dave Winfield on the all-time hits list.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Congratulations to the Captain for passing Dave Winfield on the all-time hits list.
    Mr. November passes Mr. May.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Mr. November passes Mr. May.
    Ha ha sure hope Reggie was watching.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

congrats captain

I've rolled my eyes at the whole 'intangible' thing for years...but I have to say, Jeter is the position player, still, that I think I'd least like to lost to injury for any extended time.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I've rolled my eyes at the whole 'intangible' thing for years...but I have to say, Jeter is the position player, still, that I think I'd least like to lost to injury for any extended time.
    Cano. Granderson.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Captain is 3rd in MLB in both hits (26) and total bases (42). Simply unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Icon23 View Post
    Captain is 3rd in MLB in both hits (26) and total bases (42). Simply unbelievable.
    I guess he should be batting 9th
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Cano. Granderson.
    I'll add Sabathia. Even though he is off to a slow start (which isn't that unusual) he anchors a starting staff that doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I guess he should be batting 9th
    Muggs.... that'll be later this season when he hits a little slump.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Yankee fan since 1990

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Muggs.... that'll be later this season when he hits a little slump.

Definitely later this season as he certainly hasn't hit a slump tonight: 4 for 4.

Apparently Derek is going for his second 3 thousand hits this season
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The dude had hand injuries that season. How does a batter drive the ball with an injured hand?
    I missed this before, but my point was more that he had to have hid either whatever was wrong with him or the severity of what was wrong with him then (if it was a health based problem at all).

if it was just the known hand injuries, the Yankees wouldn't have pushed a new batting stance on him that ended up helping to make him one of the worst hitters in baseball for a thankfully short time. Jeter's Jeterness, in this case, may well have screwed himself and the team, in terms of on-field production, over.

Jeter also has a 13 game hitting strike. I'd love it if he made a serious run at Joe D's number.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    Jeter also has a 13 game hitting strike. I'd love it if he made a serious run at Joe D's number.
    Slow down.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    This must be a joke. That said, Jeter is having a hell of a start.

I decided to look it up on baseball reference, and indeed, this is certainly one of the best he's ever had.

Jeter has never had more than 5 HR in April, more than 20 RBI or had a higher BA than .398. He has never had more than 35 hits in April (which is a huge number, of course).

After this 4-5 night, Jeter is currently hitting .411, with 30 hits, 5 doubles and 4 HR. He has 13 RBI and 14 runs scored, with a 1.080 OPS. That's the third best OPS he's ever had in April - with the other two great seasons being 1999 and 2006 (both years Jeter deserved MVP).

had a great case in 2009 too
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Heh. Tim Kurkjian told Jeter that Girardi said that his chase for 3,000 may have caused his poor first half last year. Jeter's response (with a straight face) "that's absolutely not true at all".

All I know is that for years I was slightly in the camp that Jeter was a bit overrated and that his defense was a bit of a liability.

As time goes on, all I can say is 'wow'. And 'I was wrong'.

We're watching the modern day equivalent of Joe DiMaggio. and he's better than DiMaggio given the competition, the scrutiny and the fact that this is a world game now...no more competing with white men who served as plumbers in the offseason.

Derek Jeter is underrated. we will not see it again.

It's just incredible that many of us have seen two of the all time greats play their entire careers with the Yanks.

Jeter has been a class act, a great Captain and a hell of a Hall of Fame player.

Then there's Mo...

Simply the best ever at his position.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    All I know is that for years I was slightly in the camp that Jeter was a bit overrated and that his defense was a bit of a liability.

As time goes on, all I can say is 'wow'. And 'I was wrong'.

We're watching the modern day equivalent of Joe DiMaggio. and he's better than DiMaggio given the competition, the scrutiny and the fact that this is a world game now...no more competing with white men who served as plumbers in the offseason.

Derek Jeter is underrated. we will not see it again.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    I think in terms of personality and stature, Joe DiMaggio is a very good comp for Derek Jeter. For those of us too young to have seen Joe D play, Jeter is probably the closest we'll ever come to understanding what that was like.

But in terms of on-field performance, as much as I love Derek Jeter I don't think you can put him on the same level as DiMaggio.

The Yankees' Mount Rushmore will always be Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle. (I've heard people make the case that Rivera belongs there, too ... and I can see where they're coming from, but there's a bit of apples and oranges in it for me.) Speaking strictly about the hitters, Jeter is a notch below those other guys, but I think 3,000 hits (and counting) makes him worthy of mention in the same breath.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I pretty much agree with Lou's Mount Rushmore. I tend to stress peak value over longevity more than most, so I rate both Joe and Mickey higher on the all-team all-time list than would many. If Jeter had a bit more power, he would be there.

This takes nothing away from Jeter's greatness or the pleasure I have had rooting for him, however.

Actually I don't like the Jeter-DiMaggio comparison because I like Jeter more as a person, at least from what I have read about Joe and Derek.

Thread Information