+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

The Captain's double last night was his 800th Extra Base Hit. While Hank Aaron's 1477 are clearly safe, round numbers are always sexy milestones.

The next milestone I see for him is cracking the top 20 for runs scored. He's at 1772, just 2 runs behind Charlie Gehringer.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I may be the biggest DJ fan and supporter there is, but I don't like what I see when he's hitting against RHP right now.
    No, I think that's me.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

NYYF Legend

Then you guys will have to ante up

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...er-game-ticket
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Derek Jeter is destroying baseball so far in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    No, I think that's me.
    Hilarious. I thought very seriously about saying "Allow me to introduce you to White Knight" but I held off.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    The Captain's double last night was his 800th Extra Base Hit. While Hank Aaron's 1477 are clearly safe, round numbers are always sexy milestones.

The next milestone I see for him is cracking the top 20 for runs scored. He's at 1772, just 2 runs behind Charlie Gehringer.
    He needs 1 RBI for 1,200 (he's tied for 144th in career RBI) and 4 walks for 1,000 (he's tied for 114th in career walks). He's tied with Jim Edmons in RBI and 2 behind Edmonds in walks.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Jeter's first hit today was the 3100th of his career, officially making him only the 20th person in MLB history to get 3100 hits.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I must have had a poor view of it because I thought it bounced way in front of Martin.

'twas awesome!
    I went back and looked at the box score for 4/10 and low and behold, there was an error on Martin a catch E that's what it said. I tried to dig deeper but it's not really my thing, I'm pretty sure that the ball hit him on the fly.. Does anybody else know?? Oh the play was Jeter throwing home to get a base runner Martin dropped the ball, Garcia was pitching that day...

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I went back and looked at the box score for 4/10 and low and behold, there was an error on Martin a catch E that's what it said. I tried to dig deeper but it's not really my thing, I'm pretty sure that the ball hit him on the fly.. Does anybody else know?? Oh the play was Jeter throwing home to get a base runner Martin dropped the ball, Garcia was pitching that day...
    The throw was a little off to the right (or Martin's left), but it was doable. It popped right out of Martin's glove. It seemed that he was fearing a possible collision.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

he's been hitting the lefties very well thus far.

Addicted Member

Getting back on topic, Jeter is on fire. A double and a three run home run.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Could have easily had four hits ... maybe even the cycle. He got very unlucky on the ball that deflected off the pitcher, and his flyout to LF was a bomb.

NYYF Legend

I think getting that 3,000th hit last year weighed on him a lot more than he let on, which is exactly the way you'd expect him to handle it - just go out there and play. He's relaxed and overall, seems to be having fun out there again. Great to see.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I think getting that 3,000th hit last year weighed on him a lot more than he let on, which is exactly the way you'd expect him to handle it - just go out there and play. He's relaxed and overall, seems to be having fun out there again. Great to see.
    That's what Girardi Sid last night during the game. That certainly could have been the case but the poor hitting started a long time before he was nearing his 3000th hit.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    That's what Girardi Sid last night during the game. That certainly could have been the case but the poor hitting started a long time before he was nearing his 3000th hit.
    It could have been a combination of the contract year (and the ugliness with the front office, which probably extends back into the 2010 season even though it only became public in the offseason) and the 3,000th hit.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

I thought Jeter found the fountain of youth during his minor league rehab when he was able to work with his old hitting coach. Since then he has been brilliant.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Siena will recognize legendary New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter with an honorary degree during the College's 2012 Commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 13.
    The Yankees Captain will become a member of Siena's Class of 2012 when he receives a Doctor of Humane Letters degree in recognition of his leadership, accomplishments on the baseball field and dedication to improving the lives of young people through his Turn 2 Foundation. This is Derek Jeter's first honorary degree.

"We all know that Derek Jeter is a tremendous athlete, but this is an opportunity for the Siena community to honor and share in his commitment to young men and women," said Vice President for Academic Affairs Linda Richardson, Ph.D. "Jeter's Turn 2 Foundation encourages our youth to remain in school and to stay healthy. Siena will support our joint mission of academic excellence by providing two full grants to academically-qualified students who have participated in one of the many Turn 2 Foundation Signature Programs."

While Jeter and the Yankees will be in action against the Seattle Mariners on graduation day, his presence will be felt during the Commencement ceremony through a personalized video message that will be played on the video board in the Times Union Center. His sister, Sharlee Jeter, President of the Turn 2 Foundation, will accept the honorary degree on his behalf.

"To be awarded an honorary degree is a very humbling experience for me. I am proud to have a great institution, Siena College, recognize me for what I've accomplished on and off the field," said Derek Jeter. "The partnership between Siena and my Turn 2 Foundation is a testament that what I have done off the field to encourage young people to pursue their educational dreams is worthwhile. I will cherish this degree as highly as any honor I have received or will receive over the years."
    http://www.sienasaints.com/genrel/041612aaa.html

Honored to be graduating with El Capitan.

Now batting for the Yankees, the short stop, Number 2, Doctor Derek Jeter, Number 2.

Addicted Member

Another HR, 2-4 on the day. Best 37 year old SS in MLB history.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot about Honus Wagner and his amazing years in his late 30's. But certainly the best 38 y/o SS in modern times.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Jeter currently on pace for:

275 hits
    48 HR
    113 RBI
    97 Runs scored
    .377 BA

and the AL MVP Award if he does all that.

NYYF Legend

I love how everyone last season wanted him to bat 7th, 8th or 9th and now that he's mashing everyone is back on board.

Jeter will always be leadoff whether he's hitting .378 or .224
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

The only down side to his performance so far is that Girardi won't be able to give him some rest. However, it's early, so he shouldn't need it. Until the starting rotation starts to turn in some quality games, they're going to need the offense.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I love how everyone last season wanted him to bat 7th, 8th or 9th and now that he's mashing everyone is back on board.

Jeter will always be leadoff whether he's hitting .378 or .224
    I don't think any of us will apologize for valuing performance over sentiment.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    His production this season has nothing whatsoever to do with where he should have hit in the lineup during an extended slump last season.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    The only down side to his performance so far is that Girardi won't be able to give him some rest. However, it's early, so he shouldn't need it. Until the starting rotation starts to turn in some quality games, they're going to need the offense.
    You wanna bet? Jeter will be getting a game off in the next few days or so because the Yankees are playing 13 games in a row. One thing Girardi seems to be focus on is making sure his players, particularly, his older ones get the proper rest so they remain healthy and productive throughout the season.

Thread Information