+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Derek Jeter Performance Thread

Still hate the thinking behind his contract but I'm glad he's raking like he use to. Well done Derek.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I don't even think that includes last night.
    Nope, it didn't.

.575 / .571 / .900

307 sOPS+

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Example of why you don't automatically say PED when a player plays well at his 37,38.
    I figured this season would really either raise or put an end to questions since they're testing for HGH now.

Well, that settles that.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Apparently, Jeter's trading errors in place of strikeouts tonight. He's killing the team. Nunez should be the everyday shortstop.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by kfowler1 View Post
    Apparently, Jeter's trading errors in place of strikeouts tonight. He's killing the team. Nunez should be the everyday shortstop.
    I agree. Nuney would have a legitimate shot at the Rafael Rawling Palmiero Gold Glove Award. No shot with him playing all these different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    I agree. Nuney would have a legitimate shot at the Rafael Rawling Palmiero Gold Glove Award. No shot with him playing all these different positions.

Maybe he'll win four.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Maybe he'll win four.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable handing him anything breakable.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Devoted Member

On it:

Thank you for new Avatar, Mr. Coffee, very nicely done, especially the look, one of the better photoshops I've seen
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable handing him anything breakable.

Nunez = Roberto Duran + Chuck Knoblauch.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Well done, sir.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Deleted
    Last edited by kfowler1; 05-05-12 at 11:43 PM. Reason: I was making a dumb meme.

When Gardner comes back, he should lead off and Jeter should bat 9th.

Addicted Member

Nice game today for Jeter.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

NYYF MVP

Just for some perspective on just HOW hot Jeter's been:

Provided he stays healthy, if Jete repeats his 2010 .270/.340/.370 performance over the next 130 games (612 PAs), he'll still finish with a .293/.358/.411 slash line and 50 XBH.

If he repeats last year (putrid start included) over the next 131 games (607 PAs), he'll finish with a .315/.370/.426 slash line and 48 XBHs.

If he repeats his post-DL numbers, we're looking at a .343/.394/.474 line, with 55 XBHs. That would see him maintaining a .396 BABIP over the course of the season (but hey, he's had seasons with .396, .386, .379, and .391 BABIPs in the past).

In other words, even if this is just a very hot streak, unless Jeter completely bottoms out over the rest of the season, as long as he stays healthy he's pretty much locked up a more statistically productive season than I think anyone here predicted.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post

Provided he stays healthy, if Jete repeats his 2010 .270/.340/.370 performance over the next 130 games (612 PAs), he'll still finish with a .293/.358/.411 slash line and 50 XBH.

If he repeats last year (putrid start included) over the next 131 games (607 PAs), he'll finish with a .315/.370/.426 slash line and 48 XBHs.

If he repeats his post-DL numbers, we're looking at a .343/.394/.474 line, with 55 XBHs. That would see him maintaining a .396 BABIP over the course of the season (but hey, he's had seasons with .396, .386, .379, and .391 BABIPs in the past).

In other words, even if this is just a very hot streak, unless Jeter completely bottoms out over the rest of the season, as long as he stays healthy he's pretty much locked up a more statistically productive season than I think anyone here predicted.
    Ahem...
    www.zaponline.org/forums

NYYF Legend

Jete currently stands at 3,134 hits..19th all time. Marching up the hit ladder he will soon pass in order Gwynn (3141), Yount (3142), Waner (3152) and Brett (3154). Ripken is 30 beyond that at 3184, then Nap Lajoie at 3242, Eddie Murray at 3255, and Mays at 3283. Those are the guys he will most likely pass this season to finish 11th on the list. If he stays incredibly hot the rest of the season, he can surpass Collins at 3315 and Molitor at 3319 to finish in 9th place. With 48 hits already this year he's projected to have 278..a figure he won't come close to..but if he has 212, like he did in 2009 he will wind up with 3298. The most hits he's ever had in a season was 219 (in 1999), so to reach Collins and Molitor he would have to break his own season hits record by 11 and 16 respectively. Not impossible, but not likely. Number 8 on the list is Yaz at 3419 so that will wait for 2013. If he finishes with 3300 this season, he would need only 136 hits to pass Cap Anson into 6th place next season. Beyond Cap is Tris Speaker at 3514 and Musial at 3630. Musial is a long shot for Jete, and beyond Stan the Man, sits Aaron (3771), Cobb (4189) and Rose (4256)..all beyond reach IMO.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Jete currently stands at 3,134 hits..19th all time. Marching up the hit ladder he will soon pass in order Gwynn (3141), Yount (3142), Waner (3152) and Brett (3154). Ripken is 30 beyond that at 3184, then Nap Lajoie at 3242, Eddie Murray at 3255, and Mays at 3283. Those are the guys he will most likely pass this season to finish 11th on the list. If he stays incredibly hot the rest of the season, he can surpass Collins at 3315 and Molitor at 3319 to finish in 9th place. With 48 hits already this year he's projected to have 278..a figure he won't come close to..but if he has 212, like he did in 2009 he will wind up with 3298. The most hits he's ever had in a season was 219 (in 1999), so to reach Collins and Molitor he would have to break his own season hits record by 11 and 16 respectively. Not impossible, but not likely. Number 8 on the list is Yaz at 3419 so that will wait for 2013. If he finishes with 3300 this season, he would need only 136 hits to pass Cap Anson into 6th place next season. Beyond Cap is Tris Speaker at 3514 and Musial at 3630. Musial is a long shot for Jete, and beyond Stan the Man, sits Aaron (3771), Cobb (4189) and Rose (4256)..all beyond reach IMO.
    It's a long shot now, but if he gets to 3,300 this year, and next year gets to 3,500, he's not gonna stop. Even if he has a terrible year next year, he's gonna exercise his player option for 2014. He's not gonna give up those millions. At this point, IMO, I believe only Cobb and Rose are long shots.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post

Yeah, as another Yankee great once said, "it gets late early."

He's pretty much locked in a pretty good year, regardless of what happens. Baseball is funny as it's "early" until suddenly it's not.

I'm a huge Jeter fan, but I'm the first to admit I had no idea that this was possible. A year ago, I thought for sure we were seeing some form of the end, if not a total dropoff.

As he's relatively close to age to me, I have to say, his performance is meaningful to me...I thought at one time in my life that Mattingly would be the 'last Yankee' to me, but no longer. I hope he keeps holding off time for as long as possible...

NYYF Legend

If Jeter can clear 200 hits this year he's going to do some serious climbing up the all time leaders list. He would even have a legitimate shot at 3,500 hits after all is said and done

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    If Jeter can clear 200 hits this year he's going to do some serious climbing up the all time leaders list. He would even have a legitimate shot at 3,500 hits after all is said and done
    I think 3,500 was more than "a shot", since he will play next year and probably the year after with his player option. With 215 hits or so this year, he'd be at 3,300. I'd put 3,500 as an 80% chance at this point.

I think he has a shot at 3,700-3,800. Anything more is a tall order, however.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I think 3,500 was more than "a shot", since he will play next year and probably the year after with his player option. With 215 hits or so this year, he'd be at 3,300. I'd put 3,500 as an 80% chance at this point.

I think he has a shot at 3,700-3,800. Anything more is a tall order, however.
    well 80% is a random number as any. His final total will all depend on how long he can keep up the production. It's all fine and well to project 215 hits this year, which he has a very good shot at getting, but to predict he'll to it again the next 2-3 season is far from certain

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    well 80% is a random number as any. His final total will all depend on how long he can keep up the production. It's all fine and well to project 215 hits this year, which he has a very good shot at getting, but to predict he'll to it again the next 2-3 season is far from certain
    I agree, him averaging 200 hits over a 4 season span (beginning with this one) is virtually impossible. That would be 800 hits. But him getting 400 hits this year and next is possible. 220 this year would mean he needs just 180 next. That's roughly 3,500 by next year's end.
    www.zaponline.org/forums

My fellow Yankees fans, as of right now where would you rank Derek Jeter on the list of the greatest baseball players of all time?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    My fellow Yankees fans, as of right now where would you rank Derek Jeter on the list of the greatest baseball players of all time?
    Including pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    That's way too hard for me to answer. Even ranking him for just the Yankee players is hard, and we've had that discussion here a few times over the years. I'm sure that somebody somewhere has a statistical ranking of value of players alltime with some assumed inputs....I'd be curious about those.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information