+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Re: 2012 NFL General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    So Peyton is out for the year...I imagine he doesn't get paid right? Otherwise it's not much of a penalty.
    I thought you meant Peyton Manning, not Payton the coach. I thought - what did he get hurt at the press conference?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Soriambi basically got it all covered. 500k, 2 second rounders and Payton suspension is a joke for the franchise (anyone really think teh GM will be out of the loop?)

Basically they hung the coaches out to dry as examples without beating up the franchise. As it stands, they won't even skip a beat for the next two years.
    Whether he's out of the loop or not, he's not getting paid.

They definitely put this more on the coaches than the franchise, which is where the blame went with New England. Maybe part of that is because Williams isn't there anymore, and they saw him as the biggest offender? It would be interesting to hear the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Soriambi basically got it all covered. 500k, 2 second rounders and Payton suspension is a joke for the franchise (anyone really think teh GM will be out of the loop?)

Basically they hung the coaches out to dry as examples without beating up the franchise. As it stands, they won't even skip a beat for the next two years.
    It's been reported that they lied to their owner when he told them to comply with the rules which is why the coaches and GM took the brunt of the punishment and not the franchise. Furthermore, the punishments for the players involved in the bounty program hasn't been handed out yet which will hurt the team even moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It's been reported that they lied to their owner when he told them to comply with the rules which is why the coaches and GM took the brunt of the punishment and not the franchise. Furthermore, the punishments for the players involved in the bounty program hasn't been handed out yet which will hurt the team even moreso.
    Oh, I didn't realize that the potential player suspensions weren't part of this.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize that the potential player suspensions weren't part of this.
    I just heard that the commissioner is negotiating with the players union as to how long the suspensions and/or fines will be. I'm presuming that since the coaches don't have a union (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), that they didn't need any negotiations to get suspended.

Wow, 8 games for the head coach. That and their contracts specifically state that they should be fully aware of what is going on with their team, meaning that he's fully responsible no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I thought you meant Peyton Manning, not Payton the coach. I thought - what did he get hurt at the press conference?
    Yessssssss, Billie Jeanne. He got beyotch-slapped while holding the mic.

NYYF Legend

The bounties violated the league's $120.3 million salary cap as extra off-the-books compensation, number one, and also this specific portion of the league's constitution: "No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on-field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to, or injuries inflicted on, opposing players).''
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ppb9YQHL

Putting players' health and safety aside, the Saints still cheated AND they ignored the warning from the league and lied to the league for two years.

At least the Pats knew that they had to stop once they had been caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    I just heard that the commissioner is negotiating with the players union as to how long the suspensions and/or fines will be. I'm presuming that since the coaches don't have a union (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), that they didn't need any negotiations to get suspended.

Wow, 8 games for the head coach. That and their contracts specifically state that they should be fully aware of what is going on with their team, meaning that he's fully responsible no matter what.
    Actually, the HC got suspended for the entire season.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    That's what's happening. The league can do whatever they want to the coaches but the players have the union protection.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ppb9YQHL

Putting players' health and safety aside, the Saints still cheated AND they ignored the warning from the league and lied to the league for two years.

At least the Pats knew that they had to stop once they had been caught.
    The Patriots were warned and they kept doing it. They finally got caught red-handed because Mangini was with the team and knew their secrets

That's what's happening. The league can do whatever they want to the coaches but the players have the union protection.
    I think the coaches are part of a union, though. I seem to remember several years back when coaches started showing up in Madden that they had come to a deal with their union, and that a handful (like Bill Parcells) weren't included because they had chosen not to be a part of the union.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Well, there's a limit. The league is actually a 32 team co-op with an elected president. If Goodell were to do something crazy & excessive to a coach, he wouldn't be commissioner for very long. He's going to assess the maximum possible penalty that can be justified to his shareholders because owners don't need to be worrying about if their staff can be picked off at will

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think the coaches are part of a union, though. I seem to remember several years back when coaches started showing up in Madden that they had come to a deal with their union, and that a handful (like Bill Parcells) weren't included because they had chosen not to be a part of the union.
    No, the coaches don't have a union.

No, the coaches don't have a union.
    Maybe it was like a union-type thing just to control their merchandising rights, then. That actually sounds more like what I remember.

Ronde Barber to NE.

Actually, the HC got suspended for the entire season.
    Yeah, you're right. It was someone else (the GM, I think) who got the 8-game suspension. The defensive coach got suspended indefinitely.

Now Warren Sapp may be in trouble for naming Jeremy Shockey as the snitch. Since he's some analyst or commentator on the NFL network, the whistleblower laws would put Shockey (if he really is the whistleblower) in a position of having been retaliated against by the NFL (Sapp's comments) after having blown the whistle. Since he's a free agent, he may not land on another team anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Ronde Barber to NE.
    Ronde can't be a spring chicken anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Well, there's a limit. The league is actually a 32 team co-op with an elected president. If Goodell were to do something crazy & excessive to a coach, he wouldn't be commissioner for very long. He's going to assess the maximum possible penalty that can be justified to his shareholders because owners don't need to be worrying about if their staff can be picked off at will
    So a situation like this where a team allegedly pays their players to take opposing players out of games, seems like an "at will" situation to you?

Free-agent center Jeff Saturday agreed to a contract with the Green Bay Packers on Friday
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...al-sources-say

I was hoping the Giants would go after him and move Baas to LG.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...al-sources-say

I was hoping the Giants would go after him and move Baas to LG.
    I figured he was going to end up in Denver

Ronde Barber to NE.
    I thought Ronde Barber is staying with the Bucs for his 16th season with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    I thought Ronde Barber is staying with the Bucs for his 16th season with the team.
    The ESPN FA tracker shows him to NE.....I haven't seen any supporting article though.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&a...com%2fnfl%2ffa

Edit: This doesn't show it, so maybe the FA tracker is a mistake:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transact...gland-patriots

The ESPN FA tracker shows him to NE.....I haven't seen any supporting article though.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&a...com%2fnfl%2ffa

Edit: This doesn't show it, so maybe the FA tracker is a mistake:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transact...gland-patriots
    The tracker has been changed to show Ronde with TB.

Gregg Williams audio. Some people on twitter are saying he's an evil lunatic but I don't think it's THAT bad...if anything, seems kind of appropriate (says the fan in me who screams "break his f*ckin leg!" at the TV). The pay-for-injury system I have a problem with, but if he were just using over-the-top language to encourage physical football...well, it's football.

(strong language)

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Gregg Williams audio. Some people on twitter are saying he's an evil lunatic but I don't think it's THAT bad...if anything, seems kind of appropriate (says the fan in me who screams "break his f*ckin leg!" at the TV). The pay-for-injury system I have a problem with, but if he were just using over-the-top language to encourage physical football...well, it's football.

(strong language)

I've seen some players like Ricky Williams saying 'Hit (Patriots) in the mouth.'
    http://wap.nfl.com/news/09000d5d8262...-in-the-mouth/

Even Eugene Robinson in his day says to his players 'Bust'em in the mouth.'

Thread Information