+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 NFL General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The Dolphins are a mess with a bad GM and a rich owner blind to that fact.
    I would be funny if the Dolphins overpay Smith and Manning pick the Titans. Suddenly the 49ers are in big trouble and likely waste their WS contending roster.

Manning to Denver
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Manning to Denver
    Good. I will like them much more now if they trade Tebow. And I wouldn't mind if they chase Wallace and give their #25 pick to the Steelers.

Glad that he didnt choose SF. Arizona and SF made more sense as destinations for Peyton...but I really think he didnt wanna be in the same conference as Eli.

Where do the 49ers turn if the Dolphins now snag Alex Smith?

Perfect out for the Broncos; probably the only way they could get rid of Tebow without their fans blinking.

NYYF Triple Crown

Multiple sources now confirming Manning to Denver,
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...os-sources-say

the Tebow sweepstakes will soon be in full effect.

ESPN must be giddy with delight.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Multiple sources now confirming Manning to Denver,
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...os-sources-say

the Tebow sweepstakes will soon be in full effect.

ESPN must be giddy with delight.
    What would a Tebow sweepstakes look like? I'm curious what exactly they could get for him

His actual talent shouldn't cost too much, his ESPN hype though? It should cost a team's 1st & 2nd round picks for the next 5 years.

Jacksonville should go after him.

not because he's any good or because he'll help them win (he's not and they're not going to win anyway, with the QB they have), but because his obsessive fanbase would help them sell tickets they desperately need to sell right now. it would be a good business-side move for them.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post

not because he's any good or because he'll help them win (he's not and they're not going to win anyway, with the QB they have), but because his obsessive fanbase would help them sell tickets they desperately need to sell right now. it would be a good business-side move for them.
    You're right, that would probably be a good market for him. It's also the reason why I am curious what happens to him, though, because if I was a coach I probably wouldn't want him -- his reputation and popularity exceed his talent, and he has the potential to be a huge distraction (Though to his credit, not necessarily of his own making).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I would be funny if the Dolphins overpay Smith and Manning pick the Titans. Suddenly the 49ers are in big trouble and likely waste their WS contending roster.
    why? Smith isn't very good despite the 13-3 record.

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post

Gabbert needs to be given time to develop. He was thrust into the starting role last year because Garrard got injured + cut despite the fact that Gabbert was drafted as a very raw player. He was the youngest QB in the league last year, coming from a spread offense in college, given no training camp to learn the pro offense thanks to the lockout, and had exactly 0 reliable receivers. His poor season shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Getting Tebow and giving up on Gabbert so soon would be absolutely foolish. They also haven't been blacked out at all the last couple seasons, so they're doing a better job selling tickets as it is. All the move would do would be to ensure that they don't develop as a football team for the forseeable future.

it's been said that they had to "paper" several games last season to prevent the threat of blackouts. Tebow would make sure they wouldn't have to do that again and would likely significantly increase local ratings all by himself, as that area blindly bleeds for him.

Gabbert may get it together elsewhere, but I just don't see him making it happen there, at least enough so to outweigh the business end of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    why? Smith isn't very good despite the 13-3 record.
    Smith was quite good last year. He fits that system well. I mean if he leaves, there really isnt anyone else out there available. Unless they want Tebow!

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Manning to Denver
    It's gonna get interesting out here in Colorado. The Broncos have a rabid fan base, but remarkably unknowledgeable. Everyone out here has Bronco bumper stickers and a jersey or two (Elway and Tebow). Yet, the average Bronco fan can't name much more than five players on the team. I'm sure sales for Bronco #18 jerseys are gonna go through the roof, and I'm wondering what everybody's gonna do with those Tebow jerseys. Pretty expensive to buy for just half a season.

Incidentally, the Broncos had retired #18, so they're gonna need to take it down off their ring of honor to give to Peyton.

As others have stated, Tebow to Jacksonville seems like a good fit, perhaps more from a ticket sales viewpoint than a football viewpoint. The Broncos will want the moon for him, as a first round pick and a playoff winner. They're going to need to settle for much less, as Tebow should never have gone in the first round, and he's not a particularly good NFL-style QB, despite the wins he logged last year.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Where do the 49ers turn if the Dolphins now snag Alex Smith?

Perfect out for the Broncos; probably the only way they could get rid of Tebow without their fans blinking.
    I'll be stunned if the 49ers put all their eggs on Colin Kaepernick if Alex Smith does sign with the Miami Dolphins.

Matt Flynn is a Seattle Seahawk. Kevin Kolb is coming back from injury for the Arizona Cardinals. And the Rams, if they can get some weapons for Sam Bradford.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    I'll be stunned if the 49ers put all their eggs on Colin Kaepernick if Alex Smith does sign with the Miami Dolphins.

Matt Flynn is a Seattle Seahawk. Kevin Kolb is coming back from injury for the Arizona Cardinals. And the Rams, if they can get some weapons for Sam Bradford.
    Yet somehow the 49ers still currently have the 4th best odds to win the Super Bowl in Vegas.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Smith was quite good last year. He fits that system well. I mean if he leaves, there really isnt anyone else out there available. Unless they want Tebow!
    No Smith wasn't particularly good. He had a career year mostly by throwing just 5 interceptions. I doubt he comes close to repeating that next year. Otherwise he was very pedestridan. Other than his great final 3.5 minutes against the Saints, he never looked particulalry good on the season. He really did just enough not to lose games for the 49ers but he never once gave the impression that he could win a game if he had to, Saints game expected.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No Smith wasn't particularly good. He had a career year mostly by throwing just 5 interceptions. I doubt he comes close to repeating that next year. Otherwise he was very pedestridan. Other than his great final 3.5 minutes against the Saints, he never looked particulalry good on the season. He really did just enough not to lose games for the 49ers but he never once gave the impression that he could win a game if he had to, Saints game expected.
    He is not a good QB, no question. But he is an average QB who can play in the 49ers system well. The problem of 49ers is that without Smith, they don't even have a solid QB now. They basically waste their WS contending roster if they let Smith go and can't find a replacement.

Maybe Colin Kaepernick is good enough to start, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He is not a good QB, no question. But he is an average QB who can play in the 49ers system well. The problem of 49ers is that without Smith, they don't even have a solid QB now. They basically waste their WS contending roster if they let Smith go and can't find a replacement.

Maybe Colin Kaepernick is good enough to start, which I doubt.
    SB not WS.

NYYF Cy Young

Tebow is worth no more than a second round pick at best. If they sucker someone out of an NFL talent or a first round pick, I'll laugh.

I've always at least partially rooted for the Jets, so long as it didn't have any impact on the Giants, but if they subject me to local Tebow hype, they're rocketing up the hate charts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    SB not WS.
    LOL
    Now I know how much I miss baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yet somehow the 49ers still currently have the 4th best odds to win the Super Bowl in Vegas.
    With that turd of a division, I could see them getting another first-round bye.

Thread Information