+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2012 NFL General Discussion Thread

Here's the 2012 NFL Season Thread...
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Re: 2012 NFL General Discussion Thread

Moving to a rival: Ex-Oakland Raiders CB Stanford Routt to join Kansas City Chiefs
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...as-city-chiefs

TE Jermichael Finley to stay with Green Bay Packers
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...-year-15m-deal

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...203531457.html

Saints being accused of a "bounty hunter" type of system where players get rewarded for injuring/taking opponents out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...203531457.html

Saints being accused of a "bounty hunter" type of system where players get rewarded for injuring/taking opponents out of the game.
    Probably reduced the likelihood of being the Giants' opponent in the season opener.

NYYF Legend

I don't know how prevalent the bounty system is in the league, but the only way it can be stopped is to make the punishment so severe that no team will ever think of doing it again.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    I don't know how prevalent the bounty system is in the league, but the only way it can be stopped is to make the punishment so severe that no team will ever think of doing it again.
    It's going to be very interesting to see how they punish the various actors in this -- ownership, coaches, players. I do think it is going to be severe

I dont know how you can stop it. Yeah, it doesnt look good on paper but in reality, every single player who straps it up on Sundays is looking to impart as much pain on his opponent, on every single hit.

Whether they get paid for it in situations like this or paid for it when they sign new contracts for improved play. Nothing changes.

I'm probably in the minority but I dont think that this is worse than ''Spygate''
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    I dont know how you can stop it. Yeah, it doesnt look good on paper but in reality, every single player who straps it up on Sundays is looking to impart as much pain on his opponent, on every single hit.

Whether they get paid for it in situations like this or paid for it when they sign new contracts for improved play. Nothing changes.

I'm probably in the minority but I dont think that this is worse than ''Spygate''
    The contracts that they sign don't give them financial reward for injuring others though. There's a big difference between being paid to play the game & being paid strictly for the purpose of injuring your opponent.

That is true but, again, I might be in the minority. But I think when a defensive player knocks a QB out of the game, that player gets a pat on the back from every one of his teammates and coaches.

Every single coach goes into a game with the single goal of hitting the QB. Its a sugarcoated way of saying '' hurt this guy and it will increase our chances of winning ''. I guess paying someone to do it isnt moral but the intention is always there, IMO.

That is true but, again, I might be in the minority. But I think when a defensive player knocks a QB out of the game, that player gets a pat on the back from every one of his teammates and coaches.

Every single coach goes into a game with the single goal of hitting the QB. Its a sugarcoated way of saying '' hurt this guy and it will increase our chances of winning ''. I guess paying someone to do it isnt moral but the intention is always there.
    In the context of "sh*t happens" when it comes to football & this situation would give their team a better chance to win, it's definitely possible. When you put money on the line though, to me it comes off as a different agenda as opposed to winning & that is to collect a financial reward.

Let's say a team is down big & someone puts a blatantly dangerous hit on a QB & hurts him bad, that would reek of foul play. I dunno if there were stipulations to collect this money (i.e., only hurt someone if the game is in reach). To me, this whole bounty hunter program is awful.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    In the context of "sh*t happens" when it comes to football & this situation would give their team a better chance to win, it's definitely possible. When you put money on the line though, to me it comes off as a different agenda as opposed to winning & that is to collect a financial reward.

Let's say a team is down big & someone puts a blatantly dangerous hit on a QB & hurts him bad, that would reek of foul play. I dunno if there were stipulations to collect this money (i.e., only hurt someone if the game is in reach). To me, this whole bounty hunter program is awful.
    I think it's one thing to pat a guy on the back for a big-time hit that knocks someone out of the game, and another to incentivize someone to cause an injury. If you make the injury the goal (which the bounty does), you're telling people to hurt someone, not just to deliver a hard hit. And while I don't doubt that some players are out to injure others, it's a whole different story when a team has a system in place to reward it.

NYYF HOF

Not so surprising now when you look at how god awful the Saints were at tackling. They were all trying to lay guys out and instead of wrapping them up.

And, maybe I'm biased, but I think this is much worse then Spygate and the Saints will be penalized much worse as well. With the Commish's focus on player safety, and reportedly the Saints had already been warned about this, I think they'll get it pretty harsh.

I think this is "much ado about nothing".

If it's no big deal, then teams should be able to put incentives in players' contracts to award them bonuses for injuring opposing players, so it's not a cap violation or a tax reporting issue.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    If it's no big deal, then teams should be able to put incentives in players' contracts to award them bonuses for injuring opposing players, so it's not a cap violation or a tax reporting issue.
    I think the bigger deal is that the NFL warned them about it and they decided to lie to them and their owner that it stopped. That's going to cost the GM, Head Coach and Williams a lot more than the actual bounty system.

The sharks are in the water and they smell blood. We're talking lawsuits and potential firings from the GM down as the media circus won't let this issue die until the punishments are handed out. Right now, they're going to do whatever to protect the NFL.

Jax - I guess it depends on what their ( Saints when they answer questions about it ) stance is. Deliberately going at the knees or to the head, irrespective of financial gain, is wrong....I hate those hits even when guys on my team get away with them.

Are there any stats on how many personal fouls tey took that season and how it compares to league average? Everyone knew they were relentless but if they were playing dirty, then it should show up...or at least I think it would.

NYYF HOF

Listening to Mike & Mike they made it sound like if a penalty was called the bounty would not be paid. That may just be sunshine up the kazoo; but if true that makes it a completely different discussion for me. Now you're talking about rewarding a hard hit and playing hard and getting a bonus if that play so happens to give your team a better chance to win by knocking out an opposing player.

I've never played football beyond flag football, so the mentality of these players is far beyond what I have ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by AMYanks View Post
    Feels weird saying this considering the HUGE price the Skins paid, but good deal for both teams. It's something Washington had to do.

Having lived in that area for 4 years and being exposed to the fanbase, all I'll say is uhh...no pressure, RGIII, none at all.

I like the deal for the Rams.

What was Redskins GM Bruce Allen doing? What was Daniel Snyder thinking?

This is like the Saints trading their entire draft class for one player or even the Vikings trading draft picks for Herschel Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    I like the deal for the Rams.

What was Redskins GM Bruce Allen doing? What was Daniel Snyder thinking?

This is like the Saints trading their entire draft class for one player or even the Vikings trading draft picks for Herschel Walker.
    I love the move for both the Rams and the 'Skins.

Sure, it puts an awful lot of pressure on Griffin, but this is a deal they had to make imo. Peyton probably wasn't going to join them so they had to make a move for another QB. Reading through all the reports on Griffin, it seems like he's the real deal.

And giving up a lot of picks is worth it if it's for a (potential) franchise quarterback. It could (finally) make the Redskins contenders again. Of course it could also backfire..

EDIT:
    I have no idea why the Browns didn't want to include this year's 22nd pick along with the 4th. This is exactly why they never make the playoffs. In the NFL you need a franchise quarterback to compete on a yearly basis.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by corsari42 View Post
    EDIT:
    I have no idea why the Browns didn't want to include this year's 22nd pick along with the 4th. This is exactly why they never make the playoffs. In the NFL you need a franchise quarterback to compete on a yearly basis.
    Report is that they have matched the Redskins' offer but it's too late. Still, not doing that trade is not the end of their world. 3 first round picks and a second round pick can make them a lot better if they pick them rightly. And being in the AFC North without a franchise QB will set them into another nice position of getting a good QB in the future anyway.

NYYF Triple Crown

NFL sets 2012 salary cap at $120.6 million

NEW YORK (AP) — The NFL salary cap for 2012 is $120.6 million, barely above last year's figure.
    The league informed the 32 teams Sunday that the cap has gone up by $225,000. All teams must be under the cap by Tuesday, when free agency begins.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...afc0d20fd26a2e

Thread Information