+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Raul Ibanez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Spring training! He might be done...but lets see what happens in games that actually matter before making that judgment
    I don't care that he is a left handed DH. We have tons of LH hitters. If they keep that old fart and put Justin Maxwell on waivers, they are just plain dumb. If he doesn't win the bench job in ST, it should be sayonara.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I've always said that ST doesn't mean anything...but jeez Louise I don't think the guy has hit a single line drive yet...disturbing to say the least.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I've always said that ST doesn't mean anything...but jeez Louise I don't think the guy has hit a single line drive yet...disturbing to say the least.
    ...and no sooner than I post does he hit a 2-run HR....
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Addicted Member

clearly he was checking the boards on his iphone...hey he brought his average up to .053
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    clearly he was checking the boards on his iphone...hey he brought his average up to .053
    Good bye Raul. You gone (or DL'ed) in 2 weeks.

NYYF Legend

Anyone expecting Ibanez to be released in spring training is going to be sorely disappointed.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

performance in the thread title is painfully mocking now
    always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Anyone expecting Ibanez to be released in spring training is going to be sorely disappointed.
    I know that it's tough to place a lot of value on 50 spring training ABs, but Ibanez has done absolutely nothing to give Girardi hope of having any type of production coming out of the DH spot, and the club hasn't shown any willingness to put him out on the field.

I'll root for the guy because he's a Yankee, but I think he needs to be batting 8th against righties and sitting on the bench against lefties, until he shows that he still has some pop in his bat.

I also wouldn't bat an eye if the Yanks release him, and I'm now starting to wonder if Damon is a better fit.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'll root for the guy because he's a Yankee, but I think he needs to be batting 8th and sitting against lefties, until he shows that he still has some pop in his bat.
    If he' on the team I'll root for him too.
    But small point, he should be on the bench against lefties. He was brought in to platoon with our designated lefty masher Andruw Jones
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I know that it's tough to place a lot of value on 50 spring training ABs, but Ibanez has done absolutely nothing to give Girardi hope of having any type of production coming out of the DH spot, and the club hasn't shown any willingness to put him out on the field.

I'll root for the guy because he's a Yankee, but I think he needs to be batting 8th against righties and sitting on the bench against lefties, until he shows that he still has some pop in his bat.

I also wouldn't bat an eye if the Yanks release him, and I'm now starting to wonder if Damon is a better fit.
    The reason I didn't think it was likely that the Yankees would release him in ST was because I thought they were paying him $4 million but I just realized only $1.1 million is guaranteed. So I suppose it is possible that they would release him, but I still don't think it is very likely. My assumption is that they will give him a couple of months to turn it around (a la Randy Winn a few years ago) and if he still looks cooked at that point, they'll explore the trade market.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I'm fairly certain Raul will be chasing after Bonds' 73 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    i'm fairly certain raul will be chasing after bonds' 73 El Camino with a squeegee this year.
    ftfy.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Haven't seem much of Ibanez this spring, but his swings out there looked decent.
    "If you're a Yankee fan, or if you're not a Yankee fan - you have to admit, we're [B]winners[/B]."

Paul O'Neill

Quote Originally Posted by mal1219 View Post
    Haven't seem much of Ibanez this spring, but his swings out there looked decent.
    Nice try, Raul.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Nice try, Raul.
    LOL - yeah, I didn't see today's game but unless it was a remarkable turnaround from his other games this spring his swing has NOT looked good. It has been worse than imaginable. Getting blown away by straight upper 80 / low 90 mph fastballs from guys who won't even make rosters this season. Swinging at junk outside the zone. I understand he hit a HR I didn't see, but I've probably watched about a third of his AB's this spring and haven't seen him square up on a single pitch.

I was ok with the experiment and understood it, I anticipated he would probably struggle and be released (I would have put the over/under at late May), but never imagined he was this far gone. I hope Cash cuts bait now.

Serves the Yankees right. I never understood their hard on for Ibanez. Hope they learn their lesson.

Im sorry Vlad, you should have been given a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    i'm fairly certain raul will be chasing after bonds' 73 El Camino with a squeegee this year.

some of your best work
    like delv, but better

Perhaps Ibanez is not done after-all.

He's heating up as ST comes to a close and would have 3 HR's in his last few games if Heyward had not reached over the wall and taken one back.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Perhaps Ibanez is not done after-all.

He's heating up as ST comes to a close and would have 3 HR's in his last few games if Heyward had not reached over the wall and taken one back.
    I hope so, it's encouraging to see him turn on a 94MPH fastball and also hit a leftie. As much as we preferred someone else, I think this is the guy we're "stuck" with for now, so he has my support.
    "If you're a Yankee fan, or if you're not a Yankee fan - you have to admit, we're [B]winners[/B]."

Paul O'Neill

He's actually been hitting the ball hard the last couple of days. Says he and K Long have figured out his timing. Hope it's true. Will be just in time for the regular season.

NYYF Legend

another HR today
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Slocum View Post
    I don't care that he is a left handed DH. We have tons of LH hitters. If they keep that old fart and put Justin Maxwell on waivers, they are just plain dumb. If he doesn't win the bench job in ST, it should be sayonara.
    I realize that Justin Maxwell has had a great spring and Raul Ibanez has not, but Maxwell has really never done anything either in the majors or minors to make you think that he is the next great thing.

The Yankees made a minor league trade for Maxwell and while he produced at SWB last season, he only played 48 games before a torn labrum cut his season short.

My guess is that he is designated for assignment and traded to a lower tier team that will take a shot at him at the ML level - he really has no place on the Yankees roster, frankly.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

People seem to forget Maxwell struck out in about a third of his plate appearances last year
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

everybodies whipping dog with the first bomb
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

See ya!!!

Great start to the season after a miserable spring.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information