+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

2012 Raul Ibanez Performance Thread

Our newest DH.
    Life is good!

Re: 2012 Raul Ibanez Performance Thread

Please hit vs RHP this year like you did in 2010 (.366 OBP, .821 OPS). K thnx.

am i the only person who thinks he looks like an older version of The Situation?

NYYF Legend

He, Damon and Vlad are more or less the same against RHP so I won't complain about this move, especially given the price. Hopefully he turns out to be solid.

NYYF Legend

Short porch, meet Raul.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

Not exactly jumping for joy

As ESPN pointed out, Ibanez's numbers last year were about as bad as Posada's. So why again are we signing him?

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    As ESPN pointed out, Ibanez's numbers last year were about as bad as Posada's. So why again are we signing him?
    Against RHP Jorge was just fine last year. If Ibanez replicates Jorge's .269 / .348 / .466 line for $1.1MM guaranteed I think the Yankees would be just fine with that. Jorge's $13MM coming off the books being replaced by a $1.1MM guaranteed (and max ~$4MM with incentives) Ibanez allowed the team to sign Kuroda this year.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Against RHP Jorge was just fine last year. If Ibanez replicates Jorge's .269 / .348 / .466 line for $1.1MM guaranteed I think the Yankees would be just fine with that. Jorge's $13MM coming off the books being replaced by a $1.1MM guaranteed (and max ~$4MM with incentives) Ibanez allowed the team to sign Kuroda this year.
    You don't think we would have been able to get Jorge on a $1.1mil deal?

Kind of ironic....Jorge would have been the perfect fit this year in that DH role vs RHP. I wonder if the Yanks made the Pineda trade a few weeks or a month earlier then they did (thus still during a time when Posada was deciding on retiring or not), if we could have gotten him to come back for another year.

NYYF Legend

Yes I don't think so.

I'd have been great with Jorge for $1.1MM. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a very brief discussion after the Pineda deal. But for pride alone I doubt Jorge would have come back for $1.1MM for a platoon DH even if there was interest expressed.

streaky as hell. this ought to be fun
    like delv, but better

Last year Ibanez had a huge drop in his walkrate (10.7 to 5.7). He'd been consistently in the 9-10% range for years. His K rate was the 2nd highest of his career. He also saw a career low .268 BABIP. He saw an increase in ground balls and infield popups and decrease in fly balls, but had the 3rd best HR/FB% of his career. Oh, and his fielding metric fell off a cliff last year.

I'm not liking the picture these #'s paint, and how much normalization can you expect with a soon to be 40 yr old? At least he'll be sitting against lefties and won't be in the field too much (hopefully).

Meh. If he's terrible, he gets replaced mid-season. At his price, he's a lot easier to replace than the other options, which were also pretty likely to be terrible.

I expect him to be a Yankee for half a season or so. That said, I think it's the right choice of the available options.

Yeah, but is he fat?

Because I hear that is the best indicator of how well he'll play.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I'd have been great with Jorge for $1.1MM. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a very brief discussion after the Pineda deal. But for pride alone I doubt Jorge would have come back for $1.1MM for a platoon DH even if there was interest expressed.
    The problem with bringing Jorge back is that if he falls on his face the Yankees aren't going to cut him. They had to let him retire. The backlash if they cut a guy like Posada would be too great.

Raul is going to be good for a handful of meaningful homeruns - which could go a long way in the AL East & post-season.

all. those. outs.
    always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

Apparently he hung out with Rudy Jaramillo this offseason to adjust his swing, so let's see where that gets him.

I usually trust Kevin Long, I think he can fix some problems that Ibanez had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    The problem with bringing Jorge back is that if he falls on his face the Yankees aren't going to cut him. They had to let him retire. The backlash if they cut a guy like Posada would be too great.
    Agree completely. I posted in one of the other dozen DH threads that a key deciding factor was likely to be "cut-ability" if the chosen DH washes out. I don't think they'd cut Damon either if he was making a few million guaranteed. Posada is a whole different ball of wax given his legacy here. They'd have to hope he took the dignified route and retired.

Which all leads to why I'm not thrilled with the Ibanez signing, but understand and support it - as long as they move quickly to replace him if it becomes evident he is truly toast.

I wanted Damon initially...but oh well.

Hopefully Ibanez (Banny?) will use the short porch and hit 20 homers. Maybe even get his OBP over .300 again. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    I wanted Damon initially...but oh well.

Hopefully Ibanez (Banny?) will use the short porch and hit 20 homers. Maybe even get his OBP over .300 again. LOL
    It was .307 against RHP last year (.366 the prior year). Don't get me wrong, I'm an OBP whore... .307 sucks and should result in a DFA, but IMHO even a non-trivial fall off in OBP against RHP from DH is worth it if it helped us afford Kuroda this year and, combined with AJ's $8MM save in '13, helps us compete for FA in next offseason.

The key will be how the Yankees respond if he can't get that OBP up closer to his pre-'11 norms.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    am i the only person who thinks he looks like an older version of The Situation?
    Lord Voldemort.

Raul Ibanez >>>>>> Raul Mondesi
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Thread Information