+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Injury Update Thread 2012

"He was playing on one ankle tonight. Maybe one and a quarter"—Girardi on Jeter, in the YES postgame show.

And he got the only hit with a runner in scoring position ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    He says so much and so little at the same time....he'd make a great politician.
    ... or lady's man.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Anyone remember Brett Gardner?

• The big news to come out of Girardi’s pregame press conference was that it sounds like Brett Gardner could be activated very soon. I tweeted when I first got to the Stadium this afternoon that Gardner was stretching and running. The elbow injury obviously has no affect on his legs, and Gardner could be a major weapon off of the bench as a pinch-runner for guys like Raul Ibanez, Eric Chavez and Andruw Jones. “It’s possible, yeah,” Girardi said when asked if he could be activated soon. “We need to get him on the field in some spikes in some situations that he might be put in before we can decide if he’s ready to go.”

• Gardner ran the bases today, and Girardi said he will do so again tomorrow before any decision is made. It sounds to me like it’s a definite possibility to see him in uniform on Tuesday. Girardi was clear that Gardner won’t hit again this season — that’s what kept reaggravating the injury in the first place — but that it is possible to see him play in the field aside from just pinch-running. The concern is if he rolled over on the elbow again while trying to make a play, but he is probably the Yankees’ best defensive outfielder. Even if he does play in the field, it wouldn’t be for more than an inning or two because he would have to be taken out when his turn to bat came up. “We’d have to think about, do we think it’s safe for him to play defense?” Girardi said. “Pinch-running might be the first step. He’s taken some fly balls out there for us. As long as he’s able to run, our concern is if he was to dive and tuck under again.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/1...t-the-one-day/

NYYF Legend

More on Gardner, from Yankees.com:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

The 29-year-old Gardner said he felt 100 percent healthy about two weeks ago, when he began shagging fly balls during batting practice. He practiced bunting and ran the bases on Saturday and will continue to do so in the coming days.

Gardner said he will begin sliding into bases headfirst on Sunday, and Girardi said there is no fear that Gardner will reinjure his elbow doing so because his arm will be extended, not tucked under his body, as it was when he got injured. Girardi was more concerned about the potential for another injury if Gardner plays defense, but he said the Yankees will consider that possibility.

Gardner said he would not hesitate to dive if playing the field, and he might start swinging a bat next week, although the Yankees are not counting on using him as a hitter for the rest of this season.

"Obviously, I won't know how I feel until I start swinging a bat and taking BP on the field," Gardner said, "but as far as pinch-running, playing defense, playing catch, ground balls, line drives, fly balls, diving for a ball -- I don't have any reservations about any of that."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'd have gone with this pic:

Nah. The hot chikie from the original Planet of the Apes would have been best.

NYYF Legend

Lol...

Pedro Feliciano sprained his ankle recently and is no longer expected to join the Yankees this season.

Feliciano had been pitching in rehab games with Low-A Staten Island, but he's now merely idle. The veteran left-hander signed a two-year, $8 million free agent contract with New York before the 2011 season but has yet to make an appearance in pinstripes. He has a $4.5 million club option for 2013 that is sure to be declined.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/mlb/baseball

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm actually pretty disappointed about this.

NYYF Legend

I posted this in the Teixeira thread but I'll update here also:
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/2...ixeira-update/
    Mark Teixeira is going to Tampa on Monday and plans to play in some instructional games with minor leaguers to begin testing his calf. He will start taking some swings in the cage today at Yankee Stadium.

NYYF Legend

More on Teixeira here:

Mark Teixeira took swings in the indoor batting cage at Yankee Stadium before Thursday's series finale against the Blue Jays and plans to travel to Tampa, Fla., on Monday to increase his workload with baseball activities in instructional league games.

General manager Brian Cashman previously mentioned Sept. 27 in Toronto as a potential return date for Teixeira from his Grade 1 left calf strain, but Teixeira said there is no specific timetable after an earlier attempt to rush back caused him to miss the past 10 games, including Thursday's.

"I don't want to put any timetable on it, because we tried to do that last time and it put unwanted pressure on everybody," Teixeira said. "We all wanted me to be back as soon as possible and I wasn't, I wasn't ready. I'm going to take it day by day, and when the doctors tell me I'm clear, when the trainers tell me I'm clear, when the strength coach and baseball people all tell me that I'm normal and running fine, then I'll be out there playing."

Teixeira is mostly just receiving treatment at this point, with some workouts in a pool, he said.

The Yankees are not being overly careful with their first baseman, according to manager Joe Girardi, simply attempting to ensure he does not suffer another setback that might keep him out of potential playoff action.

"It's something we have to heal. I don't think it's a matter of taking our time," Girardi said. "It's something that we have to make sure is healed, because we don't want it to happen again."

Swelling, tightness and soreness are immediately evident just touching his left calf, Teixeira said, although he has not suffered any setbacks since he last appeared Sept. 8 against the Orioles. That was his only game back after he missed 10 games upon suffering the injury running the bases Aug. 27 against Toronto.

He is traveling to the Yankees' facility in Tampa to simulate game action, although he would like to appear in a few games in New York before the playoffs begin, assuming the Yankees qualify.

"Just being in game situations where I leg out a double, I dive in the hole on a ground ball and run to first base -- those are things I need to do in a game situation," Teixeira said. "We can't try that out in a playoff game and have me blow out right away. That wouldn't be good for anybody."

NYYF Legend

Another Teixeira update:

So Mark Teixeira fielded grounders, did light jogging and took outdoor batting practice for the first time since aggravating his calf strain in Baltimore.

“Everything felt fine,” Teixeira said. “I obviously wasn’t pushing it really out there. But it was a good workout.”

Tomorrow he plans to ramp up the activity a bit more and then head for Tampa in the afternoon. He still has no timetable for a return.

“I’m just going to take it day by day,” Teixeira said. “That’s the plan this time around.”

If he’s still having problems when the first game of the playoffs gets here — the Yankees’ magic number for at least drawing a wild card is down to seven — Teixeira isn’t sure if he will be in there anyway.

“I have no idea,” Teixeira said. “It’s a decision we’ll all have to make together.”

He has concerns, like having to make a quick move to dive for a ball, having to have quick acceleration out of the box and having to push it on the basepaths.

“I want to be comfortable that I can do those things and not blow out again, because then we’re right back to square one,” Teixeira said. “The first game of the playoffs, we’re down one run and I need to beat out a double or beat out an infield hit and I blow out and I’m out for the rest of the playoffs, we’ve accomplished nothing. I just need to be able to play.”

But he says he’s improving.

“Sometimes walking up or down stairs, where I’m not being careful, it still feels a little tight, a little sore,” Teixeira said. “But overall it’s getting better. It’s progressing a little bit better each day.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/2...layoff-opener/

NYYF Legend

Flymick already posted about this in the Brett Gardner thread but it belongs here too:
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...r_to_take.html
    NEW YORK — Brett Gardner will take live batting practice for the first time Monday, before the Yankees-Twins game at Target Field. He said he expects to be activated in the next day or two, even though the Yankees have been vague about the exact day.
    “I feel great,” said Gardner, who has been out nearly the entire season with strained right elbow. “I have hit in the cages this week. Soft toss. And once I hit live on the field, I think I’ll be able to show that I’m 100 percent and ready to play. My body feels like it’s March. I’m excited to get back on the field and help any way I can.”
    Gardner knows, in all likelihood, he will only be used as a pinch runner and defensive replacement, but he doesn’t want there to be any limitations, even if that’s too optimistic.
    “I think I’m ready,” Gardner said. “I’ll try to show that and let them decide.”
    Fingers crossed big time.

NYYF Legend

Good news on Gardner, but I'll believe it when he's faced live pitching in a game with no problems the next day.

Meanwhile, back on the Teixeira front ...

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira spent Monday in Tampa, Fla., increasing his baseball activity workload as he attempts to return from a Grade 1 left calf strain. ...

"He did a bunch of work in Tampa today, which is a good sign," manager Joe Girardi said. "He ran the bases -- not at full speed. He did ground balls, and his BP and came out pretty good."

General manager Brian Cashman previously set New York's game at Toronto on Thursday as a target for Teixeira's return, but Girardi stopped short of confirming that on Monday. The manager also acknowledged that the artificial surface at Rogers Centre could delay Teixeira's return.

"I don't know," Girardi said. "The concern is that you rush him and he has that one play and you know he's probably done for the season."

The same link has everyone's favorite alphabet leader, David Aardsma, "closing in on his return to Major League action." He's supposed to be activated today.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This sounds vaguely familar.....wait, don't tell me.....oh, got it - the dollar menu version of Carl Pavano.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

A-Rod was out today after fouling a ball off his foot last night:

The ball bruised the top of Rodriguez's left foot during his fourth and final at-bat in the eighth inning of Tuesday's 5-4 loss to Minnesota at Target Field. He remained in the game after the foul tip, eventually grounding out to shortstop.

"It stiffened up a little bit after the game," Rodriguez said. "It's pretty sore."

Rodriguez did not undergo X-rays, and New York manager Joe Girardi is optimistic that he won't have to miss more than one game. Even without the injury, Girardi may have kept Rodriguez out of Wednesday's lineup as a routine off-day.

"He's sore today," Girardi said before the game. "I'll have to see as we go through the day and he gets some treatment if he's available as a pinch-hitter. It's probably a good day anyway, after playing eight games in a row, a doubleheader, a 14-inning game -- he probably needs a day anyway."

Even if Rodriguez is able to play in Thursday's game in Toronto, he may be in line for a couple of days as New York's designated hitter because of the turf at Rogers Centre.

"I worry a little bit more about the turf than I do the dirt," Girardi said.

NYYF Legend

Meanwhile, back on the Teixeira front:

Mark Teixeira went through his usual drills down in Tampa today, and he could play in an intrasquad game as early as tomorrow. “He ran a little bit harder today and felt pretty good,” Girardi said.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/2...%99s-the-time/

Same story has an update on Alex:

Alex Rodriguez said he got “a lot of ice” today, and because the Yankees had the game under control, he never had to test his sore left foot to decide whether he could have pinch hit if necessary. He and Girardi remain hopeful that Rodiguez will be back in the lineup tomorrow. “Even feeling good, four days on turf is a little tough on a lot of our guys,” Rodriguez said. “That’s never something where you have a lot of fun.”

NYYF Legend

What did Teixeira himself have to say about his workout today?

NYYF Legend

Well, Alex was back in the lineup today, but as DH.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi suggested that Rodriguez could get back to playing third base as soon as Friday, though the Yankees want to be cautious about pushing the injury too much on the dome's artificial turf.

"I think he's close, but I will watch him," Girardi said. "I will watch how he's running, and if late in the game we have to pinch-run for him, we'll do it."

Rodriguez said that he wanted to test his foot before batting practice and that the swelling had gone down.

"That's what I'm able to do today, get out there," Rodriguez said. "Let's take it one day at a time."

From the same link, on Teixeira:

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira took seven at-bats in a simulated game on Thursday in Tampa, Fla., as he attempts to return from a strained left calf.

Manager Joe Girardi said that Teixeira also played an inning in the field and reported that he felt good afterward. Teixeira suffered the strain in late August and re-aggravated it on Sept. 8 in Baltimore while trying to beat out a game-ending double-play ball.

"To me, the biggest test is running the bases," Girardi said. "That's the biggest test for me, because I think he can protect it a little bit in the field if he has to. But sometimes you get into a situation like he was in Baltimore and your mind tells you, 'I've got to go.'"

Girardi said that he hopes Teixeira will be at 100 percent when he rejoins the Yankees, but it can be difficult to simulate the most demanding circumstances.

"You'd like to know that he's 100 percent when you put him back out there, but I don't really know until you can get into an intense situation," Girardi said.

NYYF Legend

Geez. This is all we need:

Cano going for X-ray on left hand

After being hit by a pitch in the sixth inning, Robinson Cano stayed in tonight’s game, but he’s now going for X-ray to make sure nothing is broken.

The only test available at Rogers Centre is something called a fluoroscope, which is basically a bad X-ray machine. Cano had a fluoroscopy that revealed no break, but the test isn’t trusted so he’s going for an X-ray to make sure. For the time being, indications are that Cano should be fine, but given what happened to Alex Rodriguez earlier this year — and given the fact Cano is starting to heat up — the Yankees won’t be completely at ease until they know for sure.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/2...-on-left-hand/

NYYF Legend

Do we want another Teixeira update? Personally, I can't get enough of 'em ...

• Mark Teixeira took six at-bats today. He also ran and fielded ground balls, and the plan is for him to play five innings of an instructional league game tomorrow. Girardi said Teixeira will likely join the Yankees sometime during those final three games at home. “He’s passed every test he was supposed to up to this point,” Girardi said. “He’s on schedule for what was scheduled, so that’s a good thing.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/2...erican-league/

NYYF Legend

I'm down with it. ^
    Next, I'm wondering if Brett the Jet will get some AB.

NYYF Legend

Bad news, we'll be seeing more of Nunez in the field ...

Yanks send Nix to New York for MRI on hip

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com
    TORONTO -- Yankees utility man Jayson Nix has been sent to New York for an MRI exam after feeling soreness in his left hip flexor.

Manager Joe Girardi said that Nix suffered the injury while fielding a ground ball on Thursday against the Blue Jays but did not mention it to the club's staff until Friday. He will rejoin the team in New York.

"For us to send him back and get an MRI, there's a concern," Girardi said.

With Nix unavailable, Eduardo Nunez started at shortstop for the Yankees on Saturday, with Derek Jeter getting a half-day as the designated hitter.

If Nix is out for an extended period, Nunez would be the Yankees' primary backup infielder. He worked out on the field early on Saturday morning with coaches Mick Kelleher and Tony Pena, taking extra ground balls.

"There's a possibility we may not have [Nix] for a while, and that's why Nuney becomes all the more important," Girardi said.
    On the other hand ... (same source):
    Cano in lineup after X-rays come back clean

TORONTO -- The Yankees were relieved to learn that X-rays on Robinson Cano's left hand were negative, and the second baseman was back in New York's starting lineup on Saturday afternoon, batting cleanup.

Cano was hit on the hand by a pitch from the Blue Jays' Brett Cecil in the sixth inning of the Yankees' 11-4 win on Friday. He remained in the game but was sent for tests at a local hospital later in the evening.

"I was worried a little bit," Cano said. "The good thing was when I was swinging in that [last] at-bat, I didn't feel anything. That was a good sign."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he expected Cano's hand to be sore, but the results of the X-rays lifted some concern that it would present a lingering issue.

"I felt pretty good about it that he was able to stay in the game, but with the hand, there's all those little bones that you worry about," Girardi said.

Cano entered play on Saturday batting .301 with 30 home runs and 83 RBIs in 156 games this year. He said that he couldn't help but think of Alex Rodriguez, who fractured his left hand in July when he was hit by a Felix Hernandez pitch.

"A little bit, yeah," Cano said. "With where I got hit, I thought it was something bad. Good thing it was nothing major."

NYYF Legend

Teixeira is expected back tomorrow:

The Yankees expect Mark Teixeira to be in the lineup and playing first base tomorrow. After playing in an instructional league game yesterday, Teixeira will go through a normal workout today and rejoin the Yankees when they get home for this final three-game series against the Red Sox.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/3...back-tomorrow/

NYYF Legend

Nix out of action for the rest of the regular season and early playoff action:

The Yankees expect to be without Jayson Nix for at least the next 10-14 days after the utility man was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left hip flexor.

On Saturday in New York, Nix underwent an MRI exam that revealed the strain, which he suffered in Thursday's 6-0 loss to the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

So our backup SS/2B for at least a round or two of the playoffs is Nunez. Oh joy.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    So our backup SS/2B for at least a round or two of the playoffs is Nunez. Oh joy.
    He's not going to play the field in ALDS or ALCS barring injury so I'm down with him over Nix at utility. Nunez can at least hit LHP even if he's lost against RHP but in the playoffs he's unlikely to ever play the field or get an AB v RHP. At lest not before the WS that is and if NYY make it that far I'll worry about it then.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information