+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Re: The Injury Update Thread 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    You have seen the NYY lineup the past few days right?
    Yeah smart guy? Who would they possibly take out of that lineup to put ARod in there?
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    No and they plan on bringing him up tomorrow even though he is may not be ready. I'm not saying he needs to stay down throughout the minor league playoffs but he should be able to get a hit or 2 off single A pitchers. Why rush him?
    Cashman has a history of panic driven moves of rushing players back from injuries. That list includes, and isn't limited to, Chien-Ming Wang, Joba, and now ARod.

Worst GM in baseball.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Cashman has a history of panic driven moves of rushing players back from injuries. That list includes, and isn't limited to, Chien-Ming Wang, Joba, and now ARod.

Worst GM in baseball.
    Where would he play in games if not with the Yankees. I'm assuming you realize that he minor league season is over for Tampa. And worst GM in baseball? Please tell me that is a joke.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Because the team he was assigned to played its last game today.
    SWB plays today in Pawtucket, 3 hours from the Bronx.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    SWB plays today in Pawtucket, 3 hours from the Bronx.
    3 hours? Even with the holiday traffic?
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Where would he play in games if not with the Yankees. I'm assuming you realize that he minor league season is over for Tampa. And worst GM in baseball? Please tell me that is a joke.
    It is not a joke. This is what Blazer tries to argue over and over with posts most of us, other than Arod Era at least, consider skewed and slanted and wrong.

But it is how he relates to the Yankees and he certainly seems to be fully sincere. Of course he has a right to his opinion, regardless of how much of an outlier it is.

NYYF Legend

And now add Cano to the injury sweep-stakes list as he had a bag of ice on his left hip.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    And now add Cano to the injury sweep-stakes list as he had a bag of ice on his left hip.
    It's really his shoulder that's bothering him, but he's too lazy to raise the ice bag higher than his hip.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Cano said that he felt his left hip grab as he chased Gimenez's slow roller through the right side of the infield, which gave the Rays a 4-3 eighth-inning lead that they would hold for the victory.

After receiving treatment from head athletic trainer Steve Donohue, Cano said he was not sure if he will be available to play on Tuesday night.

"Right when I tried to bend, my left foot just came straight up and I felt my hip," Cano said. "It will be hopefully just nothing bad. ... It's tight right now. Hopefully nothing bad or anything."

In Cano's eighth-inning at-bat, he neglected to run hard out of the box on a line drive to third baseman Evan Longoria, but he said that was unrelated to any injuries. Cano said he simply believed Longoria had caught the line drive on the fly, then he started running after realizing that wasn't the case.

On Gimenez's go-ahead hit, Cano said that he was trying to reach for the ball and had a good shot at it, but the ball went under his glove. He said that he would have dove for the ball if the play had been tougher, but Cano didn't think it was necessary at the time.

"If it was even farther, yeah, of course," Cano said when asked if he would have dove. "You've got to keep the ball in the infield, but if you see the replay, [the hip is] why the ball went under my glove."

As he spoke to reporters on Monday evening, Cano said that he had already iced the hip and that while he is concerned, he does not believe the injury is very serious.

"I didn't hear anything pop, thank God," Cano said. "[We'll] see what happens tomorrow."
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

NYYF Legend

Meanwhile, Granderson is expected to be in the starting lineup tomorrow, giving him several more chances to strike out than the single one he got today. And Teixeira is still targeting a Thursday return to the fray:

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira said that his left calf strain is improving and that he hopes to play in the club's upcoming series against the Orioles in Baltimore.

Teixeira said that he would take batting practice on Monday at Tropicana Field and plans to take ground balls and resume running on Tuesday. He took swings in the batting cage on Sunday and said he had no issues.

"It feels more tight now than anything," Teixeira said. "It's not like the pain of the injury. When I hurt it [on Aug. 27], it definitely grabbed and it was sore, but now it's just tight."

Teixeira said that he was told the injury could take 10-15 days to heal, so he is shooting for the lower end of that timeframe.

"What you don't want is any setbacks, so I'm being aggressive but smart," Teixeira said.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

The same notebook has a very brief update on the sidelined starters:

• Yankees left-hander Andy Pettitte (fractured left fibula) is expected to face hitters on Wednesday, Girardi said, and right-hander Ivan Nova (right shoulder inflammation) is expected to do the same on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Granderson is expected to be in the starting lineup tomorrow, giving him several more chances to strike out than the single one he got today.
    Wait ... now we're doing negative predictions in the injury thread?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

-tz is getting bitter.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    -tz is getting bitter.
    Fines are down at the Library.

It's the internet. Plain and simple.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Wait ... now we're doing negative predictions in the injury thread?
    Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

I was unfair to Granderson. He was 0 for 3 tonight with only a single strikeout. And a hit by pitch.

NYYF Legend

On the other hand, it now does not seem likely that Teixeira will return on Thursday, since he is said to be "a few days" away from starting to run.

• Mark Teixeira has decided his strained calf isn’t ready for sprinting just yet. He’s hoping to start running in a few days, and although Thursday hasn’t been ruled out as a day to come off the disabled list, it’s more likely that Teixeira won’t be back until the weekend. “I’m not ready to run yet, so we’ll see where we are the next couple of games,” Teixiera said. “I’d still like to be back sometime during the weekend.”

• When he’s back, Teixeira should be able to play first base. He’ll be able to play the field before he’s able to hit. “The lateral movements at first probably won’t bother me too much,” he said. “But it’s that first step out of the box when you have to hit double or try to run down to first on a ball in the hole or something. That’s going to be the test.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/0...cleared-to-dh/

From the same link, pitching news:

• Ivan Nova threw roughly 20 pitches during live batting practice this afternoon. Nova said he felt “really good” and threw all of his pitches. His slider, he said, was especially sharp, and he felt no discomfort in his right shoulder. “No, thanks God,” he said. “Finally.”

• The Yankees won’t decide what’s next for Nova until they check with him tomorrow. “I thought his arm strength was good, and whenever you have tendonitis, that’s what’s your concerned about,” Girardi said. “I told him this, I want to make sure you feel OK tomorrow before we decide what’s next.”

• Speaking of tomorrow: Andy Pettitte is scheduled to face hitters tomorrow. It will be either a sim game or a live BP (more or less the same thing) and it should give the Yankees some idea of how much longer Pettitte will be out.

• Girardi said, at this point, he doesn’t expect either Nova or Pettitte to go on a rehab assignment. It’s more likely that both will get their work in with simulated games.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

^ He's fine. He'll tell you so himself.

NYYF Legend

Updates on Pettitte, Teixeira and Nova:

• Andy Pettitte was encouraged by a 15-16 pitch sim game this afternoon. He said his command was sharp, and the intensity was amped up based on how good Pettitte felt. He was supposed to throw batting practice — letting hitters know what’s coming — but he instead had simulated at-bats. “I felt like I threw the ball well,” he said. “I felt like I was pushing off full. I almost tried to make it like a game, so it was a good day.”

• Pettitte will throw another sim game in Baltimore this weekend, but the Yankees aren’t sure when he could be in a game. Girardi said he’d like to have Pettitte up to 60 pitches before he’s activated. Pettitte will return as a starter. Girardi said the Yankees won’t use Pettitte as a reliever just so they can get him back more quickly.

• One big concern for Pettitte: He hasn’t been cleared to run yet. That bothers him because it’s such a large part of his workout routine, and he needs to run so that he can start covering bases and making plays off the mound.

• Mark Teixeira is going to try to run tomorrow. “I wouldn’t call it a sprint, though,” Girardi said. Teixeira needs to sprint before he plays. Sounds like Saturday is the earliest he could be back.

• More positive news on Ivan Nova, who felt fine after yesterday’s live batting practice. “He felt good today,” Girardi said. “We’re going to have to talk about that internally, what we’re going to do with him next, but I was very pleased that he came out feeling good today because that’s always your concern. And I felt like all his arm strength was there yesterday.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/0...-bunting-idea/

NYYF Legend

Teixeira update:

MLB Network has been airing some footage of Mark Teixeira running in the outfield today. Maybe they’ve shown more than this, but I’ve only seen video of Teixeira jogging straight ahead at a very slow pace. If you’ve seen it and came away thinking he can barely move, it’s worth noting that Teixeira later ran in large, swooping half circles at a pretty good pace.

“Very encouraging,” Teixeira said. “I’m not sure, 10 or 12 sprints out there, got to probably 80 percent. I’m very encouraged with where that was today. … Game speed and practice speed is a little different, anyway. It’s really tough to fully go out when you’re practicing, but I felt pretty good.”

Teixeira is going to try to ramp up the intensity tomorrow. He’s holding onto a slim hope that he might play tomorrow, but he acknowledges that it’s unlikely. Saturday is a more likely best-case scenario.

“I’m not anticipating it (tomorrow), but we’ll see how he feels tomorrow and watch him go through what he needs to go through and make a decision,” Joe Girardi said. “You have to make sure that when he gets out there he’s ready to play and it’s not like a 50-50 chance that it’s going to happen the first night back. You can’t take that chance. We’ve got to feel pretty good that he’s going to be able to remain healthy.”

Teixeira said his calf is still a little “tight,” but he thinks that might be from a lack of activity the past week or so. Running this afternoon was enough to tell him he wasn’t quite ready to play, but it was also enough to tell him he’s close. If the Yankees still had a 10-game lead, he said, he might want to give it a few extra days just in case. As it is, he doesn’t feel that sort of luxury.

“Obviously if we’re up 10 games, I’m probably going to take that extra day or two,” Teixeira said. “When we’re fighting right now for the lead, I’m going to try to come back as quickly as possible. This is the way it is. I want to be out there really badly right now.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/09/0...etting-closer/

NYYF Legend

From the same source, on Nova:

• There’s a chance Ivan Nova could be activated from the disabled list as early as tomorrow, but Girardi said he and Larry Rothschild have not decided how to use Nova going forward. He’s only missed about two weeks, so it’s not absurd to think he could step straight into the rotation. “We’ve just got to talk about, do we want him to throw in another game, a simulated game?” Girardi said.

• The decision on whether to activate Nova will be made tomorrow when the Yankees check to make sure Nova still feels good. Nova threw a bullpen today, so they want to make sure he’s OK a day later.

• Girardi on the decision of whether to use Nova as a starter or reliever: “We just really haven’t talked about it. We considering him a rotation guy. We don’t consider him a bullpen guy. I want to see how he feels tomorrow before we decide what’s next for him.”

• More from Girardi on Nova: “I don’t really have a concern that he could (not) give you 80, 90 pitches. We don’t have that concern because he hasn’t been off that long. If he had been off longer then yeah. I don’t think 80, 90 pitches would be out of the question for him.”
    It also says that Pettitte will throw another sim game this weekend, probably on Saturday.

NYYF Legend

Yankees Give Teixeira One More Day to Rest Calf:

The Yankees expect to have Mark Teixeira in their lineup and playing first base on Saturday for the third game of a four-game weekend showdown with the Orioles.

Teixeira tested his strained left calf again on Friday and said that he felt better than 80 percent, but manager Joe Girardi and head athletic trainer Steve Donohue recommended that Teixeira rest for one more day before getting back to action.

"They don't want me to play today," Teixeira said Friday. "It's kind of a group decision. Joe & Steve Donohue agreed that when you say you're OK, you're probably saying it too early; give it one extra day. I would have loved to play today, but they just want to be smart."

Teixeira took ground balls at first base on Friday, as well as batting practice, and said he would prefer to play defense rather than serve as the designated hitter in order to keep himself loose. Teixeira fully expects that will be the case.

"If I don't play tomorrow, then we're going to have a lot of conversation," Teixeira said. "Today I just said, 'OK, whatever you guys think is best.' Tomorrow I definitely want to play."
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

NYYF Legend

Nova may be activated this weekend:

The Yankees have right-hander Ivan Nova rested and about ready to come off the disabled list, which could forecast a late rotation switch during this series against the Orioles.

Though manager Joe Girardi said the team has not made any decisions regarding Nova, it is possible that the club could activate Nova to make Sunday's start in place of Freddy Garcia.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Nova said. "They don't tell me anything yet. I'm just waiting like you guys. I've got nothing."

Nova has been on the disabled list since Aug. 23 with inflammation in his right rotator cuff, but fired a 30-pitch bullpen session on Thursday at Camden Yards and said he is anxious to get back in action.

"I can't wait to be back on the mound," Nova said. "It feels like two months for me. It feels so weird. I just want to be back there pitching."

Girardi said that because Nova threw a bullpen session Thursday, he probably couldn't help the Yankees on Friday, but added that they could activate him as soon as Saturday if they want to.

"Right now, we haven't made any decisions," Girardi said. "We're on rotation."
    Same link as above, http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Nova may be activated this weekend:

Same link as above, http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy
    I'd have gone with this pic:

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'd have gone with this pic:

That probably does better on the curves, at that.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information