+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Re: The Injury Update Thread 2012

Via Marc Carig, outfielder Brett Gardner has suffered a setback in his rehab from a bone bruise and right elbow strain. He felt soreness and had swelling in his elbow following his latest minor league rehab game and is headed for an MRI now.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2012/05/gar...8329/?tw_p=twt

Just wonderful.

NYYF Legend

A little more news on Gardner:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Brett Gardner had a setback after coming out of last night's Minor League rehab game and has been sent for another MRI on his right elbow.

Gardner had swelling in the muscular part of his elbow, according to Joe Girardi, which is a different injury than the bone bruise he has been on the disabled list for.

Girardi said he now does not know when the team will get Gardner back. The plan had been for him to rejoin the team today.

NYYF Cy Young

That would just be the icing on the cake if Gardner were to need something like Tommy John surgery!!

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Triple Crown

Pineda, Mo and now Gardner.

It's a good thing that there is a second wild card in 2012.

NYYF Legend

Sounds like Gardner has been golfing with Josh Beckett.

NYYF Legend

Gardner's not coming back soon:

"It's the muscle that he strained, that healed, that he re-strained. He will not pick up a bat for ten days."
    (Girardi in the postgame press conference.)

EDIT: Girardi thinks it will be another 15-25 days before Gardner's back. But he doesn't think it will be "long-term."

NYYF Legend

The Gardner story from Yankees.com:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

After setback, Gardner to miss weeks more

By Bryan Hoch and Joey Nowak / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after Thursday's 5-2 win over the Rays that left fielder Brett Gardner experienced a setback in his rehabilitation from a right elbow injury and will miss at least 15-25 more days of game action.

Gardner, who was likely to rejoin the club for its series finale against Tampa Bay, underwent another MRI exam that revealed a further strain in the muscle in his elbow, which has sidelined him since April 18.

Girardi said that Gardner will not swing a bat for at least 10 days, and the club will re-evaluate his status at that point.

"The muscle that he strained, that healed," Girardi said. "He re-strained it, is basically what it is. We are going to go without Gardy for a while here. It's very unfortunate."

Gardner was playing for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday night and tripled to lead off the first inning, scored a run and walked twice, but he felt some lingering issues after the game.

Girardi seemed encouraged by the fact that this was not the bone bruise that initially bothered Gardner, and the skipper does not expect it to be a long-term concern.

"The concern is we're not going to have him for a while," Girardi said. "As far as, for me, this being a real long-term thing, I don't think this is, like, a three-month thing. But, unfortunately, I think we're going to be without him for another 15-25 days. And that's unfortunate."

NYYF Legend

A story in the New York Times today clarified some matters about the blood clot diagnosed in Mario Rivera's calf. I already posted this excerpt in the dedicated Rivera injury thread in Inside the Lines, but I'll repeat it here:

According to Dr. Craig Levitz, the chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside, N.Y., blood clots are not uncommon for older patients who tear knee ligaments. Rivera is 42, and qualifies as an older patient.

Levitz, who has not been involved in Rivera’s treatment, said a clot could develop in an older patient whose body remained motionless for extended periods, as when someone tears a knee ligament. Younger patients tend to have better circulation, so when they lie down to elevate the injured knee, clots are less likely to form.

“The clot is almost certainly a result of the tear,” said Levitz, who estimated he had surgically repaired 4,000 torn knee ligaments. “It’s not surprising at all, but once you know it’s there, it’s very treatable and more of an inconvenience.”

Levitz also said that clots in the calf are far preferable to clots that form above the knee, which can be very dangerous.
    And:

Rivera said the surgery to repair his knee had not yet been scheduled because he must first regain the full range of motion, which is typical for patients who tear knee ligaments. Before he has the operation, Rivera will go off the blood-thinning medication for 24 hours, then go back on it afterward. Levitz said that the blood-thinning agents might make Rivera’s initial recovery period more challenging because there will be more blood in the knee joint, but that the situation would not affect his long-term recovery.

“His rehab will be a little harder in the first couple of weeks,” Levitz said, “but eventually he will be fine. He should be able to make a complete recovery. He’s way better off having this surgery than something on his shoulder.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/sp...t-in-calf.html

NYYF Legend

Meanwhile, Chavez had to retake a portion of his concussion test. He feels he aced it this time:

Yankees third baseman Eric Chavez took another ImPACT test on Thursday and hopes to soon be cleared by Major League Baseball to come off the seven-day concussion disabled list.

Chavez had been expected to be activated on Thursday, the first day he would have been eligible, but MLB had concerns about one portion of his test. Chavez said that he felt much more confident in his results on the second try.

"We're just waiting for him to be cleared by Major League Baseball," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He has not been cleared yet; I don't know how long it takes. As soon as he's cleared, we'll probably put him in there."
    Same link as for the Gardner story, http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

A bit more about the part of the test he flunked here; I think I'd have flunked it too:
    ďA lot of memorization which Iím not real good at that anyway,Ē Chavez said. ďAn example would be, they would give you 12 words and you would read them. They would give you some other type of test where they would flash some colors and you had to line them up with a P and a Q. Like, P would be red, Q would be blue. You had to match those up, and then you would go back and they would give you a list of 25 words and you had to pick which ones were on there before that. Ö Then they give you shapes and you have to memorize the shapes. And sometimes they turn them upside down. Itís hard. It would be hard for a normal person to take the test, especially me, because memory is not my strong point.Ē
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/1...ks-concussion/

Physically, Chavez says, "Today I can honestly say I feel 100 percent."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Meanwhile, Chavez had to retake a portion of his concussion test. He feels he aced it this time:

Same link as for the Gardner story, http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

A bit more about the part of the test he flunked here; I think I'd have flunked it too:
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/1...ks-concussion/

Physically, Chavez says, "Today I can honestly say I feel 100 percent."
    Damn - I'd screw that test up even if I wasn't a geezer or had no concussion.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2012/...tusion-sprain/
    Ivan Nova left tonightís game with a contusion and sprain of his right ankle. X-rays were negative.

Additionally, left-hander Clay Rapada left tonightís game with a viral infection, the Yankees said.

NYYF Legend

Link to the Nova (and Rapada) story on Yankees.com:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

Meanwhile, Ibanez was HBP on the elbow and left for a pinch runner. I'm sure we'll hear more about all three of these in the postgame show.

Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Injuries adding up in Yankees clubhouse

The Yankees didnít only win last nightís game. They survived it.

ďBarely,Ē Joe Girardi said.

How well the Yankees survived is still a little unclear. The teamís closer is going for tests, last nightís starting pitcher has a bad ankle and the game-winning homer came from a player who hasnít been healthy in a month.
    Updates on Teixeira, Robertson, Nova, Ibanez and Rapada follow, with short- and long-term prognoses.

NYYF Legend

I guess the only good thing about all these injuries is that they're happening now as opposed to September. However, this is getting ridiculous.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

More detailed reports on Nova and Robertson here:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

Robertson said that he felt soreness after a two-out appearance on Friday against the Rays in a non-save situation, an outing in which he threw just six pitches. An MRI exam is likely to be scheduled for Tuesday morning.

"I'm not really concerned," Robertson said. "I would like to get back out there as soon as I can. But I don't want to go out there and take a risk [and] end up putting myself on the DL for a long period of time. There's a little worry, but I honestly, don't think it's too bad."

Nova had a similar level of concern, though he was dejected after twisting his ankle while coming off the mound to field a Wilson Betemit tapper in Baltimore's half of the sixth inning.

"The X-rays came back negative, so that's a good thing," Girardi said. "Basically, we're going to have to see how he feels tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to be sore where he got hit with the ball, and we're going to have to see how bad he turned it."

Nova said he suffered a similar injury to the opposite ankle last year while pitching for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He did not miss a start because the All-Star break permitted him extra rest.

"I guess [Tuesday] is going to be worse; you never know," Nova said. "It happened to me last year in Triple-A, and the next day was the bad day. Hopefully tomorrow it won't be like that."

Any word on Gardner? Whats the eta?

We're gonna need pitching- exactly why is Freddy tkaing up a roster spot?

We have many options better than him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Cy Young

Now DRob on the DL The pitching injury list this year is positively absurd!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Any word on Gardner? Whats the eta?
    They shut him down from BB activities for 10 days when he relapsed. I don't think he's supposed to do anything until next Monday give or take a day.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Unlike the other injuries, this injury is short-term.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Has that been announced?
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    Has that been announced?
    Yes, I've read quotes from Cashman about a strain oblque.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Yes, I've read quotes from Cashman about a strain oblque.
    Well that sucks.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Thread Information