+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: The Injury Update Thread 2012

Quote Originally Posted by yanknbama View Post
    Not judging anyone's reaction, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of sympathy from the story.
    I'm not.

Think of all the times you've seen a parent (including yourself if you are a parent) witness their own child get hurt, and their first reaction is anger at the carelessness or foolishness that led to the injury. Does that mean the parent doesn't love the child, or doesn't understand that accidents happen, or doesn't ultimately believe that concern for the child's well-being should come first? Of course not.

Sometimes the more important someone is to us, the quicker we are to fault them for doing something that could take them away from us. Not saying it's "right" to react that way, but it's common enough that it's probably at least partly driven by instinct.
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 03-24-12 at 07:36 AM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

The news is a bit better today:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Cashman visited the pitcher at St. Joseph's Hospital, where he had undergone surgery Thursday night. He said Chamberlain told him that, according to the doctors, he could be back on the mound in July. The general manager downplayed the possibility.

"That's the optimistic side," Cashman said. "As any orthopedic will tell you, you have to go through the whole spectrum [of rehab].

"The way I work this stuff, my mindset is, until they're close to knocking on the door, I [don't worry about it]. Obviously, in Joba's case, it's still a question of when he comes back. I just hope we're in a position where he can come back."
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...ital-tomorrow/

Joba Chamberlain is expected to be released from St. Joseph’s Hospital tomorrow, and the fact he’s staying tonight is little more than a precaution, Joe Girardi said.

After an extra-inning win against the Tigers, Girardi announced that MRI and CT scan results showed no microfractures in Chamberlain’s dislocated right ankle, and doctors have enough confidence that he’s avoided infection that they’re willing to release him on Sunday. No more surgeries are planned, and Girardi has been told that Chamberlain will remain in a cast for six weeks.

“Now he’s got to heal,” Girardi said.

There is a real sense of optimism in Yankees camp today, especially compared to yesterday’s focus on the worst-case scenario and the gruesome nature of the injury. Girardi didn’t seem to think it’s unreasonable to think Chamberlain actually could get on a mound by July, but obviously any timetables are premature guesses at this point. There’s still some significantly healing that has to take place.

“We’re not going to rush him because that’s a very important leg,” Girardi said. “That’s your push-off leg. If we (feel) that he’s not pushing off correctly, we’ll back him down. But we’ve got to get to that point first.”

NYYF Legend

Cashman hopeful as Joba leaves hospital

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- After dealing with an injury as severe as Joba Chamberlain's open right ankle disclocation, it would be understandable if a dirge was playing at George M. Steinbrenner Field on Sunday. Instead, the mood remained relatively upbeat.

Chamberlain was released from St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa on Sunday after underoing surgery on Thursday to repair the open dislocation suffered in a trampoline accident. Chamberlain, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, still has a long road ahead, but on Sunday, general manager Brian Cashman echoed the optimism that manager Joe Girardi voiced on Saturday.

"There's a limit of what we can give in terms of absolutes, and there's a spectrum of risk to optimism," Cashman said. "We're not in the position to give absolutes [that] this is going to be a definite one way or the other. So far, he's been in great hands. He's been getting everything necessary. Things are going as good as can be expected, as I understand it, which is obviously terrific. Hopefully, it continues that way."

Chamberlain will be in a non-weight-bearing cast for six weeks, and he'll be in a weight-bearing boot after that. In the meantime, Chamberlain will continue to receive treatment to make sure there's no infection.

"I think there is risk, but as every day goes by, it gets reduced," Cashman said. "I also think that's why they'll continue to monitor it, to clean the wound, all those different things."

Given the severity of the injury, the Yankees' first concern was to make sure Chamberlain would be fine off the baseball field. With that hurdle cleared -- assuming there aren't complications -- the focus could turn to allowing Chamberlain to return to baseball, and there remained hope that he'd be able to make his way back to the mound, both from the elbow surgery and this most recent injury, this season.

"You know Joba -- obviously, he's been dealing with a lot," Cashman said. "But he's a healer. He gets hurt, but his healing process is really significant. I'm counting on that in this case, too. That's why my gut tells me he's going to be OK. I hope I'm right on that."

When Cashman visited Chamberlain in the hospital, he saw a somewhat dejected pitcher, a difference from the right-hander's typically ebullient personality. At the same time, Cashman reported that Chamberlain was determined and grateful for the support he's received over the past couple of days.

"[He's] down, but he's got perspective at the same time,"C ashman said. "I think he's frustrated, but at the same time, he's a man and he knows what the road ahead is. He's not afraid of it. I think his attitude, and I hate to speak for him, is, 'What do I need to do to get back?'

"He knows there's a lot of people who care about him, both here, his family and obviously fan-wise. He's received a lot of concerns, well-wishes and prayers. I know for that he's thankful. He told me to tell everybody, 'Thanks for praying for me.' That stuff helps."
    ... but at the same time, he's a man and he knows what the road ahead is.
    Good job he's not a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Cashman hopeful as Joba leaves hospital

Good job he's not a woman.
    Are you British? I've never heard an American use "good job" in this context, ever.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Are you British? I've never heard an American use "good job" in this context, ever.
    I'm not British, but I've picked that one up from British friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'm British and I've never heard a Brit use Good job in that context either.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

good job (as in 'It's a good job he left') = fortunate state of affairs
    http://www.davidappleyard.com/englis...glossary/G.htm

The more I think about it, the more I realise it's a Scottish thing as I keep imagining my old politics teacher saying Good Job he wasn't... in his thick Glaswegian accent.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...eady-progress/
    • Nick Swisher seemed to get through batting practice just fine. He was jogging afterward. Girardi said the plan is for Swisher to play minor league games Wednesday and Thursday before getting in a big league game on Friday. In minor league games, Swisher can hit without having to run the bases. Girardi has no significant concerns about Swisher being ready for Opening Day. “My sense is that he’ll be ready,” Girardi said.

• Alex Rodriguez’s ribs are fine after being hit by a pitch on Sunday. Girardi said he didn’t think Rodriguez even needed any treatment yesterday. He’s in the lineup today and it’s a non-issue.

NYYF Legend

Curtis Granderson felt some soreness around his right elbow while working out today. Joe Girardi said he went to play catch and felt nothing out of the ordinary, but Granderson is going for a precautionary MRI tomorrow just in case.

“I’m just hoping it’s precautionary,” Girardi said. “I don’t like not having him, I’ll tell you that.”

Brian Cashman described his level of concern as a “two or lower” on a scale from 1 to 10.

“We’ll do a precautionary MRI tomorrow to make sure it’s nothing significant,” Cashman said. “We don’t believe it is. Because of the time or year and everything like that, better safe than sorry. Until we have that certainty that there’s nothing significant, we’ll hold him out.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...tionary-tests/

NYYF Legend

• The Yankees got good news on Curtis Granderson’s right elbow. An MRI showed no problems, and Girardi didn’t rule out the idea of Granderson playing as early as tomorrow.

• More good news on Nick Swisher who managed to get 10 at-bats at the minor league complex today. He’ll go back to the complex tomorrow, and Girardi said he might play the outfield depending on how he feels. Girardi doesn’t expect him to take so many at-bats this time.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...g-adjustments/

On the other hand ...

Austin Romine has suffered a setback in his recovery from a back injury and likely won’t be ready for the start of the Triple-A season.

Having already missed every spring training game, Romine was finally going through drills again when he felt a “little pinch” in his back. Joe Girardi wasn’t sure whether it happened Monday or Tuesday, but it’s clearly bad news for the Yankees catching prospect.

“I think it’s going to be hard for him to start on time,” Girardi said.

Romine has been dealing with back issues since last season, and he was shutdown early this spring because of inflammation in his back. Long after Romine reported that the soreness had gone, the Yankees kept him on a rehab and treatment program in an attempt to get rid of the problem for good. He seemed to be making progress until this week.

“He doesn’t feel great,” Girardi said.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...ffers-setback/

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/3...oing-for-mris/
    Michael Pineda will have an MRI on his shoulder tomorrow. Brian Cashman admitted that hes concerned.

Also, Cesar Cabral is in a sling and will have an MRI and an X-Ray after feeling pain in his left elbow.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    a little more on the same:

"It's great news," Joe Girardi said. "Very relieved, because the rest of the MRI came out good. You always worry about rotator cuff and other things in the shoulder. The rest of the shoulder came out good."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1qiItKUXF

Mark Feinsand@BloggingBombers Cabral has a stress fracture on the tip of his elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Mark Feinsand@BloggingBombers Cabral has a stress fracture on the tip of his elbow.
    does a dl stint meanhe also needs to be in mlb part of next year too in order not to be sent back to boston?

NYYF Legend

Just a bit more info on Cabral:
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy
    Left-hander Cesar Cabral, who appeared to be on the cusp of making the Opening Day roster, has a stress fracture at the tip of his left elbow, the Yankees announced Saturday.

Cabral was examined by Dr. Daniel Murphy and received an X-ray, MRI and CT scan. His elbow was placed in a splint. No treatment plan has been formulated at this point, but he will open the season on the disabled list.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    does a dl stint meanhe also needs to be in mlb part of next year too in order not to be sent back to boston?
    I won't guarantee this answer is correct, but I believe that if he spends the entire 2012 season on the DL, then the Rule V rules apply to next season (i.e. - makes the team or has to be waived).

Cabral is in a bit of a unique position in that he is a second time Rule V draftee, so if he does not make the ML roster, he can opt for free agency as opposed to simply being returned to Boston.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF MVP

My concern is A-rod, I think that this whole hip & knee thing is taking it's toll on him. He depended so much on his incredible speed, which is now gone, a thing of the past. It's like taking forth gear out of a race car, or taking one of his dominate tools away.

So my concern is how Alex deals with his now permanent lack of speed, as he still struggles with trying to accept lower half problems... Think about it he's like a thoroughbred with a limp. This all seems to be too much for the big guy to deal with, an accept.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    My concern is A-rod, I think that this whole hip & knee thing is taking it's toll on him. He depended so much on his incredible speed, which is now gone, a thing of the past. It's like taking forth gear out of a race car, or taking one of his dominate tools away.

So my concern is how Alex deals with his now permanent lack of speed, as he still struggles with trying to accept lower half problems... Think about it he's like a thoroughbred with a limp. This all seems to be too much for the big guy to deal with, an accept.

Not saying his injuries and age shouldn't be a concern, but what are you seeing to make you believe this now? I think he has looked great this spring, and have not seen any evidence as yet of the "limp" or that he has struggled to accept any injury..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Please remember that this thread is primarily for news about players who are currently injured, not speculation about how past injuries might affect future performance. Also, I don't recall that Rodriguez was ever particularly distinguished for "incredible speed," or that it was something he particularly depended on.

NYYF MVP

Please remember that this thread is primarily for news about players who are currently injured, not speculation about how past injuries might affect future performance. Also, I don't recall that Rodriguez was ever particularly distinguished for "incredible speed," or that it was something he particularly depended on.
    Are you telling me that I can't speculate, if so why?? These are my personal opinions.. He stole plenty of bases & stretched out plenty of doubles. To say his speed doesn't matter is being preposterous.

So taking his better then average speed away has no effect, and speaking about recent surgeries in your opinion is also a no no. So I spent all of last season not knowing that I wasn't to speculate or voice my opinions, according to who? Listen, I'll say what I want when ever I want, an if the forum has a problem with me then they'll let me know...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Are you telling me that I can't speculate, if so why?? These are my personal opinions.. He stole plenty of bases & stretched out plenty of doubles. To say his speed doesn't matter is being preposterous.

So taking his better then average speed away has no effect, and speaking about recent surgeries in your opinion is also a no no. So I spent all of last season not knowing that I wasn't to speculate or voice my opinions, according to who? Listen, I'll say what I want when ever I want, an if the forum has a problem with me then they'll let me know...
    You're certainly allowed to speculate about these things. I believe that what -tz was trying to tell you is that this thread is specifically for injury updates, just so we have them all in one place for easy access. Discussion about those injuries should be in the appropriate player performance thread, or a thread that has been specially established to discuss a particular injury (Joba's ankle dislocation, for example.) Your thoughts on Alex's health would be welcome and better suited in the Alex Rodriguez performance thread.

As a frequent contributor to this thread, that's my take and my preference.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    You're certainly allowed to speculate about these things. I believe that what -tz was trying to tell you is that this thread is specifically for injury updates, just so we have them all in one place for easy access. Discussion about those injuries should be in the appropriate player performance thread, or a thread that has been specially established to discuss a particular injury (Joba's ankle dislocation, for example.) Your thoughts on Alex's health would be welcome and better suited in the Alex Rodriguez performance thread.

As a frequent contributor to this thread, that's my take and my preference.
    OK Eldee5 you do have a point, point being that I really did forget what thread I was in. Thank you for pointing that out, an also I'd very much like to apologize to -Tz for jumping on his reply, and showing such a quick trigger.

I thought I was in the Alex thread truthfully, I should have realized that because of the response By my fellow fans. After all, I do say what I feel, and -Tz has never suggested anything about me speculating before an we all know that is mainly what I do...

So I'd like very much to at least wait until the season starts before we drop the puck..
    Just kidding, I thought that I'd throw that in there. Once again, 'thank you' Eldee5 An I'm sorry to you -Tz, mostly for not remembering that you wouldn't put me in my place for no reason what so ever.. Even though I'm looking forward to debating sometime soon!

NYYF Legend

Just one quick word on this and I'll say no more since this is an injury thread and not a performance trhead.

A-rod did go 40/40 in 1998 and stole between 20-30 bases in 6 other seasons. I think since the hip injury those days are likely gone but it should not be forgotten he had great speed once upon a time and avergaed nearly 20 SBs per year in his first 4 seasons with the Yankees.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information