+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Injury Update Thread 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Nick Johnson's career doesn't look quite wrecked right now - it only was while he was on the Yankees! I'm still really nervous about Gardner's recovery.
    That seems to be the case for a lot of ex-Yankees. Once they leave the Bronx, the injuries are healed and/or they re-discover whatever they lost while they were here. Clippard looks like Wild Thing now. Okay, he's in the NL, but still....

At least the MRI showed Gardy's injury has healed. I'll take it.....I'll take anything that's positive right now.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    That seems to be the case for a lot of ex-Yankees. Once they leave the Bronx, the injuries are healed and/or they re-discover whatever they lost while they were here. Clippard looks like Wild Thing now. Okay, he's in the NL, but still....

At least the MRI showed Gardy's injury has healed. I'll take it.....I'll take anything that's positive right now.
    It has nothing to do with pitching in NL. The Yankees never considered trying Clippard in the pen and got burned when Albadejho turned into a human hit parade while Clippard is the best non-closing reliever in baseball. When was Clippard injured?

All jokes aside, the Yankees are an impatient organization except when it comes to Joba and Hughes.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    It has nothing to do with pitching in NL. The Yankees never considered trying Clippard in the pen and got burned when Albadejho turned into a human hit parade while Clippard is the best non-closing reliever in baseball. When was Clippard injured?

All jokes aside, the Yankees are an impatient organization except when it comes to Joba and Hughes.
    Huh? If he was on the Yankees last year, he wouldn't have been the best non-closing reliever on the team
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Huh? If he was on the Yankees last year, he wouldn't have been the best non-closing reliever on the team
    Yes he would. His .838 whip and 104 k's top all Yankee relievers in 2011. Looks up the stat before you jump all over people.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Yes he would. His .838 whip and 104 k's top all Yankee relievers in 2011. Looks up the stat before you jump all over people.
    I don't know why you'd use a counting stat to say he was better. I'll take the ridiculous 13.5 K/9. And, yes, at some point you do have to factor in that he played in a division/league where there was less offense.

And, seriously -- that was "jumping all over you?"
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

That was supposed to be a joke..... However, I do think the NL East is a little weaker overall than the AL East as far as hitting goes and not just because the pitcher bats. Clippard's not a starter, but overall, the top five starting pitchers in the NL all have WHIP's under 1.00 and ERA-wise four out of the top five come in under 2.00.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    That was supposed to be a joke..... However, I do think the NL East is a little weaker overall than the AL East as far as hitting goes and not just because the pitcher bats. Clippard's not a starter, but overall, the top five starting pitchers in the NL all have WHIP's under 1.00 and ERA-wise four out of the top five come in under 2.00.
    You're probably right about with the divisional comps.

FYI, Clippard didn't face a single pitcher last year.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    You're probably right about with the divisional comps.

FYI, Clippard didn't face a single pitcher last year.
    Even so, the NL lineups are weaker and so are their pitchhitters in comparison to AL DHs.

NYYF Legend

A couple of updates on prominent Yankees' minor leaguers:
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/2...nto-the-radar/
    • Manny Banuelos and Jose Campos are both on the disabled list because of elbow injuries, but the Yankees aren’t sure yet whether the situations are similar. Banuelos still has more tests planned. “They both have to do with the elbow pain or discomfort or whatever,” Newman said. “But I don’t know that they come about from the same reason. … There’s always concern. I wouldn’t say there’s more or less with either.”

• The Yankees know more about the Campos injury than the Banuelos injury, so they can say more about it. Newman said he’s encouraged by the fact Campos has no problem with the ligament, which mean it doesn’t currently look like a Tommy John risk. No word on when Campos will be able to pitch again. His last start was April 28.
    Good to hear that Campos doesn't seem to be looking at TJS. Not so good that there really isn't much news at all coming out about Banuelos.

NYYF Triple Crown

This season sucks.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

NYYF Legend

Please people ... stick to injury updates in this thread, and try to control yourselves when you're tempted to post comments about the excellence or lack thereof of other teams' players.

NYYF Legend

Russell Martin is out today with a stiff neck (and a chronically low batting average):

Russell Martin has a stiff neck. He felt it yesterday, and it’s still bothering him today, which is the reason he’s not in the lineup for this afternoon’s series finale in Oakland.

“It was pretty bad yesterday,” Joe Girardi said. “It’s better today, but it’s not quite where it needs to be. Hopefully he’ll be OK tomorrow. … We’ve all had stiff necks. It could be the way you sleep on a pillow. It could be a lot of different things. I’m hoping he’ll be back tomorrow.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/2...-a-stiff-neck/

NYYF Legend

• Brett Gardner took some dry swings today in Tampa, and he’ll swing again tomorrow, but Girardi said it will take at least another 10 days for Gardner to rejoin the Yankees lineup. He still has to hit of a tee, then take light batting practice, then full batting practice, then a rehab assignment. “I think he changes our lineup, the speed that he provides an his ability to create runs,” Girardi said. “But still, everyone’s going to have to hit and contribute, but he does give you a little bit different element than the rest of our team.”

• Dave Robertson played catch today and again had no problems. Girardi said he didn’t have Robertson’s exact rehab schedule, but he was pretty sure Robertson was scheduled to play catch again tomorrow. Still no mound work for him.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

^ Sigh.

NYYF Legend

I saw this blurb on rotoworld

Yankees transferred RHP Brad Meyers from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
    I have no idea who Brad Meyers is or that he was even in the Yankee organization let alone that he had found his way on to the 25 man roster and the 15 day DL.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/2...o-be-a-battle/
    • David Aardsma tweeted today that he’ll be facing hitters on Friday. It will be hit first time throwing to a hitter in more than a year.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I saw this blurb on rotoworld

I have no idea who Brad Meyers is or that he was even in the Yankee organization let alone that he had found his way on to the 25 man roster and the 15 day DL.
    I think Meyers was on the 40 man roster but never the 25 man roster. He's never pitched in MLB and he allowed 7 earned runs in 1 2/3 innings in his only game this season which was for the Tampa Yankees. Maybe he pitched so bad because he was hurt.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I think Meyers was on the 40 man roster but never the 25 man roster. He's never pitched in MLB and he allowed 7 earned runs in 1 2/3 innings in his only game this season which was for the Tampa Yankees. Maybe he pitched so bad because he was hurt.
    Odd. I thought you had to be on the 25 man MLB roster to be up on the DL unless you were put on the DL in spring before rosters were set. Though good news for Meyers as he'll get a pretty big raise collecting an MLB salary on the 60 day DL.

Though I susppose it could have been something procedural like - call up Meyers immediately DL - recall player who was optioned to take his place without him ever leaving the team.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Odd. I thought you had to be on the 25 man MLB roster to be up on the DL unless you were put on the DL in spring before rosters were set. Though good news for Meyers as he'll get a pretty big raise collecting an MLB salary on the 60 day DL.

Though I susppose it could have been something procedural like - call up Meyers immediately DL - recall player who was optioned to take his place without him ever leaving the team.
    I'm not sure why you think he is suddenly getting a raise He got hurt in a minor league game on a minor league optiopn so he's getting paid the minor league salary that is in his contract. Minor league players on the 40 man roster who get hurt in the minors can be moved to the 60 day DL. I don't think any procedural move needs to be made. Humburto Sanchez went from the minor league DL to the 60 man DL without ever being called up I believe.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Meyers was one of our two Rule 5 draft selections in December (along with Cabral), so he has to be on the 25-man roster or the DL - otherwise he has to be offered back to the Nationals.

The only mention in transactions that I can find is that on April 4, his "roster status was changed", so I guess that was when he went on the DL - I see no mention that he was offered back to the Nationals.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Today's update on Gardner and Robertson:

• For the second straight day down in Tampa, Brett Gardner took dry swings today. He’ll progress to tee and toss tomorrow, continuing his rehab from a strained elbow.

• Rehabbing from a strained oblique, Dave Robertson played catch for 50 throws today. Girardi said he’s still not sure when Robertson will get on a mound, but he should have a date by tomorrow.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/2...hes-doing-now/

NYYF Legend

Next installment of today's update on Gardner and Robertson:

• Brett Gardner did tee and toss today, and he’ll likely do the same tomorrow. He’ll need to take some live batting practice before getting into a game. Girardi said he’s not sure when Gardner will be ready to start a rehab assignment.

• Dave Robertson had a scheduled day off today. He’ll resume throwing tomorrow and should be on a mound Saturday. Still not sure when he’ll get into a game either, but the stiffness he initially felt when he started throwing again has gone away. Progressing as expected.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/3...of-everything/

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    • Brett Gardner did tee and toss today, and he’ll likely do the same tomorrow.
    I bet this sentence is hilarious in England.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I bet this sentence is hilarious in England.
    Two countries separated by a common language
    - G.B. Shaw
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...rtson-mid-june
    NEW YORK -- New York Yankees reliever David Robertson is expected to be out at least another two weeks because of his rib-cage injury, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com.

"Robertson, I would shoot for not earlier than mid-June," Cashman said Thursday.

Robertson currently is working out at the Yankees' training complex in Tampa. Cashman said Robertson still needs to do bullpens, batting practices and then rehab games.

"None of that has happened yet," said Cashman, who typically is cautious with injuries. "He didn't think this was a serious issue and then the next thing you know, it turned into a DL and it has turned into something that is longer than 15 days."

Cashman said Robertson hasn't had any setbacks in the last couple of days.

"They are all guessing games," Cashman said. "If it is sooner, great. If it is later, then it is later.

"If you are trying to iron me down right now, I would say mid-June. He hasn't had any setbacks in the last 48 hours."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...y-b-campos-etc
    Brett Gardner (elbow) is getting close, but not close enough for Brian Cashman to give a date when he could return.

"We start looking at potentially scheduling games in the minor leagues," Cashman said. "I will hold off on that until the batting practice sessions."

Gardner, out since the middle of April, could take batting practice this weekend and then play in a few rehab games before returning to the Yanks. So at some point toward the end of next week seems possible.
    The second article I linked also includes updates on Joba, Aardsma, Banuelos, Campos and Romine. Romine has been cleared for baseball activities.

Thread Information