+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Assuming they make the playoffs, if he can round back into form prior to October, what better time to take advantage of a cyborg. It's not like an arm injury to a guy with 10+ years left in the tank. I do wonder though if he came back and went out on top if that would mean he'd retire prior to the '13 season.
    IMO, I think he's committed mentally to pitching in 2013.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Assuming they make the playoffs, if he can round back into form prior to October, what better time to take advantage of a cyborg. It's not like an arm injury to a guy with 10+ years left in the tank. I do wonder though if he came back and went out on top if that would mean he'd retire prior to the '13 season.
    Mo already said he is coming back. Mo is true to his word.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Its more likely that the Yankees will tell Mo to take his time and be ready for next year.
    Why? If he's ready to pitch, why not have him pitch?

If Mariano comes back and pitches like Mariano and if Joba comes back and pitches like Joba was supposed to always pitch like, well then the Yankee Bullpen is awfully deep. What is to become of Cody Eppley?
    Pardon, for us.

They'd have to arrange an injury to another reliever in order to get Mo on the roster. Not that that would be too difficult...
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They'd have to arrange an injury to another reliever in order to get Mo on the roster. Not that that would be too difficult...
    Jeff Gillooly? That seems a bit harsh.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Would they? He's just on the DL -- wouldn't he be eligible?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Yeah he'd be totally eligible, they'd just have to activate him from the DL.

Not only that if he's not ready he can be used as the injured player to add basically any pitcher from the farm to replace HIM on the post season roster if they want to.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    IMO, I think he's committed mentally to pitching in 2013.
    Mo already said he is coming back. Mo is true to his word.
    My line of thinking was that he made that commitment/those comments when it was extremely doubtful he step on a mound this season. Not saying he wouldn't come back in '13 regardless, but if he were for example to seal a game 7 victory at home in the '12 WS, if that wouldn't be the way he wanted to go out.

I was under the assumption that he'd be ready by May-June next year. Was this never the case?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I was under the assumption that he'd be ready by May-June next year. Was this never the case?
    I remember hearing about a possible 2012 return almost from the beginning. I still think that's crazy talk, but at a minimum I think a full season in 2013 is becoming a more realistic expectation.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I remember hearing about a possible 2012 return almost from the beginning. I still think that's crazy talk, but at a minimum I think a full season in 2013 is becoming a more realistic expectation.
    I would hate to see Mo rush back and not be the same pitcher in 2012. If Joba does come back the bullpen should be more than good enough to get through the Post Season. Would rather see Mo pitch in 2013 back to his usual form.

[QUOTE=JDPNYY;7543640]If Mariano comes back and pitches like Mariano and if Joba comes back and pitches like Joba was supposed to always pitch like, well then the Yankee Bullpen is awfully deep. What is to become of Cody Eppley?[/QUOTE]

AAA.

Trade bait! Eppley for Trumbo.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Would rather see Mo pitch in 2013 back to his usual form.
    I would rather see Mo pitch when he's healthy and ready to pitch. I think it would be foolish to rush a valuable player back. I think it would be similarly foolish to hold a valuable player back if he's truly ready. (I also think the concept of "more than good enough" doesn't exist in the post-season).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I would rather see Mo pitch when he's healthy and ready to pitch. I think it would be foolish to rush a valuable player back. I think it would be similarly foolish to hold a valuable player back if he's truly ready. (I also think the concept of "more than good enough" doesn't exist in the post-season).
    Well put.

I recall when Jerry Rice tried to come back too soon from a similar injury. The result was a broken knee cap in his very first game in spite of the fact that he looked 100%.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Random tidbit:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yanks-m...0447--mlb.html
    The New York Stock Exchange announced Monday that New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera will ring the Opening Bell on Wednesday, July 18.
    Hope tomorrow's a banner day for the stock market--we can all give credit to the GOAT!

Let's hope he doesn't trip going up to that podium.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Random tidbit:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yanks-m...0447--mlb.html

Hope tomorrow's a banner day for the stock market--we can all give credit to the GOAT!
    Shouldn't he do the closing bell?
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Shouldn't he do the closing bell?

Gimme 42 shares of Mo to go.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

I just heard it on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I just heard it on the radio.
    Did it sound tintinnabulous?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...8190&oid=36019
    Although he may be the most successful closer in Major League history, Mariano Rivera spent his hump day actually "starting" for a change.
    On Wednesday morning, Rivera rung the opening bell to signal the beginning of the trading day at the New York Stock Exchange, and followed that up with a furious version of the customary closing gavel bang proving that even though his knee may be injured, his right arm is as lively as ever.
    You can see the video here:
    http://youtu.be/ttSFHIP2RPw

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Actually, you can argue that Mo is NOT currently on the 40-man roster, since players on the 60-day DL do not count against the 40 man limit.

To activate him from the DL, someone will have to be DFA'd.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Thanks for posting it. He looks great - miss seeing that mega-watt smile of his.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Actually, you can argue that Mo is NOT currently on the 40-man roster, since players on the 60-day DL do not count against the 40 man limit.

To activate him from the DL, someone will have to be DFA'd.
    When the Yankees activated Sabathia, who was on the 40 man roster while on the 15 day disabled list, and designated McDonald for assignment, that opened a spot on the 40 man roster, although MLB still lists McDonald on the 40 man roster (they can always take him off the 40 man roster later if they haven't done so already). Note that Chamberlain and possibly Aardsma will also need to be put on the 40 man roster before Rivera comes back.

Thread Information