+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 305
  1. #26
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerstrong View Post
    Interesting way to brag how much you make....
    I also get paid less than half of what he makes.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  2. #27

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    He's strongly hinting that this is his last season.

    Edit: Link: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/02/2...ankees+Blog%29
    bad decision on his part to make this a year-long distraction. either say what you already know, or say nothing and go out like Moose. maybe he can say "im not going to talk about this anymore" like Jeter did last year

  3. #28
    NYYF Legend

    SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Oh well. Sad to see him go. Nothing good last forever...

    So next year it's?

    CL: Robertson
    SU: Chamberlain

  4. #29

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    This was just posted on the ESPN NY website:

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...94867/know-say

    I think it is looking more and more like this will be his last year....

  5. #30
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MD_Yankee_Fan View Post
    This was just posted on the ESPN NY website:

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...94867/know-say

    I think it is looking more and more like this will be his last year....
    If this is his last year, and I'm Joe Girardi and the Yankees...

    I move Robertson to the closer position and let Mariano set up. For a number of reasons.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  6. #31
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I move Robertson to the closer position and let Mariano set up. For a number of reasons.
    No reason makes sense sorry any argument you would make would fall under overthinking.

    Mo is is still a elite relief pitcher and doing this would create a unnecessary wrinkle and story line as well as controversy.

    I mean your logic/argument is probably Robertson is the successor so why not let him close this year to get used to it.

    But sorry not even Joe Girardi over-thinks/overmangages to this point.

  7. #32
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    No reason makes sense sorry any argument you would make would fall under overthinking.

    Mo is is still a elite relief pitcher and doing this would create a unnecessary wrinkle and story line as well as controversy.

    I mean your logic/argument is probably Robertson is the successor so why not let him close this year to get used to it.

    But sorry not even Joe Girardi over-thinks/overmangages to this point.
    We know that Mo is an elite closer and we know that he is an elite 7th or 8th inning set up man.
    We know Robertson is an elite 7th or 8th inning set up man, but we do not know if he is an elite closer.

    This is reason 15, why Robertson should close.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  8. #33
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Joe Girardi thinks you're over thinking.

    It takes more then one year to findout if a closer is going to be successful, heck most elite closers only have a 4-7 shelf of being elite

    Mo being the exception.

    In Mo's first full year as a closer he gave up a season ending home run to Sandy Alomar Jr. in 1997

    Logically you could say Mo was the better pitcher and the heir apparent yet he set up for Wetteland in 1996.

    If Robertson gave up a season ending home run in 2013 it doesn't mean he isn't equipped to be the closer and it means nothing that he was still setting up for Mo in 2012.

    You're over thinking

    I would still say going off of last year Mo is still the best option at closer even though Roberton had an amazing season.

    Robertson himself says he needs to work on his walks and making innings longer and throwing more pitches then he has to, to get the job done.

    Mo on the other hand gives you 6-10 pitch innings with out breaking a sweat.

    That's just the baseball side of it, not counting the unnecessary controversy it would cause.

  9. #34

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Holy smokes.

  10. #35
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Joe Girardi thinks you're over thinking.

    It takes more then one year to findout if a closer is going to be successful, heck most elite closers only have a 4-7 shelf of being elite

    Mo being the exception.

    In Mo's first full year as a closer he gave up a season ending home run to Sandy Alomar Jr. in 1997

    Logically you could say Mo was the better pitcher and the heir apparent yet he set up for Wetteland in 1996.

    If Robertson gave up a season ending home run in 2013 it doesn't mean he isn't equipped to be the closer and it means nothing that he was still setting up for Mo in 2012.

    You're over thinking

    I would still say going off of last year Mo is still the best option at closer even though Roberton had an amazing season.

    Robertson himself says he needs to work on his walks and making innings longer and throwing more pitches then he has to, to get the job done.

    Mo on the other hand gives you 6-10 pitch innings with out breaking a sweat.

    That's just the baseball side of it, not counting the unnecessary controversy it would cause.
    When was the last time a team won a World Championship with a 42 year old closer?

    This is reason 14, why Robertson should close.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  11. #36
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    You're making my brain hurt.

  12. #37
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    You're making my brain hurt.
    Don't ever allow another individual to make your brain hurt. Good advice from JDPNYY.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  13. #38
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    I'm not here enough to differentiate posters and their personalities and I probably never will but I think I understand you now.

    You're alright in my book.

  14. #39
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    I'm not here enough to differentiate posters and their personalities and I probably never will but I think I understand you now.

    You're alright in my book.
    ...and you are alright in my book.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  15. #40

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Damn better rack up the autographs while you still can!!

  16. #41
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    When he does get there, I bet there won't be any gray uniforms in his locker.
    Well, there just might be.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/02/2...o-on-the-road/
    Every spring training, Mariano Rivera gets to his locker and finds a pair of gray pants hanging on the rod. They’ve always been a joke… until now.

    Rivera is actually planning to go on the road this spring. From March 31 through April 3, the Yankees play four consecutive road games, including two exhibitions at the new Marlins stadium in Miami. Rivera said today that he’s actually planning to make that trip. At that point, he’ll need to pitch, and apparently he’s going to do it on the road against big leaguers rather than in Tampa at the minor league complex.

    At least, that’s what he says now. Let’s see what he’s saying on March 30.

  17. #42
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Sincerely hope he doesn't hang it up at the end. He deserves a proper sendoff and taking that away from the fans would suck. Paulie's ovation in game six of the '01 WS still gives me chills.

  18. #43
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Sincerely hope he doesn't hang it up at the end. He deserves a proper sendoff and taking that away from the fans would suck. Paulie's ovation in game six of the '01 WS still gives me chills.
    How about a save in Game 7 of the World Series at home? Imagine how tough a ticket that would be....

  19. #44

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    How about a save in Game 7 of the World Series at home? Imagine how tough a ticket that would be....
    Yeah. The perfect ending would be him closing the door in Game 7 at home and, in the midst of the celebration, you get the "Mariano!" chant from the crowd. We can only hope.

  20. #45

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    it's incredible how he's become BETTER at 40
    always reasonable

  21. #46

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Counting the postseason, Mariano's numbers as a reliever are:
    1302.1 IP, 1.91 ERA, 0.946 WHIP, 8.18 K/9, 1.91 BB/9, 4.29 K/BB.

    Holy crap.

  22. #47
    Forum Regular
    TheStraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Western New York

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Counting the postseason, Mariano's numbers as a reliever are:
    1302.1 IP, 1.91 ERA, 0.946 WHIP, 8.18 K/9, 1.91 BB/9, 4.29 K/BB.

    Holy crap.
    If he is not elected unanimously on the first HOF Ballot, then truly it can be said that no player ever will.

  23. #48
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStraw View Post
    If he is not elected unanimously on the first HOF Ballot, then truly it can be said that no player ever will.
    He won't, and yes it can be said. It's a clan of crusty old bastards who are waiting for Jesus Christ to play and retire before every single one votes up on a first rounder

  24. #49
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philly Burbs

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStraw View Post
    If he is not elected unanimously on the first HOF Ballot, then truly it can be said that no player ever will.
    There are better players in the hall right now who don't have 100%, so if Mariano's doesn't get it I won't be stunned. I really don't expect him too either, Probably around 90%.

  25. #50

    Re: 2012 Mariano Rivera Performance Thread

    some of these guys just send in empty ballots.
    always reasonable

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts