View Poll Results: What is your other favorite team alongside the Yankees?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yankees/Jets

11 18.97%
  • Yankees/Giants

33 56.90%
  • Yankees/Other

14 24.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fact or Fiction: Are most Yankees fans Giants fans?

As everyone knows, a lot of people assume that Yankees fans are Giants fans while Mets fans are Jets fans. However, that is not always the case since there are Yankees fans who are Jets fans/fans of another team and Mets fans who are Giants fans/fans of another team. I created this poll based off a similar poll on forums.theganggreen.com.

I would like to know what are your thoughts on this?

(Note: I'm a Yankees/Jets fan)

Re: Fact or Fiction: Are most Yankees fans Giants fans?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKNP View Post

(Note: I'm a Yankees/Jets fan)
    As am I.

I know they are out there, but I think Yanks/Jets folks are in the overwhelming minority.

Yankees/Jets

The Giants haven't played in Yankee Stadium since 1973, and the Jets haven't played in Shea since 1983. I think the connections are a whole lot weaker than they used to be.

Judging by the way so many Giants fans whine and complain that the whole team needs to be released and the coaching staff needs to be fired whenever there's a turnover or unconverted first down coupled with the way so many Yankee fans whine and complain that the whole team needs to be released and the coaching/managment staff needs to be fired whenever the Yanks are down 2 runs in the first three innings...

...I'd say YES is the answer to this thread's question.

NYYF Legend

Not even close.......

Devoted Member

Overwhelmingly Giants/Yankees. I still remember watching the '01 World Series in NYC with a bunch of Jets fans around rooting against the Yanks.. especially after Game 7. If my memory is correct, the Jets also played that day.

I think this is a fact, but I am Yankees/Jets personally. That said, many in my family are Mets/Giants.

I'm not really a New Yorker so I don't know if I count, but I am a Patriots fans.

*Prepares for abuse*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I'm not really a New Yorker so I don't know if I count, but I am a Patriots fans.
    It's actually against the law here.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post

*Prepares for abuse*
    I think the abuse already happened last Sunday.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    That cold man,really cold.......

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    It's actually against the law here.
    I figured that much, but by the time I realised the rivalry between New England and New York I was a fan of both for some years and then it just became awkward so I don't really talk about my allegiances much and can get away from it all as I don't live in either state.

One thing though I'ma much bigger fan of the Yankees than pats but that could be because I love baseball way more than handegg.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Most of the abuse I get is from my phone, I have the ESPN score center app on my homepage to show me scores and for some reason despite both United and the Knicks winning their games this past week it still decides to show me the result from last Sunday which is annoying as hell.

Dont the English give you sh*t for supporting the rebel colonials?

"fee, fi , fo, fum......blood of an Englishman" probably killed the chance of Giant fandom

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Dont the English give you sh*t for supporting the rebel colonials?
    Probably haven't given enough F*cks to notice.

Lol ok then

NYYF Legend

Most Giant fans I know are Yankee fans and most Jet fans I know are Mets fans...but there are exceptions. One of my brothers is Giants/Mets, the other brother is Jets/Mets.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I find it's still a strong Mets/Jets, Yankees/Giants split among my friends...my boss is Mets/Giants but he's the exception.

NYYF Cy Young

I'm a Yankees/Giants fan. There are some people I know who are Yankees/Jets and Mets/Giants fans. Heck, I know some who are Yankees/Cowboys fans! And Red Sox/ Giants fans. I think The majority of Yankees fans are Giants fans-both organizations are similar in the way they go about things IMO. But I think the gap is getting smaller.

YES this is a fact.

My perception is that Yankees/Jets is more common than Mets/Giants, but that Yankees/Giants is definitely more common than Yankees/Jets. However, that could just be because there are far more Yankees fans than Mets fans, and also more Giants fans than Jets fans. It makes sense since they come in the largest numbers that Yankees/Giants fans would be more common than Yankees/Jets fans, the same as, say, Yankees/Lakers fans are no doubt more common than Yankees/Nuggets fans.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    My perception is that Yankees/Jets is more common than Mets/Giants, but that Yankees/Giants is definitely more common than Yankees/Jets. However, that could just be because there are far more Yankees fans than Mets fans, and also more Giants fans than Jets fans. It makes sense since they come in the largest numbers that Yankees/Giants fans would be more common than Yankees/Jets fans, the same as, say, Yankees/Lakers fans are no doubt more common than Yankees/Nuggets fans.
    Some of it I think still goes back to geography. If you lived in Manhattan and North/West (NJ, Bronx, Westchester, Rockland, etc) you were a Yankees/Giants fan. The Giants played in YS until the early 70s then moved to the still-easy to get to Meadowlands. If you lived in SI/Brooklyn/Queens, you were a Mets/Jets fan.

After the Jets moved to NJ, some of those ties were broken...but as we pass our fandom down to our children, some of them remain. I am in a mixed marriage -- I am a Giants fan, my wife is a Jets fan. My son follows my wife in rooting for the Jets, my daughter follows me and roots for the Giants. But we ALL root for the Yankees!

Wow! I never expected this thread to get popular. I'm aware that the Yankees/Giants and Mets/Jets connection is from the days when Giants played at Yankee Stadium while Jets played at Shea. Even though the gap is getting smaller due to the Giants and Jets moving to the Meadowlands, the respective fanbases still continue to the generations passing down to the next.

However, for me I'm a 1st generation sports fan since my parents weren't sports fans during their upbringing. I remember the days when the Yankees were doing extremely well under Joe Torre and Jets had a great season under Bill Parcells. Granted, I didn't become a full time Yankees/Jets fan until the 21st century. I believe witnessing these events was a precursor of what came to be.

We can all agree to disagree, and I can get on the same page with Yankees/Giants fans and Mets/Jets fans to an extent. Yankees/Jets are rare to find, but I'll definitely not bring up baseball or football with Mets/Giants fans.

Thread Information