Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Whitney Houston is dead

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Flags at half staff in NJ. Absurd.
    Agreed. Completely absurd.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Gov. Christie set the precedent because he did it for Clarence Clemons. Obviously, Clarence was a more upstanding individual, but if you do for one native son entertainer you have to do it for the other. I agree that the honor should not be granted to civilians.
    You sure that Clarence Clemons was a native son?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Clemons
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I know it's been a week and the funeral was this weekend but I still am in shock. It's so sad such a fantastic singer with charm, beauty and aligance has gone from this world.

She was so talented and literally had a voice from an angel. I still get chills when listening to her version of "I will always love you". It's one of her best! I reckon. Followed by "Greatest love of all" (which could describe my dedication to the Yankees, in fandom kind of way lol)

It's so sad that she couldn't battle her demons and everyone has them unfortunetly. 48 is just way too young. I could speculate on her marriage with Bobby Brown as being her down fall but I choose not to and just remember her for the music she created.

RIP - Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    You sure that Clarence Clemons was a native son?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Clemons
    Not by birth, but by being a beloved member of the E Street Band.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

At least she died doing what she loved. Cocaine.
    Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Not by birth, but by being a beloved member of the E Street Band.
    There is one and only one definition of the term "native son". That would be that he was born there.

Clarence Clemons, as great as he was in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, was not a native son, as was mentioned earlier. Rather, Jersey was his adopted home, and he would therefore be an adopted son. Same with Roger Clemens or GW Bush and the State of Texas.

The late Whitney Houston, was a native daughter of NJ, since she was born in Newark, NJ.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

there's nothing 'NJ' about Whitney Houston. not to sound crass, but i'm certain 99% of the country muttered 'she's from New Jersey?'...when it was revealed where she was from.

everyone knows where the E Street Band is associated with..

flying a flag at half mast for either though is just an insult to those who've paid the ultimate, however.

So allegedly, this is causing quite a bit of a stink. She was buried in a cemetery in a not-very-big town near here: Westfield. It's a lovely place with a classic downtown, nice neighborhoods etc. Anyway--apparently they are not crazy about all the crowds and the place needed to shut down to the public.

A woman I know from HS wondered about this very thing on Facebook last week; she lives in Florida now but her family is all buried there, what if she wants to visit her grandma etc...I guess she has her answer. Sad. I guess if you can prove you are visiting family you can go there, but still this pretty much sucks.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...rave_site.html

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    So allegedly, this is causing quite a bit of a stink. She was buried in a cemetery in a not-very-big town near here: Westfield. It's a lovely place with a classic downtown, nice neighborhoods etc. Anyway--apparently they are not crazy about all the crowds and the place needed to shut down to the public.

A woman I know from HS wondered about this very thing on Facebook last week; she lives in Florida now but her family is all buried there, what if she wants to visit her grandma etc...I guess she has her answer. Sad. I guess if you can prove you are visiting family you can go there, but still this pretty much sucks.

The crowds eventually will die out. (No pun intended.) I don't think Forest Lawns and Westwood Village Memorial Park (two cemeteries in L.A. with numerous superstars buried at them) are overrun by visitors these days. There probably are the usual tourists, and those places are more built to handle them, but I still think the gawkers eventually will stop going to see Whitney's grave. It'll just take a little time. In the meantime, it does suck for your friend and others who have trouble visiting their loved ones there.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I like the handmade sign saying if you want to show your love, buy her music and send it to #1 and the money can go to her daughter...

...except her (arguably) biggest hit is "I Will Always Love You", written by Dolly Parton, and owned by Dolly Parton. So Dolly is making huge money again (for the 4th time at least) off this song...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    The crowds eventually will die out. (No pun intended.) I don't think Forest Lawns and Westwood Village Memorial Park (two cemeteries in L.A. with numerous superstars buried at them) are overrun by visitors these days. There probably are the usual tourists, and those places are more built to handle them, but I still think the gawkers eventually will stop going to see Whitney's grave. It'll just take a little time. In the meantime, it does suck for your friend and others who have trouble visiting their loved ones there.
    Yeah but those cemeteries are in Los Angeles and there are "numerous superstars" buried there and the whole...culture there is spawned by celebrity pretty much. This is a small town in central NJ and she is, as far as I know, the only famous person buried there.

NYYF HOF

Yeah but those cemeteries are in Los Angeles and there are "numerous superstars" buried there and the whole...culture there is spawned by celebrity pretty much. This is a small town in central NJ and she is, as far as I know, the only famous person buried there.
    Well, there's the lady that invented the Apgar scale:
    Notable burials
    Virginia Apgar (1909–1974), founder of Neonatology and the Apgar score[2]
    Charles Newell Fowler (1922–1989), Congressman[2]
    Whitney Houston (1963–2012), singer, beside her father John Russell Houston, who died in 2003[2]
    1971 murder victims of John Emil List (Frederick List, Helen List, Patricia List)[2]
    Claydes Charles Smith (1948–2006), co-founder of Kool & the Gang[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairvie...d,_New_Jersey)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I like the handmade sign saying if you want to show your love, buy her music and send it to #1 and the money can go to her daughter...

...except her (arguably) biggest hit is "I Will Always Love You", written by Dolly Parton, and owned by Dolly Parton. So Dolly is making huge money again (for the 4th time at least) off this song...
    As far as I'm concerned, Dolly owns it in more ways than one. She didn't try to blow you away with it the way Whitney did - just sang it straight, simple, direct, and sincerely heartful, in that light, gorgeous soprano of hers.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Dolly owns it in more ways than one. She didn't try to blow you away with it the way Whitney did - just sang it straight, simple, direct, and sincerely heartful, in that light, gorgeous soprano of hers.
    Whitney had a great big voice, but Dolly is the true legend after having been at this for many, many years, long before we'd heard of Whitney Houston. She also did "9 to 5" about working-class women.

I'd still consider Patsy Cline, who'd perished many years ago in an airplane crash, one of the strongest, sweet-voiced singers that I've ever heard (comes from endlessly listening to the jukebox at The Village Idiot many years ago).

So with all of Whitney's good looks, elegance, great voice, big-name relatives, endless connections like Clive Davis, she let that all go up in coke and crack? I still haven't gotten over that part for the past 15 years.

Yeah. the place was a zoo this weekend. I went home to Westfield to visit my parents over the long weekend and it just so happened to be Whitneypalooza. They had no parking signs put up for blocks upon blocks and cops stationed around the cemetary overnight and there were a bunch of news trucks, etc.

My dad goes to the Greek Orthodox church right across the street from the cemetary and they had to go through a checkpoint just to get in to their own services. To make it worse, some poor guy was getting ordained that day and half the people who wanted to couldn't even get in to see him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Yeah. the place was a zoo this weekend. I went home to Westfield to visit my parents over the long weekend and it just so happened to be Whitneypalooza. They had no parking signs put up for blocks upon blocks and cops stationed around the cemetary overnight and there were a bunch of news trucks, etc.

My dad goes to the Greek Orthodox church right across the street from the cemetary and they had to go through a checkpoint just to get in to their own services. To make it worse, some poor guy was getting ordained that day and half the people who wanted to couldn't even get in to see him.
    yikes - what a mess...i was going to go to Trader Joe's there this weekend and changed my mind when I heard that's where the burial would be...

I didn't realize you were from Westfield - it's a beautiful town...one of my doctors is in Westfield.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    yikes - what a mess...i was going to go to Trader Joe's there this weekend and changed my mind when I heard that's where the burial would be...

I didn't realize you were from Westfield - it's a beautiful town...one of my doctors is in Westfield.
    Yup! Born in Rahway, raised in Westfield.

NYYF Legend

I'd say we were sort of neighbors but I'm much younger than you. my boss's boss lives there - he makes a few million a year - big bucks.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Then we are rivals (I grew up in Scotch Plains). I hate you.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    Boooo! Go SPF yourself.

I rest my case!

My best friend from Girl Scout Camp lived in Westfield so I spent a lot of sleepover time there and have lots of fond memories. The main reason I go there now, however, is Lord & Taylor. Which I still call Hahne's.

NYYF Legend

I rest my case!

My best friend from Girl Scout Camp lived in Westfield so I spent a lot of sleepover time there and have lots of fond memories. The main reason I go there now, however, is Lord & Taylor. Which I still call Hahne's.
    A friend of my mom's worked at that Lord and Taylor for years after she retired...shortly before Christmas a few years ago, she was crossing that street there and was killed by a hit and run driver. I think I posted about it at the time...very sad - really nice woman too...

Since I avoid malls at all costs, I like that they have a lot of individual little shops that I go to on occasion like Williams and Sonoma...they also have a Trader Joe's there which I like to hit up every so often, especially for their body gel.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    whenever I think of Scotch Plains, I think of Snuffy's. (but I think it had another longer name too?)...my junior year of high school, we had our sorority formal there. (yes, we had sororities in high school - very odd. )

whenever I think of Scotch Plains, I think of Snuffy's. (but I think it had another longer name too?)...my junior year of high school, we had our sorority formal there. (yes, we had sororities in high school - very odd. )
    For some reason, my extended family goes there everytime somebody dies. No clue why.

Are you thinking of Snuffy's Pantagis? If so, it's still called that. Oh, wait! I'm wrong. It's now called......Pantagis Renaissance. Give me a break. IT'S SNUFFY'S!

OMG. The tackiness. http://www.pantagis.com/

ETA: NTTAWWT

I have never set foot in Snuffy's although I've lived in this area for most of my life. But I know all kinds of people who had their weddings there etc.

My parents' synagogue is in Scotch Plains.

Thread Information