+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: can usernames be changed?

Choose wisely, my friends...

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Can someone tell me why it's a big deal to change a user name? I'm fine with mine but I'm just curious. Is it because it's too easy for retreads to return or something? They do anyway so I guess it can't be that. From what I understand it's pretty easy to get a diff IP address.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Can someone tell me why it's a big deal to change a user name? I'm fine with mine but I'm just curious. Is it because it's too easy for retreads to return or something? They do anyway so I guess it can't be that. From what I understand it's pretty easy to get a diff IP address.
    I think they figure people will get confused and start bugging the mods about "who is this guy" and "where did all that other guy's posts go"

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rymaster or ryan_yankees View Post
    choose wisely, my friends...
    ITA
    aa
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    There is no reason aside from the mods being lazy. Every other forum I visit you can change your username as many times as you want.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    There is no reason aside from the mods being lazy. Every other forum I visit you can change your username as many times as you want.

I'm a member of (probably too ) many. On none are you allowed to change your username.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Unless this forum has very strange coding or something, it's real easy to change someone's user name. It's just that on a forum like this that used to be extremely active I'm sure the admins didn't feel like dealing with tons of requests for name changes (another issue, not sure who on this board has access to the admin CP to change them, if it's just the owners then they're not around much).
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

With the policy being that user names can't be changed, it promotes a sense of continuity.

It's the policy not the ability.

A wise man once said (a few days ago):

Choose wisely, my friends...
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF MVP

When I chose mine, had NO idea how much I would subsequently despise the last 3 letters as a name.

I will pay somebody just to knock one of the latter "e"s off of mine. PM me. Pleeeeeease? Odds are, nobody will miss it anyways. Don't want to lose my 3 s.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    When I chose mine, had NO idea how much I would subsequently despise the last 3 letters as a name.

I will pay somebody just to knock one of the latter "e"s off of mine. PM me. Pleeeeeease? Odds are, nobody will miss it anyways. Don't want to lose my 3 s.
    What's so despicable about the username HerbieLee20? You'd prefer HerbiL20?

You've got about 400 posts, so unless you're worried about thread-starting capabilities, I don't think that it's a big deal.

People who've created offensive-sounding usernames have had their usernames changed. If you're really concerned about your username, please send a PM to "Bub" and see if he can work things out. I think that the above account would be nuked, then you'd pick a new username, starting with zero posts. If he allows this, then I'd very much advise you to pick your new username VERY CAREFULLY.

If your primary concern is the number of ""s that are attached to your name (which is something of no value to me, BTW), then you may just wish to keep the current username.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    What's so despicable about the username HerbieLee20? You'd prefer HerbiL20?

If your primary concern is the number of ""s that are attached to your name (which is something of no value to me, BTW), then you may just wish to keep the current username.
    It's the "Lee" I can't stand. Cringe whenever I see it. Just ditching one E off the end would be cool. Have had a boss and a landlord with that name too and they were the absolute worst but the Rangers pitcher put it over the top.

Since I'm not immune to making stupid posts, would just like people to know I'm not a newbie.

Thanks.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

It's the "Lee" I can't stand. Cringe whenever I see it. Just ditching one E off the end would be cool. Have had a boss and a landlord with that name too and they were the absolute worst but the Rangers pitcher put it over the top.

Since I'm not immune to making stupid posts, would just like people to know I'm not a newbie.

Thanks.
    I figured it had to do with Cliff Lee

Thanks.
    I've heard that Lee and Chin are among the more popular names in NY's Chinatown. Even Spike is named Lee. I really don't find this very objectionable.

I don't see anything more than coincidence when your boss and landlord both have the same last name. Would it be any different had they been named Williams or Jackson?

As to the Rangers pitcher, he wears #33, not #20, which is at the end of your username.

Link.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    With the policy being that user names can't be changed, it promotes a sense of continuity.
    Yes, that is exactly it. A community like this is built around usernames. If people were constantly changing them it would make that hard.

We have always changed usernames for people who had a special circumstance, such as they registered using personally identifiable info (like their legal name or email) or their username became inappropriate (such as "LidleWillNeverCrashandBurn").

If there was an easy way to track it, I would support allowing everyone to change their username once.

-JF
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F. View Post
    Yes, that is exactly it. A community like this is built around usernames. If people were constantly changing them it would make that hard.

We have always changed usernames for people who had a special circumstance, such as they registered using personally identifiable info (like their legal name or email) or their username became inappropriate (such as "LidleWillNeverCrashandBurn").

If there was an easy way to track it, I would support allowing everyone to change their username once.

-JF
    you could enforce them to have a custom user title for a year.. So..

Little_e could have a custom user title of "Formerly Big_E" for 12 months..

just an off-the-cuff idea
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F. View Post

-JF
    I agree that a community relies upon knowing who you're dealing with. I also believe that not changing names prevents some people from just talking smack, then coming back under a new username, as if the ill-guided posts never existed at all.

I think you'll have to remember objectionable names, such as the infamous (MannyHasHeadLice) to the infamous AND over-the-top (BozIz...)

Oh, and thank you for allowing me to change the latter name to this username.

I have often flirted with the idea of changing it to Luigi....
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF MVP

I agree that a community relies upon knowing who you're dealing with. I also believe that not changing names prevents some people from just talking smack, then coming back under a new username, as if the ill-guided posts never existed at all.
    True

I guess what I've been trying to convey is, I'd be be thrilled with HerbieLe20. Or Herbieee20.

Glad for this thread at any rate as at least it's public knowledge that I now cringe when I see "Lee" on my handle. It's a fine name (no offense Spike & Co.) -- just don't like it on mine anymore.

Hey great to see you again, JimF!!

(You may or not remember when I joined & explained my handle, nickname given by Pete Rose to a favorite non-Yankee player I grew up with, thus the #20.)

True

I guess what I've been trying to convey is, I'd be be thrilled with HerbieLe20. Or Herbieee20.

Glad for this thread at any rate as at least it's public knowledge that I now cringe when I see "Lee" on my handle. It's a fine name (no offense Spike & Co.) -- just don't like it on mine anymore.

Hey great to see you again, JimF!!

(You may or not remember when I joined & explained my handle, nickname given by Pete Rose to a favorite non-Yankee player I grew up with, thus the #20.)
    I still have no idea what is so despicable about the name Lee. I mean, since you've made such a big deal out of it, would you kindly hit the hammer on the nail and give us a crystal clear idea as to your strong dislike of this name?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I have often flirted with the idea of changing it to Luigi....
    Yeah, well weren't you that guy Vicenzo before this?

*runs & hides*

NYYF MVP

I still have no idea what is so despicable about the name Lee. I mean, since you've made such a big deal out of it, would you kindly hit the hammer on the nail and give us a crystal clear idea as to your strong dislike of this name?
    No big deal. Just saying why (I didn't start this thread)

I don't think the name, itself, is "despicable", not by any stretch. I simply am not fond of it associated with *my* screen ID any longer. It reminds me of said landlord, and former boss so my personal "3 strikes" rule kicked in for it with the Cliff Lee thing.
    Can't stand the Phillies and I gotta live here in Phillies' Country!

You can probably imagine how popular his jersey is here
    At any rate, thanks for letting me explain :>)

No big deal. Just saying why (I didn't start this thread)

I don't think the name, itself, is "despicable", not by any stretch. I simply am not fond of it associated with *my* screen ID any longer. It reminds me of said landlord, and former boss so my personal "3 strikes" rule kicked in for it with the Cliff Lee thing.
    Can't stand the Phillies and I gotta live here in Phillies' Country!

You can probably imagine how popular his jersey is here
    At any rate, thanks for letting me explain :>)
    Well, OK, now I remember again.

Unless a massive amounts of people named Lee do something really off-the-wall, you're officially stuck with that username. If you wish to change your username, you should contact "Bub", have him nuke your current account, then pick a new username.

I have no idea what's your infatuation with post count (especially since you're in the 400-post count range), since it doesn't relate one bit about who you are here and what people think of you. If you'd like some of my 45,000 or so, I'll be happy to give you 10,000 or so of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey yankee View Post
    yeah, well weren't you that guy vicenzo before this?

*runs & hides*
    Hehehehe
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF MVP

Well, OK, now I remember again.

I have no idea what's your infatuation with post count (especially since you're in the 400-post count range), since it doesn't relate... If you'd like some of my 45,000 or so, I'll be happy to give you 10,000 or so of mine.
    LOL you're taking this much more seriously than I am.

I just like the s. Until you mentioned it, had no idea how many posts I actually had (reckon it's one for every 100 now).

I'll take some of your s though. How bout we trade, one of my "E"s for 3 of your s? You could be JerseyYankeeE

(PS I am posting in light-hearted mode, not meant to be sarcastic.)

LOL you're taking this much more seriously than I am.

I just like the s. Until you mentioned it, had no idea how many posts I actually had (reckon it's one for every 100 now).

I'll take some of your s though. How bout we trade, one of my "E"s for 3 of your s? You could be JerseyYankeeE

(PS I am posting in light-hearted mode, not meant to be sarcastic.)
    You can have one and only one of two things:

Yer post count (and thus, the 's)

-or-

A new username.

Please pick one. I'm done.

Thread Information