+ Reply to Thread
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Goodell: NFL 'considering eliminating' Pro Bowl

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Goodell: NFL 'considering eliminating' Pro Bowl

I believe this year's Pro Bowl had the same rating as most of the World Series games did.

Good call by Goodell on this one. What happens in the Pro Bowl is not football in any real sense, and it's pretty embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Good call by Goodell on this one. What happens in the Pro Bowl is not football in any real sense, and it's pretty embarrassing.
    When did they shift it to before the Super Bowl. Not that this makes any difference.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I like this guy's ideas about the Pro Bowl.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...x-the-pro-bowl

The NFL should make it clear that you're going to see things during the Pro Bowl that are dramatically different from the standard presentation and flow of an NFL game, and use it as a hook to get people to tune in. In-game tweeting does not qualify.

Like what? We thought you'd never ask. Bring the helmet cam back for replays and let us see what Aaron Rodgers sees. In fact, go to the end zone camera that coaches use and that virtually all Madden players know and love and use that as the primary camera for a quarter. Experiment with no announcers and just use the crowd noise, or pipe in a different feed. What would it be like to exclusively listen to the coaches for a possession? Give Jared Allen a microphone and follow him onto and off of the field (with a censor close by) for a few minutes. Let current players into the booth for an extended stint. Put microchips in everything and expand the graphical options available to the television network.

As for the football side, well, let's start with those microchips. See if the Pro Bowl can serve as a test of some sort of technology that accurately depicts where the ball should be spotted at the end of a play or if a touchdown should be awarded. We should be past the point where referees and low-level employees holding chains should have to run onto the field in a perfectly straight line to accurately measure ball placement. It's 2012. Implement a three-point conversion from the 15-yard line, or allow them to retain the football if they score a touchdown on a conversion attempt from the 25. Laser goalposts. Let players run toward the line of scrimmage before the snap, CFL-style. Prevent teams from punting more than once per half.

You can probably think of dozens more. Nobody's tuning into the Pro Bowl to see real football anyway, so why not take it to another level and see if you stumble across something fun?

NYYF Legend

I'm glad Rodgers said some of the play was embarrassing. They are taking people's money for them to not give any effort...I say get rid of it...

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    When did they shift it to before the Super Bowl. Not that this makes any difference.
    I think about 2 or 3 years ago.

I dont understand why everyone gets so angry over something they dont have to watch. For weeks leading up to it, you wont find anyone who thinks the game is going to be played like a real game is.
    Yet, when the day comes around, folks complain that the game isnt played like the regular games are.

If I'm Goodell and I look at the ratings. I'd keep running it out there until the ratings were such that it made no sense to keep going with it.
    Its like selling the most fat dripping burgers...everyone knows you can find a better burger but if folks buy it, let them.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    If I'm Goodell and I look at the ratings. I'd keep running it out there until the ratings were such that it made no sense to keep going with it.
    The only thing the Pro Bowl finishes first in is sucking, according to the fans. It's time for it to go.
    pro bowl sucks worst.png
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...n-pro-sports/1

NFL Pro Bowl TV ratings fall 8.1%

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...don-marshall/1

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    The only thing the Pro Bowl finishes first in is sucking, according to the fans. It's time for it to go.
    Attachment 20792

A poll like that isn't close to conclusive of anything. I don't like it, or watch it, but It's still the most watched of the four games, which says a lot more.

Maybe Goodell needs to talk to Bud about how to make it count, next time.

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Attachment 20792

When an exhibition game can get the rating that the pro bowl last weekend got...I'd be happy with it. If they get rid of it, then I'd be ok with that also. Its only an exhibition...a practice/pick up game.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

When an exhibition game can get the rating that the pro bowl last weekend got...I'd be happy with it. If they get rid of it, then I'd be ok with that also. Its only an exhibition...a practice/pick up game.
    I pretty much feel the same way. I'm definitely not watching it so I will not miss it if it goes, but if they want to keep playing it, that's fine, too. The fact alone that they're even contemplating the subject of maybe discontinuing it tells me that they are fully aware that enough people think it's a joke that it may be better to not have it at all than to keep having articles written about it highlighting how terrible and irrelevant it is. The ratings steadily plummeting won't help it either.

Skills competition > half hearted game

Eliminate the week off between the Super Bowl.

NYYF Legend

i'd rather they move the super bowl to Saturday (and keep the week off)...

NYYF Legend

I dont understand why everyone gets so angry over something they dont have to watch. For weeks leading up to it, you wont find anyone who thinks the game is going to be played like a real game is.
    Yet, when the day comes around, folks complain that the game isnt played like the regular games are.

Its like selling the most fat dripping burgers...everyone knows you can find a better burger but if folks buy it, let them.
    I agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It makes too much sense.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    It makes too much sense.
    They would need to start the game an hour later on a Saturday.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    They would need to start the game an hour later on a Saturday.
    I'd be totally OK with that in exchange for the next day being a non-work day.
    I think most would.

Thread Information