+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl XLVI

NYYF Legend

Re: Super Bowl XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I'm concerned about the quick passes they'll try to do. That's how they will avoid the pass rush. They're not really throw down the field a lot offense. Although I think they will take a shot here and there.

How do the Giants defend that?
    Jump a route and take it away.

I'm concerned about the quick passes they'll try to do. That's how they will avoid the pass rush. They're not really throw down the field a lot offense. Although I think they will take a shot here and there.

Make the first available tackle and avoid the big play. Brady isnt going to complete all of his passes, so at some point because they dont have down the field options, they will find themselves in 3rd and medium/long. We have excelled in those downs for quite a while now and that will have to continue.

Another thing, our D-Linemen will have to shed their blockers and get their hands up to bat passes down or to make Brady have to wait a little longer for open passing lanes. Luckily, we have guys who are big enough, athletic enough and long enough to do that.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

To be honest, Wilfork is the only one that concerns me on their defense.

If they're not going to get consistent pressure (ie.49ers in the second half) on Eli, he will pick that defense apart. Something similar to Green Bay. imo
    I completely agree with all the points you've made in this thread.

I'd like an easy win but the Giants hardly ever like to make it easy, so I expect a somewhat inconsistent pass rush and the young receivers to have some drops due to nerves. I'm hoping the pass rush comes at the right times and the drops don't cost us in big turnovers or lost scoring opportunities.

Also no big blown coverage "Vernon Davis TD" type miscues like last game and we should be ok. It's amazing that the Giants defense pretty much dominated the 49ers offense and 2 plays took the game to overtime. Can't have that happen again as I have the feeling the Pat's Punt Returner won't be as generous to us as the 49er's was.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I just hope the officials are not as generous to NE as the other crew was to GB.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

On a lighter note, this is a fun read about the many dozens of prop bets one can make for this game. LVH has 44 pages worth of bets from the interesting to the downright ridiculous.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ale-nfl-season

NYYF Cy Young

Jam the receivers at the line, plus our DE's have some monstrous wing spans...get those hands up for some deflections.

NYYF Legend

I've been watching interviews all week. Pretty funny that whenever the Patriots DBs are mentioned to Cruz, Nicks and Manningham, ALL have a smile on their face.
    At the same time they're trying their hardest not to say anything wrong. lol

NYYF HOF

Yeah, some were making a big deal out of Manningham saying he wanted Edelman out there or whatnot, but honestly, what do you expect him to say? He didn't disrespect him (actually said he was a great football player) but, he wasn't drafted as a DB and yada, yada,yada. The media will try to make too much out of anything being said this week.

The biggest thing I saw was actually from Rolle, who said that they weren't worried about Gronk or the TE's because they have reads in their secondary that most teams do not have. He did have 8/101 and a TD in the last meeting.

Either way, I don't think you'll get much more from either team this week. I don't have great feelings about the game (I think our secondary will get torched by Eli and your WR's), The only hope is that they maybe they try to pick on Edelman too much and Eli makes a mistake. But I just don't see that happening.

NYYF Legend

My sister lives in New Hampshire and she just sent me this pic of her church bulletin:

This shouldn't surprise me as my niece got abused up there through years of school for any NY team affiliation - and as much from teachers as students. I just don't think it's cute ...blech.

is it because there's only one team up there to root for for each sport that it's such an odd mentality?
    Attached Images

NYYF Legend

I take solace in the fact that in week 9, Brady, Welker and Gronkowski, all had big games and the Giants still won.

That kind of tells me that the Giants don't have to completely shut these players down, in order to win.
    Brady and his targets can have an 'A' game and still lose.

On the other end. I don't think Eli had an overall great game. Nicks and Bradshaw missing probably played a factor. He did a great job of pulling it out at the end.

The Giants are more talented and better. If they play like it. They will win.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    My sister lives in New Hampshire and she just sent me this pic of her church bulletin:

This shouldn't surprise me as my niece got abused up there through years of school for any NY team affiliation - and as much from teachers as students. I just don't think it's cute ...blech.

is it because there's only one team up there to root for for each sport that it's such an odd mentality?
    It's a shame your niece got picked on for being a Yankee fan, but I don't think it's a big deal that things are being postponed or moved around so people can watch the game. Here in Portland, I know of a few small businesses that are closing early on Sunday night.

Also, I'm quite certain that this would only happen for the Super Bowl. I'm not sure if it would happen for game 7 of any other sport. Maybe. But the Super Bowl is kind of like a national holiday and it amps up even more when the hometown team is playing in it.

You know, the message aside, I love the fact that someone did this. When I was in college, one of my professors made a last minute change to our midterms and decided to do a night exam instead of during regular class hours. And she changed it to the time of game 1 of the 1996 World Series. I had plans with friends to hang out and watch that game (I was a Boston University student at the time) and I begged her to change it, or to have me take it earlier. She would not budge and I missed the game.. As it turns out, that game sucked for us Yankee fans, although the series turned out well of course. But I never forgave that professor for doing that to me..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

They cancelled my daughter's basketball practice on Sunday because of the game, but the coach was pretty funny about it. Sorry about your niece but luckily my kids haven't been given too much grief about rooting for the Yanks or Giants, but there does seem to be a decent amount of NY fans where we live.

There definitely is a passion for the local teams up here and at times it can be annoying. I have several friends on Facebook on ignore this week because I'm tired of reading all of their crap about the Giants.

NYYF Legend

I take solace in the fact that in week 9, Brady, Welker and Gronkowski, all had big games and the Giants still won.

That kind of tells me that the Giants don't have to completely shut these players down, in order to win.
    Brady and his targets can have an 'A' game and still lose.

On the other end. I don't think Eli had an overall great game. Nicks and Bradshaw missing probably played a factor. He did a great job of pulling it out at the end.

The Giants are more talented and better. If they play like it. They will win.
    The Pats' X factor is The Law Firm. If he runs at will like the game against the Raven, then Brady and his targets can have an 'B' game and still win.

NYYF Legend

Giants have good run stoppers, so I don't anticipate the Pats running all that well.

NYYF Legend

Giants have good run stoppers, so I don't anticipate the Pats running all that well.
    The Ravens not only have good run stoppers, they have great run stoppers. No one really anticipates the Pats to run or to run well and teams may be too focus on their passing game IMO.

NYYF Legend

All the experts are picking the Giants.

Giants are starting to talk. Now I don't have a huge problem with that. As long as they back it up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    It's a shame your niece got picked on for being a Yankee fan, but I don't think it's a big deal that things are being postponed or moved around so people can watch the game. Here in Portland, I know of a few small businesses that are closing early on Sunday night.

Also, I'm quite certain that this would only happen for the Super Bowl. I'm not sure if it would happen for game 7 of any other sport. Maybe. But the Super Bowl is kind of like a national holiday and it amps up even more when the hometown team is playing in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    You know, the message aside, I love the fact that someone did this. When I was in college, one of my professors made a last minute change to our midterms and decided to do a night exam instead of during regular class hours. And she changed it to the time of game 1 of the 1996 World Series. I had plans with friends to hang out and watch that game (I was a Boston University student at the time) and I begged her to change it, or to have me take it earlier. She would not budge and I missed the game.. As it turns out, that game sucked for us Yankee fans, although the series turned out well of course. But I never forgave that professor for doing that to me..
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    They cancelled my daughter's basketball practice on Sunday because of the game, but the coach was pretty funny about it. Sorry about your niece but luckily my kids haven't been given too much grief about rooting for the Yanks or Giants, but there does seem to be a decent amount of NY fans where we live.

There definitely is a passion for the local teams up here and at times it can be annoying. I have several friends on Facebook on ignore this week because I'm tired of reading all of their crap about the Giants.

Sorry - I thought my point was obvious...we don't care that anything was moved - what we took offense to was that the Patriots are playing the "equally talented but EVIL NY Giants". Seriously? It's not cute in the slightest and it sends the wrong message...and it's why my niece was abused in school by both teachers and students because this is accepted up there. It's just dumb...

NYYF HOF

I actually didn't even notice the "evil" part. I wouldn't put that much stock into it (even if it were my own children). Unless your sister/niece are extremely religious and take offense to the evil stuff. It might just be a play on the whole "evil empire" crap that people up here do with the Yankees.

How old is your niece? She should be able to give it back as much as they give it to her. If the Giants win Sunday, she should have plenty of ammo to give these students/teachers.

NYYF Legend

Sorry - I thought my point was obvious...we don't care that anything was moved - what we took offense to was that the Patriots are playing the "equally talented but EVIL NY Giants". Seriously? It's not cute in the slightest and it sends the wrong message...and it's why my niece was abused in school by both teachers and students because this is accepted up there. It's just dumb...
    Embrace the dark side.

Seriously, when ever I got smack for being a fan of a particular team I gave back as good as I got. I really didn't care if it was teacher or fellow class mate. If you want to be a fan in enemy territory you have to be able to respond.

We will all go with one or the other.It all comes down to the Quarterbacks in my view.When Tom Brady is on it, is pretty much over.I will go with the odds and 3 points New England.

Your right revenge is a meal best served cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Embrace the dark side.

Seriously, when ever I got smack for being a fan of a particular team I gave back as good as I got. I really didn't care if it was teacher or fellow class mate. If you want to be a fan in enemy territory you have to be able to respond.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeayankeefan View Post
    We will all go with one or the other.It all comes down to the Quarterbacks in my view.When Tom Brady is on it, is pretty much over.I will go with the odds and 3 points New England.
    They need you on Munday Nite Fotball Mike Sticky.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    I actually didn't even notice the "evil" part. I wouldn't put that much stock into it (even if it were my own children). Unless your sister/niece are extremely religious and take offense to the evil stuff. It might just be a play on the whole "evil empire" crap that people up here do with the Yankees.

How old is your niece? She should be able to give it back as much as they give it to her. If the Giants win Sunday, she should have plenty of ammo to give these students/teachers.
    I hate to say it pj but you probably didn't notice it because you are used to seeing that crap over and over...

she's in college now but this happened in junior high and high school...my sister isn't super religius and wasn't offended in that sense but it's just tiring and old to have to have a comment about how "evil" NY and NY teams are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Embrace the dark side.

but my niece wasn't into it = especially getting it from teachers...and she wasn't even wearing the apparel - she might have something on it with NY on it...or she didn't wear RedSox/Patriots gear etc when the school was strongly encouraged to wear it ...it was ridiculous...I have experienced it myself up there where everyone needs to comment on everything if you are a NY'er..I see people with Boston hats all the time around here -- I don't feel the need to make comments to them....I guess because it's not cult-like here for one team in each sport ...I just thought that a church bulletin and using the word evil was even more ridiculous than usual...

but my niece wasn't into it = especially getting it from teachers...and she wasn't even wearing the apparel - she might have something on it with NY on it...or she didn't wear RedSox/Patriots gear etc when the school was strongly encouraged to wear it ...it was ridiculous...I have experienced it myself up there where everyone needs to comment on everything if you are a NY'er..I see people with Boston hats all the time around here -- I don't feel the need to make comments to them....I guess because it's not cult-like here for one team in each sport ...I just thought that a church bulletin and using the word evil was even more ridiculous than usual...
    The biggest difference I've noticed between Boston and New York fandom is the non-fans. In New York, if you don't give a crap about sports, you don't give a crap about sports. In New England, if you don't give a crap about sports, you still claim to be a life-long die-hard fan and give people crap for liking another team. To outsiders, it gives the impression of everyone being huge fans and Boston being this amazing sports town, but the longer you're here the easier it is to see through it. (to make it worse, they're all pretending to be huge fans of the same teams, whereas in New York, fandom is obviously divided).

Thread Information