+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

He's been pitching great again this season, so it's not that much of an issue, but his velocity is still way down...I thought it would rise with the warmer months setting in, but summer is now almost over and he's still almost 2mph below his career average on his FB

Again, it's not a cause for concern yet given his performance, but at what point do we start feeding him boxes of captain crunch again between starts to get that body weight momentum up?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    He's been pitching great again this season, so it's not that much of an issue, but his velocity is still way down...I thought it would rise with the warmer months setting in, but summer is now almost over and he's still almost 2mph below his career average on his FB

Again, it's not a cause for concern yet given his performance, but at what point do we start feeding him boxes of captain crunch again between starts to get that body weight momentum up?
    You're right, this is the first year of his career that his fastball hasn't averaged 93mph or above, currently standing at 92.3 which is 1.6mph lower than last year. And this shouldn't surprise us because, well, he's now 32 years old. Getting older doesn't help physical performance.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

A well placed FB is a very effective pitch - you don't necessarily have to blow people away with it. I guess between the weight loss and just getting older, CC could be expected to lose some velocity. As long as he's made the ajustments, I don't imagine I would be concerned. It could be a blessing in disguise in that it could prolong his career if he continues to evolve gradually.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

This is a little bit concerning. You are the ace, but at this point Id rather see Kuroda or Hughes, and possibly Pettitte start over you in the playoffs.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Cy Young

Not an ace

Quote Originally Posted by NYIndian2005 View Post
    Not an ace
    Not this stupidity again.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Not this stupidity again.
    I couldn't agree more. To imply that CC is not the Ace of the Yankee staff, as well as in MLB, is just plain ignoring the facts. He has had a terrible game today, nothing more nothing less.

fat man becomes skinny syndrome?
    always reasonable

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    fat man becomes skinny syndrome?
    Someone should alert CC that they now make cinnamon roll flavored Cap'n Crunch.

Totally serious. And it's awesome.

His location this year has just been pretty crappy. He makes so many mistakes in the zone.

I'd put Martin with Sabathia next couple starts. See what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    I'd put Martin with Sabathia next couple starts. See what happens
    As I recall, CC wants Stewart. So that's not happening.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

I am sick of watching this guy get beat like a drum every time he faces the Red Sox.

Got to pitch better big guy, otherwise, the Yankees goose is cooked come playoff time.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    As I recall, CC wants Stewart. So that's not happening.
    Is this really true? Im thinking it might be Stewart too.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Got to pitch better big guy, otherwise, the Yankees goose is cooked come playoff time.
    Fortunately, it is extremely doubtful that they will be facing the Red Sox in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Is this really true? Im thinking it might be Stewart too.
    I'd like for someone to give me some specifics on exactly what Stewart is doing to make CC underperform to the point where a catcher switch is necessary.

Folks, CC is what you might call a "second-tier ace." His consistently above-3.00 ERAs prove that. He is durable, reliable, but not particularly dominating. He's a marvelous asset to any pitching staff but he can't breathe at the altitudes that guys like Verlander and Weaver live at. Yes, I know how much money he makes. Paychecks don't make you throw harder or run faster, though.

Solid bellwether #1 but there are several out there who are better. This is well established. Not sure how changing catchers is going to change this.

Again, unless someone can give some specifics on what Stewart is doing wrong.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Fortunately, it is extremely doubtful that they will be facing the Red Sox in the playoffs.
    Agreed. Based on the lastg week I'm more concerned about the A's.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I miss the fat CC
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    This is a little bit concerning. You are the ace, but at this point Id rather see Kuroda or Hughes, and possibly Pettitte start over you in the playoffs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's exactly how I feel. I have little confidence in him at this point and no longer feel he is the Ace of the staff. Kuroda just has to get by the first inning and I think of him as the Ace of the staff. Sabathia has been too inconsistent and all that weight is going to take its toll on him sooner or later. After Kuroda, I'd prefer Pettitte then Hughes. David Phelps has looked mighty good in his last three outings.
    Is there anyone still crying that we didn't get Cliff Lee? LOL! Or Roy Halladay who's been demoted to Intern Halladay. I love it when the Phillies lose.
    [B]The Yankees have been blessed with great players over the years. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and now Mark Teixeira to name a few. [/B]

I agree with HelloNewman's description of C.C. as a Second Tier Ace. I see him as an Ace Grinder. He gives up a lot of hits, but usually not too many runs. Last night, Gonzalez put a serious hurt on him.

NYYF Cy Young

Personally I've always viewed him as a Level 2b sub-ace grinder with 1a ace scrub potential. But at this point you just have to accept him for what he is, and unfortunately thats not a level 50 premium efficient ace

Just his third start from dl with 2 months to go get back on track.
    I know he's having fb command issues since middle of last year but I think he's got tons left
    I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

If CC pitched in a different division or in the NL, he'd be dominant.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

If CC got to face the AL central or west in pitcher friendly parks as much as Weaver, Felix or Verlander did, his numbers would look far better.

Weav is a much different pitcher on the road and one player was recently quoted as saying that the only reason people struggle against him at home is because his hand comes out of a nasty background of rocks at Angels' Stadium. His home/road splits over the previous three years show a run and a half difference. Weaver's ERA in Fenway is over 7 and his NYS ERA is over 6. Now, this is only over four starts but it is hardly a glowing review.

Felix's road/road splits are much better and supports the notion that he's been one of the very best over the last few years. Verlander's splits also show a slightly more than a run in difference.

CC's splits are are pretty close (less than 0.2 different). Now I don't believe that CC is as good as either of these last two but he's left handed and in our stadium that is really important. These guys get to face more righties than he faces lefties and none of them have to worry about a short porch in such a relevant part of the park in which they regular
    pitch.

My gut tells me that the pitchers I've listed above would throw up similar numbers if they had to face the AL east as much as he does in band boxes such as Fenway, NYS, Camden Yards and Toronto. Felix has stated that he doesn't want to pitch in New York and Weaver chose to stay in Southern California without even testing the market - they both know what they have.

CC's ERA against the Red Sox was in the low 4s prior to this year over 13 starts. Not great i know but given his personality/character and his ability to handle the pressure and work load in this town - I don't think anyone can sit here and complain about our "ace".
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information