+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

I notice a difference from 21-22. I can't imagine my 30's.

NYYF Legend

Crafty lefty is a term made for crap qualitative journalists. Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Crafty lefty is a term made for crap qualitative journalists. Who cares
    I always thought the correct term was "crafty portsider."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

CC's problem is location starting the game. For some reason he just isn't sharp, like some have said in regards to his command. I've always thought CC gets stronger as the game goes on.

Maybe it's getting into the rythm or just a focus thing (hard to even say about that guy). I'm wondering if he just is going up there with a "strike-throwing get a couple quick outs" type of mentality to start the game giving the opponents too good of pitches.

Good news is, it's not like he has pitched horrible, just seems a bit off to start the game. I think the command thing will work itself out because he is CC.

He could be just spotting the other team a few runs to make it "fun".....

Oh, please keep talking about crafty lefties, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight unless someone truely provides me with a perfect explaination.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I notice a difference from 21-22. I can't imagine my 30's.
    Gotta work out, brah!

When I was 23 my real age was ~33. Now at 27 my real age is ~22.

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Gotta work out, brah!

This x1000000000000000000
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Gotta work out, brah!

A curious case indeed Mr Benjamin Button....
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    A curious case indeed Mr Benjamin Button....
    http://www.realage.com/

Pretty much this. I had someone at a gym do this when I signed up and recently. Same concept. MEtrics baYbAY!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    You obviously don't have a grasp on what a craft lefty is.

I don't think you have any idea of how crazy what you are saying sounds like.

You're calling a guy with who topped out at 94 mph in his last game in Atlanta a "crafty lefty" in a game where scouts and talent evaluaters don't call any lefty with a average fastball above 88 mph a crafty lefty.
    The term, though tied to pitchers like Jamie Moyer, also fits any LHP who relies on off-speed stuff to get batters out. BTW, CC's 92-94 mph fastballs are getting belted all over the place.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF MVP

Because CC is failing behind in the count.

CC's problem has been location, location, location.

It's baseball 101.

It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you're falling behind in the count to major league hitters.

Just look at Matt Moore with TB(who has picked it up of late) who pitched great today and lowered his ERA to 4.59

Matt Moore had almost a 5 ERA a couple of starts ago and he throws mid to high 90's with a average fastball of 94.4 to be exact.

Hitters were teeing off on Moore earlier in the season because he was falling behind in the count and major league hitters were sitting on his mid 90's fastball because of the high amounts of 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 counts....

And no you would be incorrect, crafty lefty is not used to describe pitchers throwing at the velocity CC Sabathia throws at no matter how many times you say it does or repeat it.

CC is actually throwing a significantly lower % of his pitches from behind (1-0 to 3-0, 3-1 and 2-1 counts) than career and 2009/2010 averages.

Like I said before, CC has never been a Picasso in terms of painting the strike zone. He's always reached back for that extra mph or two to blow hitters away when he got in trouble.

He doesn't seem to have that extra gear this year. Consequently, he's become more and more reliant on his offspeed pitches to get hitters out.

Addicted Member

brb giving CC some Cap'n Crunch to get dat dere velo back.

there was a flaw in CC's mechanics.
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...sees_flaw.html
    Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough~Larry David

NYYF Legend

This may be the best news I've heard in a while. Can't wait to see tonight's start!

NYYF Cy Young

Be interested to see if his velocity goes up a few mph.

He's gonna get on a roll and one or two guys on the staff are gonna start sucking. It happens. Always.

NYYF Legend

Stewart is catching CC again this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Because CC is failing behind in the count.

CC's problem has been location, location, location.

It's baseball 101.

It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you're falling behind in the count to major league hitters.

Just look at Matt Moore with TB(who has picked it up of late) who pitched great today and lowered his ERA to 4.59

Matt Moore had almost a 5 ERA a couple of starts ago and he throws mid to high 90's with a average fastball of 94.4 to be exact.

Hitters were teeing off on Moore earlier in the season because he was falling behind in the count and major league hitters were sitting on his mid 90's fastball because of the high amounts of 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 counts....

And no you would be incorrect, crafty lefty is not used to describe pitchers throwing at the velocity CC Sabathia throws at no matter how many times you say it does or repeat it.
    CC's been getting guys out on offspeed stuff regardless of what the count is. Check out his pitch values for yourself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...pfxpitchvalues
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Sabathia's career ERA and WHIP: 3.52, 1.23

Sabathia's 2012 ERA and WHIP: 3.55, 1.23

Great performance tonight.

NYYF Legend

Total domination. Of the 27 outs he recorded, 25 (!!) were in the infield: 13 grounders, 10 K's, and 2 pop-outs (the other two were fly-outs to CF).

Fun to watch when the Big Guy is on his game.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Damn I think this is the first time a player has told the media he found something wrong in his performance, implemented the correction and then proceeded to have success with the changes that were made.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Damn I think this is the first time a player has told the media he found something wrong in his performance, implemented the correction and then proceeded to have success with the changes that were made.
    I didn't hear or read his explanation. Would you mind expanding on that thought.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Sabathia's career ERA and WHIP: 3.52, 1.23

Sabathia's 2012 ERA and WHIP: 3.55, 1.23

Great performance tonight.
    He hasn't been above 3.37 for a full season since 2005 though (when he was 24 and hitters seem to have had more power for some reason)
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I didn't hear or read his explanation. Would you mind expanding on that thought.
    Metal 165 posted this link earlier today (see post 213 above)
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...sees_flaw.html

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    He hasn't been above 3.37 for a full season since 2005 though (when he was 24 and hitters seem to have had more power for some reason)
    To add CC admittedly says in those early years in Cleveland he was less of a pitcher and would try to throw harder when he got in trouble and would occasionally get hit hard because of it even though he would be hitting 97 and 98 mph those early years.

As shown in the mediocre numbers pre 2005 you mentioned where the stuff was ridiculous but the numbers reflected a guy that still didn't learn to pitch because his numbers didn't reflect his amazing stuff.

Thread Information