+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 696
  1. #201

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    I notice a difference from 21-22. I can't imagine my 30's.

  2. #202
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Crafty lefty is a term made for crap qualitative journalists. Who cares

  3. #203
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Crafty lefty is a term made for crap qualitative journalists. Who cares
    I always thought the correct term was "crafty portsider."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  4. #204

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    CC's problem is location starting the game. For some reason he just isn't sharp, like some have said in regards to his command. I've always thought CC gets stronger as the game goes on.

    Maybe it's getting into the rythm or just a focus thing (hard to even say about that guy). I'm wondering if he just is going up there with a "strike-throwing get a couple quick outs" type of mentality to start the game giving the opponents too good of pitches.

    Good news is, it's not like he has pitched horrible, just seems a bit off to start the game. I think the command thing will work itself out because he is CC.

    He could be just spotting the other team a few runs to make it "fun".....

    Oh, please keep talking about crafty lefties, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight unless someone truely provides me with a perfect explaination.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  5. #205

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I notice a difference from 21-22. I can't imagine my 30's.
    Gotta work out, brah!

    When I was 23 my real age was ~33. Now at 27 my real age is ~22.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  6. #206
    Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Gotta work out, brah!

    When I was 23 my real age was ~33. Now at 27 my real age is ~22.
    This x1000000000000000000
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

  7. #207

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Gotta work out, brah!

    When I was 23 my real age was ~33. Now at 27 my real age is ~22.
    A curious case indeed Mr Benjamin Button....
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  8. #208

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    A curious case indeed Mr Benjamin Button....
    http://www.realage.com/

    Pretty much this. I had someone at a gym do this when I signed up and recently. Same concept. MEtrics baYbAY!
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  9. #209

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    You obviously don't have a grasp on what a craft lefty is.

    I don't think you have any idea of how crazy what you are saying sounds like.

    You're calling a guy with who topped out at 94 mph in his last game in Atlanta a "crafty lefty" in a game where scouts and talent evaluaters don't call any lefty with a average fastball above 88 mph a crafty lefty.
    The term, though tied to pitchers like Jamie Moyer, also fits any LHP who relies on off-speed stuff to get batters out. BTW, CC's 92-94 mph fastballs are getting belted all over the place.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  10. #210
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Because CC is failing behind in the count.

    CC's problem has been location, location, location.

    It's baseball 101.

    It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you're falling behind in the count to major league hitters.

    Just look at Matt Moore with TB(who has picked it up of late) who pitched great today and lowered his ERA to 4.59

    Matt Moore had almost a 5 ERA a couple of starts ago and he throws mid to high 90's with a average fastball of 94.4 to be exact.

    Hitters were teeing off on Moore earlier in the season because he was falling behind in the count and major league hitters were sitting on his mid 90's fastball because of the high amounts of 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 counts....

    And no you would be incorrect, crafty lefty is not used to describe pitchers throwing at the velocity CC Sabathia throws at no matter how many times you say it does or repeat it.

  11. #211

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    CC is actually throwing a significantly lower % of his pitches from behind (1-0 to 3-0, 3-1 and 2-1 counts) than career and 2009/2010 averages.

    Like I said before, CC has never been a Picasso in terms of painting the strike zone. He's always reached back for that extra mph or two to blow hitters away when he got in trouble.

    He doesn't seem to have that extra gear this year. Consequently, he's become more and more reliant on his offspeed pitches to get hitters out.

  12. #212
    Addicted Member
    Petey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    brb giving CC some Cap'n Crunch to get dat dere velo back.

  13. #213
    Member
    Metal 165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    there was a flaw in CC's mechanics.
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...sees_flaw.html
    Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough~Larry David

  14. #214
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    This may be the best news I've heard in a while. Can't wait to see tonight's start!

  15. #215
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philly Burbs

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Be interested to see if his velocity goes up a few mph.

  16. #216
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    He's gonna get on a roll and one or two guys on the staff are gonna start sucking. It happens. Always.

  17. #217
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Stewart is catching CC again this evening.

  18. #218

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    Because CC is failing behind in the count.

    CC's problem has been location, location, location.

    It's baseball 101.

    It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you're falling behind in the count to major league hitters.

    Just look at Matt Moore with TB(who has picked it up of late) who pitched great today and lowered his ERA to 4.59

    Matt Moore had almost a 5 ERA a couple of starts ago and he throws mid to high 90's with a average fastball of 94.4 to be exact.

    Hitters were teeing off on Moore earlier in the season because he was falling behind in the count and major league hitters were sitting on his mid 90's fastball because of the high amounts of 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 counts....

    And no you would be incorrect, crafty lefty is not used to describe pitchers throwing at the velocity CC Sabathia throws at no matter how many times you say it does or repeat it.
    CC's been getting guys out on offspeed stuff regardless of what the count is. Check out his pitch values for yourself.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...pfxpitchvalues
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  19. #219
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Sabathia's career ERA and WHIP: 3.52, 1.23

    Sabathia's 2012 ERA and WHIP: 3.55, 1.23

    Great performance tonight.

  20. #220
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Total domination. Of the 27 outs he recorded, 25 (!!) were in the infield: 13 grounders, 10 K's, and 2 pop-outs (the other two were fly-outs to CF).

    Fun to watch when the Big Guy is on his game.

  21. #221
    NYYF Legend

    Sam18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Damn I think this is the first time a player has told the media he found something wrong in his performance, implemented the correction and then proceeded to have success with the changes that were made.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

  22. #222

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Damn I think this is the first time a player has told the media he found something wrong in his performance, implemented the correction and then proceeded to have success with the changes that were made.
    I didn't hear or read his explanation. Would you mind expanding on that thought.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  23. #223
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Sabathia's career ERA and WHIP: 3.52, 1.23

    Sabathia's 2012 ERA and WHIP: 3.55, 1.23

    Great performance tonight.
    He hasn't been above 3.37 for a full season since 2005 though (when he was 24 and hitters seem to have had more power for some reason)
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  24. #224
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I didn't hear or read his explanation. Would you mind expanding on that thought.
    Metal 165 posted this link earlier today (see post 213 above)
    http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...sees_flaw.html

  25. #225
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 CC Sabathia performance thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    He hasn't been above 3.37 for a full season since 2005 though (when he was 24 and hitters seem to have had more power for some reason)
    To add CC admittedly says in those early years in Cleveland he was less of a pitcher and would try to throw harder when he got in trouble and would occasionally get hit hard because of it even though he would be hitting 97 and 98 mph those early years.

    As shown in the mediocre numbers pre 2005 you mentioned where the stuff was ridiculous but the numbers reflected a guy that still didn't learn to pitch because his numbers didn't reflect his amazing stuff.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts