+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Hiroki Kuroda performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    He's looked good all spring. Under the radar.
    Absolutely. I've been away from here for a while, so let me say this was my favorite move of the offseason. I absolutely love the Pineda deal too, but this Kiroda deal went under the radar and I think he's going to be really good ...

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    Absolutely. I've been away from here for a while, so let me say this was my favorite move of the offseason. I absolutely love the Pineda deal too, but this Kiroda deal went under the radar and I think he's going to be really good ...
    It's really amazing that a guy who signed as an FA and might start the second game of the year is getting so little attention.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

I have a gut feeling he will have a better season than another Japanese pitcher.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I have a gut feeling he will have a better season than another Japanese pitcher.
    Well, DiceK is coming off a (yet another) injury.

Meanwhile Mike Maddux can't stop grinning every time he talks about Yu Darvish.

The ball is just exploding out of his hands. He's throwing a 95mph pitch some Rangers announcers are calling a slider but it's really more of a cutter with just horizontal action. He also throws a tighter nearly 6-12 slider that clocks in the high 80s to low 90s. And a 60mph near true 6-12 curve that, according to Michael Young, comes out of his hand with the same action as his fastball.

His stuff is just positively drool inducing.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Does anyone have a side with spring training stats for everyone?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

mlb.com ? Or you looking for something better?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    mlb.com ? Or you looking for something better?
    Something better, but that will do for now. Thanks.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Well, DiceK is coming off a (yet another) injury.

Meanwhile Mike Maddux can't stop grinning every time he talks about Yu Darvish.

The ball is just exploding out of his hands. He's throwing a 95mph pitch some Rangers announcers are calling a slider but it's really more of a cutter with just horizontal action. He also throws a tighter nearly 6-12 slider that clocks in the high 80s to low 90s. And a 60mph near true 6-12 curve that, according to Michael Young, comes out of his hand with the same action as his fastball.

His stuff is just positively drool inducing.
    6-12? You in Australia or something?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

6-12? You in Australia or something?
    No Darvish has an awesome rise ball in his arsanel. Hadn't you heard?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No Darvish has an awesome rise ball in his arsanel. Hadn't you heard?
    This is why Texas plans on using him in their wiffleball rotation, rather than with the big league team.

it actually goes clockwise from 6 to 12 as it makes its way to the plate.
    always reasonable

2 years on. I still don't understand half the things awy says.

God I love this signing. If he's healthy, he's going to be great for us.

Kuroda scares me. Last season he gave up a career high 24 HR's in LA. I am hoping that number doesn't increase since he is now pitching in Yankee Stadium. However, Kuroda is coming off of a 3.07 ERA which is a career best. I'm pulling for him and I hope he can be a crucial impact to our rotation.

I think this was a very good acquisition. I'm not too concerned with his increased HR's from a year ago. Yes, he will likely give up in the neighborhood of 20 HR due to Yankee Staduim and the DH. Overall, he will provide stability and consistency while scratching and clawing his way through about 200 innings.

Addicted Member

The kuroda deal did indeed fly under the radar, however i feel like the pineda trade was just unnecessary. Ok for one second let's just say pineda did stay healthy this spring, It was still a very tight toss up on who was going to fill the last couple spots in the rotation. Obviously that decision was made for us, but if the competition was so close anyway why wouldn't we just give freddy the nod, thus keeping one of our best prospects in montero.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

2 years on. I still don't understand half the things awy says.
    Maybe get an analog clock.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    The kuroda deal did indeed fly under the radar, however i feel like the pineda trade was just unnecessary. Ok for one second let's just say pineda did stay healthy this spring, It was still a very tight toss up on who was going to fill the last couple spots in the rotation. Obviously that decision was made for us, but if the competition was so close anyway why wouldn't we just give freddy the nod, thus keeping one of our best prospects in montero.
    Because the trade wasn't just about 2012, and Kuroda and Garcia are not going to be on this team for the long term. The Yankees gave up their best prospect, but got someone who may have more value long term
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Erik Boland@eboland11 West Coast scout on Kuroda transition to AL: "Don't worry about him. Guy can f'ing pitch."

NYYF MVP

Hiroki Kuroda will make his final spring start tonight. Of all Japanese-born pitchers with at least 12 big league starts, Kuroda has the lowest career ERA at 3.45.
    Guy seems to me like the pitching version of Hideki Matsui in his time with the Yankees get's the job done at high level as well as being the ultimate pro.

I'm not worried about Kuroda. He's learning the league and the umpires. Maintained his velo to the end. He'll be fine.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

0 FB command
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I think he'll be better than he was tonight, but I don't think he's a #2 starter in the AL East.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I'm not worried about Kuroda. He's learning the league and the umpires. Maintained his velo to the end. He'll be fine.
    But his command was not there and when his pitches were up, as they were often, he gave up numerous hard hit balls. Though it was only one start and hopefully he'll be much better as the season moves along.

I didn't see the game but was following on my phone (including Twitter of all things) and what I was reading -- and hearing on the radio post-game -- is that hitters go up there first-pitch swinging against Kuroda, and the Rays did that to devastating effect tonight. If Jack Curry and John Sterling can figure it out, it would be nice if Kuroda and the coaching staff could too.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information