+ Reply to Thread
Page 110 of 111 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 107 108 109 110 111 LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2768

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

whatever. it's a very plausible criticism.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    Plausible =/= factual.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Pineda had a one-time incident. Not saying it's not a serious one, but I'm not quite ready to throw him in the same category as Steve Howe or Josh Hamilton.

Who's to say he wasn't depressed over his arm injury and tied-on one too many?
    23 year olds are known to make mistakes that they'll learn from...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

i'm not throwing anyone under the category of josh hamilton. just sayin, it reflects badly on pineda and the org's handling of rehab players and support for young players.

remember i only posted to address some of the handwaving that, to me, is representative of the reflexive defense of everything that goes on. nobody is saying cashman etc who are in charge are rly dumb and should all be fired. it's just a very bad result that at the very least points to a need for reexamination.

the amount of resources that is needed to implement a ban on the worst kind of alcohol abuse is pretty small compared to how much these guys are worth.
    always reasonable

i'm not throwing anyone under the category of josh hamilton. just sayin, it reflects badly on pineda and the org's handling of rehab players and support for young players.

remember i only posted to address some of the handwaving that, to me, is representative of the reflexive defense of everything that goes on. nobody is saying cashman etc who are in charge are rly dumb and should all be fired. it's just a very bad result that at the very least points to a need for reexamination.

the amount of resources that is needed to implement a ban on the worst kind of alcohol abuse is pretty small compared to how much these guys are worth.
    This is where you kind of lose it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

not rly. hamilton did stuff that is far worse and the context of pineda's episode is more damaging with respect to that particular incident
    always reasonable

Where was all this when Joba was arrested or when he broke his ankle?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

joba has his own house and he is an american culturally acclimated. it's not so easy to provide the kind of support structure that he probably still needs. there are legit operational limits on joba.

pineda is a recent immigrant getting a hang of life and he presumably is staying with the yankees tampa facilities. there is more thing you can do with pineda.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

I gotta say, I didn't imagine awy being the type of poster that would be so against this behavior.

joba has his own house and he is an american culturally acclimated. it's not so easy to provide the kind of support structure that he probably still needs. there are legit operational limits on joba.

pineda is a recent immigrant getting a hang of life and he presumably is staying with the yankees tampa facilities. there is more thing you can do with pineda.
    He's not an indentured servant.

The fact that he drank one night is no evidence of 'the worst kind of alcohol abuse' or whatever else you're suggesting. You know nothing about his work ethic or his rehab regimen or his training schedule or what he is or isn't allowed to do on his off days.

You're basing your entire, often ridiculously exaggerated argument on what could very well be an isolated incident. And even if it isn't--maybe he goes out drinking between starts or whatever-- so what? He's not in the running for sainthood-- he's a pitcher. He certainly wouldn't be the first or last to drink.

How about we wait and see how he, you know, pitches before writing him off?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

We've all made dumb decisions in our lives. To put Pineda in one category or another based off of one incident is ridiculous. I have some friends who once in a blue moon drive after drinking, but aside from that they are incredibly responsible at work and everything else they do in life.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    We've all made dumb decisions in our lives. To put Pineda in one category or another based off of one incident is ridiculous. I have some friends who once in a blue moon drive after drinking, but aside from that they are incredibly responsible at work and everything else they do in life.
    Apparently your friends' bosses at work should be fired.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

what type of support - specifically - prevents drinking to a 1.2 BAC and also prevents DUI's, and how do you know what the folks associated with his rehab are or aren't doing?

No one is hand waving or defending Pineda's decision to drink and drive. You're just making inferences that are not based in anything other than your mind. He may be a raging alcoholic for all we know, but to say that this is more than an isolated incident isn't supported by any evidence. And to say the Yankee Money simply magically prevents a player from drinking is tenuous.

um, how can you be all honky dory about pineda given what has happened to him. my position, as it always is, is reasonable.

you cna be a cheerleader all you want and that's fine. but it's also pretty unproductive. there is a real problem here that the yankees has already moved to address. the range of denials on the topic is just ridiculous
    Isnt this temp bannable if you were a mod?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Isnt this temp bannable if you were a mod?
    doubt it bros, it's just a saying.

what's wrong with honky. /brb urbandictionary
    always reasonable

I'm now convinced that I've fallen for an elaborate troll. 10/10. You've russelled my jimmies.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Silky Johnston: Nice whip. This here is a pistol. Reach for the sky, honky!
    Slave: Honky? HONKY?
    Silky Johnston: "Honky" is a racial epithet used for white people. It was made popular by a man named George Jefferson in the 1970s. You see, he and his wife, Weezie, owned a dry-cleaning business, so they moved on up to the east side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky. They finally got a piece of the pie. Convoluted story I'll admit, but the point is this... that in the future, all black people will be FREE!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Chappelle%27s_Show
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    what type of support - specifically - prevents drinking to a 1.2 BAC and also prevents DUI's, and how do you know what the folks associated with his rehab are or aren't doing?

No one is hand waving or defending Pineda's decision to drink and drive. You're just making inferences that are not based in anything other than your mind. He may be a raging alcoholic for all we know, but to say that this is more than an isolated incident isn't supported by any evidence. And to say the Yankee Money simply magically prevents a player from drinking is tenuous.
    Certain death, mostly.

BAC (% by vol.) Behavior Impairment

• General lack of behavior
    • Unconsciousness
    >0.50
    • High risk of poisoning
    • Possibility of death
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Certain death, mostly.

BAC (% by vol.) Behavior Impairment

• General lack of behavior
    • Unconsciousness
    >0.50
    • High risk of poisoning
    • Possibility of death
    Oops. Yeah, off by a few decimal points I was.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Yeah, .10-.12 is my general guideline for feeling it. .12-.15 is a little drunk. .15-.20 is drunk. .20-.25 is sloppy drunk. After that is passed out/throwing up, etc. Results vary with tolerance, but that's my highly scientific measuring stick after watching a dozen zillion DWIs.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Honky is a racial slur. Your expression is hunky dory, but you already knew that.

ummmm okayyy i'll take your word on it, gentle earthling
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Silky Johnston: Nice whip. This here is a pistol. Reach for the sky, honky!
    Slave: Honky? HONKY?
    Silky Johnston: "Honky" is a racial epithet used for white people. It was made popular by a man named George Jefferson in the 1970s. You see, he and his wife, Weezie, owned a dry-cleaning business, so they moved on up to the east side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky. They finally got a piece of the pie. Convoluted story I'll admit, but the point is this... that in the future, all black people will be FREE!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Chappelle%27s_Show
    Apparently awy is a time hater and has traveled all the way back in time to call us crackers.

i found modern usage of the word. i think it's okay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...KxxN_IE#t=455s
    always reasonable

Thread Information