+ Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 111 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2768

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    that's pretty straightforward. want me to math it for you?
    not when each consecutive drink is clouding your judgment.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

you must be a lightweight
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    A. How is workout being defined?
    B. How much is "enough alcohol"?
    C. Cartilage and muscles don't repair in the same manner, do they?
    A. He needs to strengthen any and all muscles around the shoulder joint and keep his legs powerful and strong to maintain (or prevent decrease in) velocity. This is the work most affected by alcohol. He is also likely doing range of motion and flexibility work that would be effected indirectly by the compromised super compensation

B. Depends on the person. I'm pretty sure enough to be legally intoxicated is universally enough though

C. No, but I imagine its near impossible to perform this surgery without moving, ripping, or tearing muscle tissue, so the cartilage is not the only issue.

you must be a lightweight
    I take a prescription that is a hyper-stimulant. Alcohol is a depressant. I rarely ever get mentally drunk.

what side effects
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I take a prescription that is a hyper-stimulant. Alcohol is a depressant. I rarely ever get mentally drunk.
    That sounds like a good idea. One balances out the other.

what side effects
    ~ lol ~
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Maybe it's time the Mods changed the title of this thread to "SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Drunk 3.0" ... there is very little in it that actually pertains to the performance of Michael Pineda.

Coming into his first camp as a NY Yankee looking like a slob was disgraceful and irresponsible. That, the DUI, the injury (which just might be related to his being out of shape and trying to compensate for lost velocity), the possible career-changing/ending surgery and the player he was traded for makes this trade one hell of a nightmare for Yankee fans.

Based on his actions and seemingly don't give a f*ck nature, does anyone really have confidence that he'll get it together; that he'll suddenly mature? That's not to mention the odds against him being the pitcher that he once was.

He doesn't look like a slob. You're ridiculous.

Yeah he came into camp looking like a stud.

i highly disapprove of arodera's attitude towards pineda. he needs more supervision, sure, but that does not mean he's a slob.

his attitude towards DR players is, if i am a mod, temp bannable.
    always reasonable

i highly disapprove of arodera's attitude towards pineda. he needs more supervision, sure, but that does not mean he's a slob.

It's not his fault. He posted after having a couple of drinks and since he doesn't weigh much he didn't have as many chances to say no.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

mmmk.
    always reasonable

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    So do I and FYI you do. Your decision making and whatnot are equally impaired. You don't get the slowing down, passing out, falling over stuff because your brain and heart rate are up.

Be careful, you can get alcohol poisoning very easily because you feel fine and your body's response of shutting YOU down so it can focus on getting alcohol out of your system isn't there. It's working super overtime. And the backstop of "passing out and throwing up before I kill myself" isn't there.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Coming into his first camp as a NY Yankee looking like a slob was disgraceful and irresponsible.
    i agree 100%..

he was horribly out of shape.
    Kyle

the amount of alcohol isn't the big issue unless it's very high. here's the police:

"Pineda, 23, "had a fixed gaze and his eyes were bloodshot, watery and glassy," a Tampa police officer wrote after pulling the 23-year-old hurler over at 2:35 a.m. on North Dale Mabry Highway."

sounds very healthy

but still, the alcohol level was high:

"Pineda's blood alcohol rate was calculated as high as .128, which is above Florida's .08 legal limit."

he was drunk enough to be driving without his headlights at 2 am so you can take that for what it's worth

I've both prosecuted and defended DWIs. I know this is old, but I'd like to chime in here.

First, the gaze, bloodshot eyes, glassy look, etc are terms officers ALWAYS throw in the police report so if it comes back, they can say they had probable cause. They're "off the record" taught to put that in every police report. They used to write "slurred speech" in there too, but with cameras recording, it made jurors question the officer when the speech wasn't slurred. Please don't take this to mean anything.

0.12 is basically a good buzz. Your buddies and you drinking by the pool, building a deck, fixing a car, etc. It's certainly more than nothing. I seriously doubt anyone could talk and interact with people at .08 (unless they drink very very rarely) and even know they were drunk. Even field sobriety tests having you do weird circus acts are virtually useless at .08. They are, on a whole, about 80-90% accurate when done PERFECTLY, in a vacuum, with people who aren't nervous. This includes people stone cold sober and falling over drunk (the easiest to distinguish). When it gets to people between .06 and .10, even doing fine motor skills and balance testing can't distinguish them with much accuracy- maybe 60-70% blind guess of over .08 or not if I had to guess. Keep in mind, flipping a coin (or blind guessing yes/no) would be 50% accurate.

But driving doesn't have the physical demands of these field sobriety tests. You're probably using 5% of your "physical abilities." So who really cares if you're 10% "impaired." I wouldn't have a single beer when doing what I do in my avatar. I bet one beer can seriously hurt a person's performance when hitting a 95mph round ball with an 8" break spinning a zillion rpm with a round stick. When you're at the limit, using 100% of your physical and mental abilities, yeah, .08 is really bad. Driving is basically a passive activity. It just requires attention- and I'd venture go guess it has about 25% of the GOOD driver's attention. (When racing the bike, I don't think about anything else. In fact, I don't really remember a lot of my sessions because you're "doing" not "thinking"). People are relaxed, thinking of other stuff, singing along, talking, etc when driving.

.08 is not what is actually (using TRUTHFUL) stats enough to justify criminal activity. Talking on the phone, texting, being sick, being tired, being angry, driving a poorly maintained vehicle, etc are all just about as dangerous as .08 (or worse, as in phone use). Speeding is certainly worse (some of these are technically crimes, but they're tickets). I would have zero problem driving on a road full of .10 drivers. At all. I'd much rather that than sick/angry/distracted/tired drivers. It's a number created by the ruthless people at MADD, who are an incredibly powerful lobbying group pushing for horrible laws.

Blood tests, when done right, are pretty spot on accurate. Breath tests, especially for athletes, bigger people, etc, are very inaccurate. Given that he's a lifelong athlete, he's most likely going to show up higher on a breath test than he actually is.

Driving without headlights on- meh. In well lit cities, you wouldn't even notice it as a driver. Very easy to do, especially if you're not familiar with the car.

Cliff Notes: In the end, I think it's fair to assume he was a reasonably, by common sense standards, not legal standards, responsible guy, was feeling fine and safe to drive and he almost certainly was just fine to drive, by common sense standards.

He had a few drinks, but was far from binge drinking or even drunk.

but he was on a highway with no headlights
    always reasonable

I got pulled over once when I was 18 for driving without my headlights on-- I had pulled the headlight thingy out but only enough for the driving lights. It was inexperience on my part. I didn't know my headlights weren't on because the road was well lit. Had I been on a poorly lit backroad, I probably would have noticed immediately.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Driving without headlights on- meh. In well lit cities, you wouldn't even notice it as a driver. Very easy to do, especially if you're not familiar with the car.
    And?

I've done it plenty of times when driving other people's cars (all mine have had automatic lights). So have others. Streets are very well lit these days. I doubt you'd even notice it on most roads. I drove home a few weeks ago with only my fog lights on (stupid valet always turns them off, even if they're automatic) and didn't notice it until I was halfway home.

It's like the "OMG! DRIVING THE WRONG WAY DOWN A 1 WAY STREET!"

Super easy to do in a city you're not familiar with. It happens a lot.

NYYF Legend

I've often thought there should be a universally recognized hand signal so pedestrians (in cities) could let drivers know their lights aren't on. I often see them and can't think of anything better to do than frantically point and mouth "Lights!"

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I've often thought there should be a universally recognized hand signal so pedestrians (in cities) could let drivers know their lights aren't on. I often see them and can't think of anything better to do than frantically point and mouth "Lights!"
    Usually oncoming cars will flash their headlights.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

taken together these factors paint a convincing case that he was very drunk.
    always reasonable

All the facts? Which ones are those? That his lights weren't on?

His breath test results, even if accurate, indicate he was, at best, buzzed. Very drunk? The facts clearly point out he was NOT very drunk.

What? I think he was harsh, but not really all that surprising since Pineda a) cost a prized prospect to acquire, b) made his first impression on this fan base by showing up out of shape and c) had a shoulder injury before throwing a regular season pitch for the team.

That's grounds for some frustration. I am not handling my frustration in the same manner, and you might not either... but what the heck gives you the idea that this has ANYTHING to do with race? I'd bet some money that if you go back to the Hughes threads, or the Joba threads, ArodEra called those guys fat slobs when they came into camp in similar shape. I think the race baiting might be temp bannable, but calling for a ban on someone for calling someone a slob when in fact they were out of shape is pretty ridiculous.

Thread Information