+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2768

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

it's one of the more devastating injuries for a pitcher. but there's a good chance that he'll still come back.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

i just want him to pitch so that i can refer to michael penisda every 5 days
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    this is from cashman:

“We’re not going to downplay the significance of this injury, but there is a high success rate coming back from this particular surgery. If we weren’t dealing with this, it would be a certainly better situation. It could be worse if it involved a rotator cuff. But it’s certainly not a good situation.”

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...t-rehab-outing

that sounds far from "devastating," as you put it... as others have pointed out, there have been a number of pitcher who had the same procedure and went on to have very productive careers, and then there have been players who haven't... in the end, there's nothing inherently career-threatening about the injury itself, but it could become that way if the player doesn't properly go about the recovery process
    I say devastating, because it is. (if you prefer "very serious", all good) He missed a year, now they say he may miss another. Further, yes - several pitchers have come back and been productive. However, many many more have not. I also am sure that for the many who have not - they busted their ass trying to get back, it just was not to be.

Hopefully, Pineda recovers fully.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I say devastating, because it is. (if you prefer "very serious", all good) He missed a year, now they say he may miss another. Further, yes - several pitchers have come back and been productive. However, many many more have not. I also am sure that for the many who have not - they busted their ass trying to get back, it just was not to be.

Hopefully, Pineda recovers fully.
    rothchild is saying not to expect him for 2013, as in to temper our expectations for him... he wasn't saying anything physical would cause him to miss another year

holding him back until june probably has more to do with the weather warming up in NY before they bring him out of tampa and also delaying his arbitration clock... and even then, who knows how he'll perform? so in that regard, it's right to not expect much from him next year
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Seems like the right strategy from a personnel standpoint.
    Agreed. They would be wise to just assume Pineda will not be part of the 2013 rotation.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    a dui is ................ing dangerous and he was out at 2 am while drunk. it's not like he went to a friend's nice social party and just happened to get drunk.
    Being over the legal limit isn't particularly hard. There's a difference between legally driving drunk and what the rest of the rational world would consider a punishable offense.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

the amount of alcohol isn't the big issue unless it's very high. here's the police:

"Pineda, 23, "had a fixed gaze and his eyes were bloodshot, watery and glassy," a Tampa police officer wrote after pulling the 23-year-old hurler over at 2:35 a.m. on North Dale Mabry Highway."

sounds very healthy

but still, the alcohol level was high:

"Pineda's blood alcohol rate was calculated as high as .128, which is above Florida's .08 legal limit."

he was drunk enough to be driving without his headlights at 2 am so you can take that for what it's worth
    always reasonable

Truth is this whole DUI thing is being overblown. Maybe one can argue that it is a glimpse into his character, but damn, Grover Cleveland Alexander was a drunk, Hack Wilson, and a bunch of other guys some of whom were Hall of Famers were too. What is relevant is that Pineda has to overcome an injury that has nothing like the guarantee associated with a TJS recovery. No one knows what to expect right now. It's time to put this thread to bed until we see Michael Pineda pitch again. If he ever does in a real game is the biggest question right now.

That DUI did terrible things to Miggy's career.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    That DUI did terrible things to Miggy's career.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

pretty funny for a post that completely misses the point
    always reasonable

pretty funny for a post that completely misses the point
    the point you're trying to make is actually REALLY dumb and relies on A LOT of assumptions.

you are dumb if you think that. the dui was a serious incident for a rehabbing player off of a serious injury and it probably was a spark to reforming the system down there.

it is not a case for panic or whatever nonsense you might associate any criticism of the org.
    always reasonable

What is dumb is your assumption that he isn't taking his rehab seriously because of a DUI.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    What is dumb is your assumption that he isn't taking his rehab seriously because of a DUI.
    Yeah, but there's a difference between getting pulled over in a spot check after a few glasses of wine at dinner at 8:00PM and driving around without headlights and sh?t-faced at 2:00AM.

I know baseball has a long history of drunks and in and of itself it doesn't mean a guy can't play (like Cabrera). But come on. He's a Yankee in Tampa on a rehab assignment. He should at least have the common sense to arrange for a car to pick him up, which I'm sure the Yankees would gladly pay for.

We all (or at least most of us) acknowledge that part of what make Jeter and Rivera great is their ability to stay this long as Yankees, to stay out of trouble and do things the right way. We can't have it both ways then when this guy comes into camp out of shape, hurts his arm, goes on a rehab assignment and then is picked up way over the legal limit in the middle of the night leaving a strip joint.

Not saying others haven't done it and if you took my worst moment, I could have been found in the same type of predicament...but it's not a good sign for the long range future of this guy.

snapple you are acting very uncute
    always reasonable

you are dumb if you think that. the dui was a serious incident for a rehabbing player off of a serious injury and it probably was a spark to reforming the system down there.
    Pleasantly surprised that you see it this way. I agree 100%.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

snapple you are acting very uncute
    I just don't think they correlate at all. There is a very small chance that they actually do correlate.

very small chance that out drunk without headlights while at 2 am a few months after career changing surgery is indicative of possible lack of responsible behavior?
    always reasonable

very small chance that out drunk without headlights while at 2 am a few months after career changing surgery is indicative of possible lack of responsible behavior?
    It's obviously irresponsible behavior, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's indicative of how his rehab is going.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

if your very valuable pitcher went and did that you'd do something about it. evidently yankees did a lot
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's obviously irresponsible behavior, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's indicative of how his rehab is going.
    it may not be indicative of how the rehab is actually going (no one really knows except the yankees), but it might shed at least a little bit of light on what his attitude/approach to the rehab is
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

It's actually proof of irresponsible behavior. But not proof that he's slacking on his rehab.

if your very valuable pitcher went and did that you'd do something about it. evidently yankees did a lot
    I haven't heard anything-- what did they do?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

whoever in charge of him was pretty nervous after that. they replaced teh tampa regime. maybe not because of this incident but yea
    always reasonable

Thread Information