+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 111 FirstFirst ... 48 88 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2768

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i don't care about the dui. he just doesn't seem to be leading a very disciplined life at a critical juncture of his career. jesus ................ing christ

Well said. It goes beyond the DUI.

i don't care about the dui. he just doesn't seem to be leading a very disciplined life at a critical juncture of his career. jesus ................ing christ
    Was there another incident besides the DWI? I don't remember anything else.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

I think he was referring to the first impression he gave his new team coming into camp out of shape. That was not tragic, though it did say something about his work ethic and his caring. But, combined with the DUI, it might be telling. Might.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I think he was referring to the first impression he gave his new team coming into camp out of shape. That was not tragic, though it did say something about his work ethic and caring. But, combined with the DUI, it might be telling. Might.
    Oh, right. Thanks.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

I always separate on-field performance and off-field issue. And I want to see how he actually pitches for the Yankees before making any judgement on his work ethic.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Having a drink isn't an issue, but what are the odds that those were the only drinks he's had before getting behind the wheel? He's in Tampa for a specific purpose, not to party hardy.

Look, I'm not expecting him to be a saint, but he got off on a terribly wrong foot and he cost the Yanks a year of his service (though probably not his fault) not to mention that the Yanks traded their top prospect to get him. He owes the Yankee more than what he's shown thus far - coming into camp looking like a slob and driving while intoxicated while rehabbing his shoulder after surgery. Anyone with half a brain and a semblance of responsibility would be a better soldier given the circumstances, regardless of the % of work he's put into getting back to form. But, based on what we've seen thus far from him, something tells me he's not exactly a hard worker.

No, but I have links showing just how irresponsible he is.
    I get the larger point that he's been a disappointment for all these reasons... I just think it's a reach to state as if it's a fact that the DUI automatically means he's not taking his rehab seriously, and that he's down in Tampa partying non-stop and not working hard. Clearly he didn't take his offseason all that seriously, and clearly the DUI is a d*ck move, but I haven't seen anything supporting your train of thought. To be fair, I haven't seen anything to disprove it either, which is why I asked if you had a link.

In reality the DUI is inexcusable whether he came to camp in shape or not.

guy's overweight coming into camp and out of shape, directly setting up his injury.
    always reasonable

i guess a big medical rehab also means you can drink and stay up late at night partying. okay
    always reasonable

guy's overweight coming into camp and out of shape, directly setting up his injury.
    You sure about that? Clearly he was flabby, but that caused his shoulder injury? I honestly don't know, but do you have any evidence that of that "directly setting up his injury"?

i guess a big medical rehab also means you can drink and stay up late at night partying. okay
    So they guy can't have a couple drinks? For all we know the drinking was an isolated incident, and I haven't seen any reports of his BAC or anything that would indicate he was completely obliterated or anything. Even if he was, I don't get the big deal. Of course, the driving after drinking thing is a major issue, but I don't get the uproar around the drinking in general given how little information seems to be available about it so far.

His speech was slurred and he was driving without his headlights on. It's fair to assume it wasn't just a couple drinks.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Would it hurt him to show the team how serious he is and that they didn't make a mistake trading for him?

He hasn't thrown one pitch as a Yankee, yet his work habits, dedication, caring, maturity, smarts, and his overall character are already in question and rightfully so. He came to his first Yankee camp out of shape and he gets a DWI while REHABBING SHOULDER SURGERY. Not exactly getting off to a good start for clowny.

And what does one person's DUI have to do with another person's success as a ballplayer? I'm not getting this connection to Cabrera that you and others are making. Babe Ruth had two legs, so do I.
    It sounded to me like everybody was against Pineda more because of the DUI. It gave them more ammo, that this was a bad trade. My exact point that I was trying to make is this DUI shouldn't really be the thing that makes Pineda a Bust or a bad trade. That was the point I was trying to make.

We should at least give Pineda a chance, if he turns out like the Nova of present. Then I will be the first one to say he's a bust.

All I am saying is don't automatically think he's a bust when you really don't know how he would pitch for the Yanks.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Addicted Member

LMAO @ this thread being 98 pages long, and he didn't pitch a single inning for us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You sure about that? Clearly he was flabby, but that caused his shoulder injury? I honestly don't know, but do you have any evidence that of that "directly setting up his injury"?
    No evidence. Just like I have no evidence that his downed velocity in the second half last year was a warning sign of things to come. Or should have at least prompted Cashman to order an MRI with contrast. But coming to camp out of shape does reflect badly on your character and shows a poor work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    So they guy can't have a couple drinks? For all we know the drinking was an isolated incident, and I haven't seen any reports of his BAC or anything that would indicate he was completely obliterated or anything. Even if he was, I don't get the big deal. Of course, the driving after drinking thing is a major issue, but I don't get the uproar around the drinking in general given how little information seems to be available about it so far.
    Sure, he can have a couple of drinks, but there's something in the law that states, if you do, don't get behind the wheel of a car. And me thinks people who drink and are ballsy enough to get behind the wheel of a car have probably done it before. They just haven't gotten caught. Pineda doesn't strike me as a wallflower. But again, I'm basing this on perception because I have no proof.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    No evidence. Just like I have no evidence that his downed velocity in the second half last year was a warning sign of things to come. Or should have at least prompted Cashman to order an MRI with contrast. But coming to camp out of shape does reflect badly on your character and shows a poor work ethic.
    It confuses me how people continue to say this when his velocity was down in one start after a 11 or 12 day layoff. Seriously, go to fangraphs.

I agree with the point about coming to camp out of shape, but because two things happened doesn't create a causal link.

Sure, he can have a couple of drinks, but there's something in the law that states, if you do, don't get behind the wheel of a car. And me thinks people who drink and are ballsy enough to get behind the wheel of a car have probably done it before. They just haven't gotten caught. Pineda doesn't strike me as a wallflower. But again, I'm basing this on perception because I have no proof.
    IIRC, his BAC was around .125 or something. For me, that's between 5 and 6 drinks -- so, yeah, he was drunk enough to know better. I don't see how you get to the wallflower part, but it was obviously an extremely bad decision.

That said, I'm not getting how this is related to anything else about his rehab.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    he was drunk enough to know better.
    There's a phrase you don't hear every day.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

There's a phrase you don't hear every day.
    Yes, lol, poorly phrased. Should have said something more along the lines of him having drunk enough that it was obvious he needed assistance.

Drunk enough to know better would have depended on who he was taking home in the car with him.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    His speech was slurred and he was driving without his headlights on. It's fair to assume it wasn't just a couple drinks.
    I've gotten pulled over for driving without my headlights on completely stone sober once. But just saw a report, BAC of .128? Ouch. Yes, now that we have some facts it's pretty clear he had more than a couple drinks.

I actually was pulled over a few times for no headlights-- the dash lights didn't work on my POS car and just about anytime I left from somewhere that was well-lit I never remembered to turn the lights on.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

LOL. Whatever. You're trying to tie together things that may have absolutely no relationship whatsoever. He came to camp out of shape that offseason. Surprising, disappointing, reflects poorly on his discipline (not his character IMHO) and really only shows evidence of his work ethic that particular offseason. Even if you make the leap of faith that he has and will always have a poor work ethic in general, explain to me how that directly caused his shoulder injury.

Right, I acknowledged that in every post I've made on the subject. Clearly he used terrible judgement, especially after seeing the BAC that is now being reported. Moronic DUI aside, I still don't get how getting drunk one night proves he's a slob that isn't taking his shoulder rehab seriously. There are players that go out and get hammered the night before games, let alone rehab.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about his rehab prior to this incident?

At Pineda's reported weight of 260 lbs, an alcohol level of .125 - .128 is more like 7-8 drinks for someone that's 250 lbs., so it just might be 8-9 drinks, give or take a drink.

And just for clarification purposes, some of my responses addressing the number of drinks (definitely more than just a couple), were based on his reported alcohol level that I knew about yesterday. I'm guessing that responses from others were also based on this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    It sounded to me like everybody was against Pineda more because of the DUI. It gave them more ammo, that this was a bad trade. My exact point that I was trying to make is this DUI shouldn't really be the thing that makes Pineda a Bust or a bad trade. That was the point I was trying to make.

We should at least give Pineda a chance, if he turns out like the Nova of present. Then I will be the first one to say he's a bust.

All I am saying is don't automatically think he's a bust when you really don't know how he would pitch for the Yanks.
    I'm there with you. I'm all for seeing him succeed, even if he's gotten off to a bad start. Personally, I have nothing against him just because he was traded for Montero. It's his seeming irresponsible nature and the possibility that he may be damaged good that concerns me more, not because I'm necessarily concerned about him or his lifestyle, but more in how it will affect his pitching for the Yankees.

Unless he's totally braindead, I'm sure he knows he has to be on his best behavior from here on out, considering the high risk in trading for him, for whom he was traded and how little his given his new team in year one. If he continues to act irresponsibly after this, then he's clearly just a jerk.

As for the Pineda DUI bust in Tampa, you really have to wonder who is minding the store down there in the Yankee player development department. Even before the former Mariner went down in spring training with a shoulder injury, the word was out that this was a guy who loves his beer. After he reported to spring training overweight and out of shape, you would think the Yankee player development honchos would monitor him closely as he rehabs under their watch in Tampa.
    Then again, these are the same pitching gurus who babied Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances to the point where Banuelos is out for the season with an elbow injury at Triple-A and Betances has become a hopeless case with his command at Double-A.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz24TDuMnxQ

I heard rumors that Montero also loved the booze, so the Yanks traded one boozer for another.

NYYF Cy Young

I too love beer.

this would not happen in tampa's system
    always reasonable

NYYF Cy Young

this would not happen in tampa's system
    You mean the same system that brought in both Josh Hamilton and Elijah Dukes?

Thread Information