+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 111 FirstFirst ... 26 66 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2768
  1. #1876

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Pitchers are always a risky investment, and any time you pay a significant price for a young arm, you know that it could blow up on any given pitch. However, the consensus at the time of the deal is that it was a smart move for the Yankees to make, and an organization canít entirely avoid acquiring pitchers simply due to a preference for risk avoidance. If you want a good pitching staff, youíre going to have to take some gambles on some young arms. The Yankees did, and in this case, it didnít work. That doesnít make it a bad idea, or a move that the Yankees front office should be criticized for making.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...h-torn-labrum/

    the bolded seems to be argued against by some in this thread. Or is it something unique to Pineda or Montero that made this a particularly bad gamble?

    It seems there's a ton of variation between "labral tears" and that third parties won't be that informative because they don't have the specific information. The optimism coming from the yankees about the chances of recovery are a bit reassuring.

  2. #1877

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I'm sure they are. Whether people post in the game thread or not, doesn't mean they are uninterested in what Hughes does. The GT is pretty much unreadable with the doom & gloom after every inning combined with the obnoxious attempts at jinxing the other team.
    I think game threads are an acquired taste. I think many people (myself in this group) simply see no enjoyment in posting in the game thread very often. Sometimes it interests me, usually it seems boring to me. That is no reflection on whether I want to WATCH the game.

  3. #1878
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Seriously. I don't get why people are trying to sugarcoat this. Devastating? No but it's definitely not good at all.

    It's almost like some are just hellbent on making this out to be no big deal since that was their original stance during Spring Training.
    Just like on the opposite side those against are calling Pineda's career over for the same reason. Obviously this is bad news but the bottom line is no one knows what the final outcome will be. Obviously anytime a shoulder injury happens it is worse than the elbow bit the fact there is no rotator cuff damage and it is being done arthroscopically is at least somewhat less negative news.
    Life is good!

  4. #1879
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Jack Zdurencik thinking.... "this is too easy (lol)".
    Actually, I bet he's thinking: Man, we got lucky ...
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  5. #1880

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    I didn't like Montero's attitude. He was whiny.

    Pineda had the mindset of a pitcher to me. Not a thrower. He came and took a below average change up and make it look good. He seemed more about doing his job than about Michael Pineda. Montero seemed to be all about Montero.

  6. #1881

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    I saw the post Coffee. I've got another tab opened to google trying to read about Schilling's injury.
    Looks like he had it in 1995 and 1999. I don't know if that is good news or bad.

    http://articles.philly.com/2000-02-2...eneral-manager
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  7. #1882
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    I think game threads are an acquired taste. I think many people (myself in this group) simply see no enjoyment in posting in the game thread very often. Sometimes it interests me, usually it seems boring to me. That is no reflection on whether I want to WATCH the game.
    I think the GT's pretty much suck now. I used to enjoy them alot back in the day....now its just a few people in there everynight talking about the same things and barely showing any emotion regarding the game.

  8. #1883

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    Pitchers are always a risky investment, and any time you pay a significant price for a young arm, you know that it could blow up on any given pitch. However, the consensus at the time of the deal is that it was a smart move for the Yankees to make, and an organization canít entirely avoid acquiring pitchers simply due to a preference for risk avoidance. If you want a good pitching staff, youíre going to have to take some gambles on some young arms. The Yankees did, and in this case, it didnít work. That doesnít make it a bad idea, or a move that the Yankees front office should be criticized for making.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...h-torn-labrum/

    the bolded seems to be argued against by some in this thread. Or is it something unique to Pineda or Montero that made this a particularly bad gamble?

    It seems there's a ton of variation between "labral tears" and that third parties won't be that informative because they don't have the specific information. The optimism coming from the yankees about the chances of recovery are a bit reassuring.
    The bolded is one man's opinion. One easily debunked by none other than the Yankees for the past 20 years.
    [QUOTE=TheKillerB's]Bichette is going to be big, quote me on it.[/QUOTE]

  9. #1884
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Looks like he had it in 1995 and 1999. I don't know if that is good news or bad.

    http://articles.philly.com/2000-02-2...eneral-manager
    Near as I can tell the sucess rate is somewhere between 33-66% pn should surgeries for MLBers. Not sure how relaible that is and if it is all shoulder surgries or just a subset of them as the data came from one USA Today article I found.

    I believe Jake Peavy, C-M Wang and Johan Santana are three recent examples of pitchers who have returned from shoulder surgries to return to MLB rosters. Whether or not they have returned to their pre-injury level is debatable given the small samples on 2 of them and peavy didn't look great his first seasons back from the injury.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  10. #1885
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Beach, NH

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Did Liriano have a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, or both?

    Are there any examples of hard throwers who torn their labrum, without damage to the RC, had the labrum repaired, and DID regain their prior velocity?

    Are there any examples of the opposite, torn labrum, no RC damage, had the labrum repaired, and DID NOT regain their prior velocity?

    Preferably recent examples so the advancements in surgery are in the same ball-park.
    Roger Clemens (1985), Curt Schilling (1995), and Chris Carpenter (2002) are among the small minority of starting pitchers who made a full recovery from a torn labrum.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  11. #1886

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Roger Clemens (1985), Curt Schilling (1995), and Chris Carpenter (2002) are among the small minority of starting pitchers who made a full recovery from a torn labrum.
    What about Ted Lilly? Didn't he have a torn labrum?

    I guess Bedard is too soon to tell.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  12. #1887
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    Pitchers are always a risky investment, and any time you pay a significant price for a young arm, you know that it could blow up on any given pitch. However, the consensus at the time of the deal is that it was a smart move for the Yankees to make, and an organization canít entirely avoid acquiring pitchers simply due to a preference for risk avoidance. If you want a good pitching staff, youíre going to have to take some gambles on some young arms. The Yankees did, and in this case, it didnít work. That doesnít make it a bad idea, or a move that the Yankees front office should be criticized for making.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...h-torn-labrum/

    the bolded seems to be argued against by some in this thread. Or is it something unique to Pineda or Montero that made this a particularly bad gamble?

    It seems there's a ton of variation between "labral tears" and that third parties won't be that informative because they don't have the specific information. The optimism coming from the yankees about the chances of recovery are a bit reassuring.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that outright. It's more a matter of acquiring a pitcher under the right circumstances. The Yankees traded from a position of scarcity for a position of relative abundance while at the same time eschewing their greatest advantage, i.e. financial might.

  13. #1888

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    this myth has been repeatedly disproved. He was consistent the whole year and if anything there was a slight improvement in the second half.
    Point completely missed by you.

    His success, whenever he had it, was tied to his velocity, which in all likelihood he won't be able to sustain as a SP.

    That's not bashing Pineda either. He'll have to be a different pitcher than the one we traded for if he is to succeed. Pointing that out isn't bashing.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

  14. #1889
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Jack Zdurencik thinking.... "this is too easy (lol)".
    Chone Figgins said the same thing when Z phoned his agent.

  15. #1890
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    At least we got Jose Campos to make ourselves feel better.

    I'm not going to engage in the hyperbole of both sides because I value my sanity but man are some of you guys really terrible.

  16. #1891
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I didn't like Montero's attitude. He was whiny.

    Pineda had the mindset of a pitcher to me. Not a thrower. He came and took a below average change up and make it look good. He seemed more about doing his job than about Michael Pineda. Montero seemed to be all about Montero.

  17. #1892
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Gee, good thing Andy decided to make a comeback. I'm wondering if he did'nt get a phone call.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

  18. #1893

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I didn't like Montero's attitude. He was whiny.

    Pineda had the mindset of a pitcher to me. Not a thrower. He came and took a below average change up and make it look good. He seemed more about doing his job than about Michael Pineda. Montero seemed to be all about Montero.
    Wow...................................Wow.


  19. #1894

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post

    Roger Clemens (1985), Curt Schilling (1995), and Chris Carpenter (2002) are among the small minority of starting pitchers who made a full recovery from a torn labrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

    What about Ted Lilly? Didn't he have a torn labrum?
    Thanks zim

    Lilly wouldn't count, coffee, because I'm specifically looking for hard throwers who regained their prior velocity.

    All I'm trying to discern here is whether or not we can still get the pitcher we traded for, the power pitcher who sits in the mid 90's, or if those days are gone forever. Thats why I was asking for examples of power pitchers who made a full recovery from this surgery, and its encouraging to know its been done, hopefully Pineda can do it too.

  20. #1895

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Wow...................................Wow.
    Pineda made himself better & he's a team player. Montero makes himself better & he's selfish. Yup, makes total sense to me.

  21. #1896

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He had TJS.
    ah ok, thanks 62

  22. #1897

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Thanks zim

    Lilly wouldn't count, coffee, because I'm specifically looking for hard throwers who regained their prior velocity.

    All I'm trying to discern here is whether or not we can still get the pitcher we traded for, the power pitcher who sits in the mid 90's, or if those days are gone forever. Thats why I was asking for examples of power pitchers who made a full recovery from this surgery, and its encouraging to know its been done, hopefully Pineda can do it too.
    Oh I didn't catch the power pitcher addendum.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  23. #1898
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Montero was whiny? That reminds me of the "Cano smiles and laughs too much...he doesnt care!" or "ARod puckers his lips at the plate...he's scared!" nonsense.

  24. #1899

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    Man we have bad luck with young pitchers. Oh well, hope he comes back throwing gas in '13.

  25. #1900

    Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

    I knew yesterday, when Pineda's agent went seeking a second opinion, that we were shtupped

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts