Montero-.868
    Sanchez-.820
    You know that OPS is SLG + OBP, right?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF MVP

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

This is all well and good but irrelevant because trading Montero had nothing to do with Gary Sanchez.

The trade happened because Cashman thought Pineda helped us and gave up something to get something.

Getting into a who was better in the Sally league discussion is pointless they were both pretty damn good with Montero having a edge but again it's irrelevant in the context of Pineda and why the trade went down.

NYYF Legend

This morning’s MRI revealed tendinitis in Michael Pineda’s sore right shoulder. He’ll open the season on the 15-day disabled list, but given the alternatives, manager Joe Girardi called this “great news.”

“Very relieved,” Girardi said. “Because the rest of the MRI came out good.”

With sore shoulders, the biggest concern centers on labrums and rotator cuffs. Both seem to be fine with Pineda. The plan is for Pineda to rest for a while, thought Girardi wouldn’t put any sort of timetable on his potential return. Girardi said there’s still no clear indication whether Pineda felt this before last night, but it’s “absolutely” a problem that popped up after the trade. This isn’t a lingering issue from last season.

As for a cause, Girardi said it could be anything. Could be a gradual situation that just started to present itself this spring. It might have been caused made worse by Pineda trying to throw hard and slightly altering his mechanics. It could be just normal wear and tear. Although Phil Hughes also had shoulder tendonitis last season, Girardi said he doesn’t consider these injuries one and the same. There’s too much going on in the shoulder to say that two tendonitis problems would be the same.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/3...er-tendonitis/

Can't wait to see when he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I expect this thread to be full of 'I'm awesome because I never liked the trade' people for a while.

Great.
    When we voiced our opposition to the trade we were told we were wrong by the Fangraphs crowd based on shifting and subjective notions of "value."

When we voiced our concern about his velocity during ST were told that we were being silly and alarmist.

Now that it's clear we've traded the best hitting prospect this organization has produced in years for damaged goods, we're told to shut up.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Because we didn't trade for damaged goods. It's pretty ignorant to think that we did.

NYYF Legend

I have heard that Montero has already hit 5HR in just two games this regular season. Jesus I hate this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    When we voiced our opposition to the trade we were told we were wrong by the Fangraphs crowd based on shifting and subjective notions of "value."

When we voiced our concern about his velocity during ST were told that we were being silly and alarmist.

Now that it's clear we've traded the best hitting prospect this organization has produced in years for damaged goods, we're told to shut up.
    I find it amazing that you were feeling so persecuted by the existence of people who didn't agree with your opinion of the trade that now that Pineda is hurt it appears you're happier than if the trade worked out. It's as if being right is more important to you than the success of the team. It's still too early to tell how this will all shake out but right now-- today-- it looks as if Pineda might not be as good or as healthy as it appeared when the trade went down.

So congratulations, I guess. Are you happy now?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Go easy. When the promise of Montero is exchanged for an overweight sore-shouldered quesion mark and the corpse of Raul Ibanez people get upset.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

Are you happy now?
    No. Just pissed because none of this suprises me in the least.

No. Just pissed because none of this suprises me in the least.
    Of course-- you were right all along.

Again, congratulations.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Of course-- you were right all along.

Again, congratulations.
    Truce. What's done is done. We all want the same thing. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

I was just going to answer with

...but we all want the same thing is better.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

While it is way too early to evaluate the trade (I was and am still in favor) it is way too early to say he is "damaged goods". Now obviously this isn't the way we hoped he would start his Yankee career but let's also see what Montero does before we plan his enshrinement in Cooperstown. Though I do think he will turn out to be a very good if not great hitter.
    Life is good!

I don't see anybody planning Montero's enshrinement into the Hall of Fame?

I do see a ton of hyperbole though.

Not true about trading for damaged goods, but rationalized it anyway you need to in your mind.

Devoted Member

Cash dealt Montero and Zxxxxck dealt Pineda from position of strength. Yankees are strong at catcher, Seattle strong at pitching. It was easier to deal Montero becuase we have Sanchez, but not because Gary is better hitter (good D and speed ). Jesus looks like a great hitter no doubt, an Pineda looks like a potential ace. "Stupid trade" 'Damaged Goods" "Seattle pulled a fast one"........I'm sure if Cash could of traded Jorge Vasquez and bag of balls to SEA for Pineda, he would of done so. However, trying to treat your contemporaries as bunch of idiots is not a good model for long-lasting respected career, and you really don't hear too many current/former GM's bashing Cashman or questioning his intelligence. I would be much more dissapointed if Cash traded Montero for Hellickson, Kennedy type of pitcher. I'd rather have a GM that makes trades that benefit both sides, cause if it only benefits him, nobody would consider trades with him. You can't have a Boras type GM. Patience is a virtue.
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post

A little too much from both sides of this argument. People need to calm down.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yarosh25 View Post
    Cash dealt Montero and Zxxxxck dealt Pineda from position of strength. Yankees are strong at catcher, Seattle strong at pitching. It was easier to deal Montero becuase we have Sanchez, but not because Gary is better hitter (good D and speed ). Jesus looks like a great hitter no doubt, an Pineda looks like a potential ace. "Stupid trade" 'Damaged Goods" "Seattle pulled a fast one"........I'm sure if Cash could of traded Jorge Vasquez and bag of balls to SEA for Pineda, he would of done so. However, trying to treat your contemporaries as bunch of idiots is not a good model for long-lasting respected career, and you really don't hear too many current/former GM's bashing Cashman or questioning his intelligence. I would be much more dissapointed if Cash traded Montero for Hellickson, Kennedy type of pitcher. I'd rather have a GM that makes trades that benefit both sides, cause if it only benefits him, nobody would consider trades with him. You can't have a Boras type GM. Patience is a virtue.
    Seattle didn't pull a fast one on anybody - if Montero were at least an average defender, he'd still be a Yankee and Cashman wouldn't be looking to negotiate an extension with Russell Martin.

Sanchez doesn't factor into the decision at all for various reasons, the most obvious one being (as others have correctly stated) that he's at least 3 years away from reaching the majors, if he does at all.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Seattle didn't pull a fast one on anybody - if Montero were at least an average defender, he'd still be a Yankee and Cashman wouldn't be looking to negotiate an extension with Russell Martin.

Sanchez doesn't factor into the decision at all for various reasons, the most obvious one being (as others have correctly stated) that he's at least 3 years away from reaching the majors, if he does at all.
    I totally agree with your post! What Sanchez does this season might alter my opinion regarding his ML debut.

Devoted Member

I was talking in terms of organizational strength vs organizational strength based trade, eg Catching vs Pitching.
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Devoted Member

Also, just to get away from this thread "Doon & Gloom" and "I told you so" your post gives an idea to an interesting hypothetical question: Let's say Jesus was a a league-average defender and based on stuff Pineda displayed last year, would you consider doing a trade if it was presented to Yankees/by Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post

The overall point I was making and how others take it is up to them is that Montero has to become a star before being called one. He very well may but so may Pineda.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A little too much from both sides of this argument. People need to calm down.
    Agreed. Right now it is tendinitis which is far less serious than it could have been.
    Life is good!

Thread Information