+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 111 FirstFirst ... 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 50 90 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2768

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

booing in spring training is ridiculous

Want your Pitcher to lose 5+ mph on his fastball? Trade him to the Yankees.

Cone basically said his mechanics are a mess, his arm strength is not there and you cannot set this kid up for failure in the Bronx to start his Yankee career, he's only 23, his future is too bright and you have to protect him against that, so it probably makes sense to let him start in AAA until he builds up his arm strength and straightens out his mechanics.

NYYF Legend

I feel for the kid. Sh*t has to be painful as hell.

Something just doesn't seem right. This is a guy who has commanded the baseball his entire pro career, and he's just not getting over where he wants right now.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    I feel for the kid. Sh*t has to be painful as hell.

Something just doesn't seem right. This is a guy who has commanded the baseball his entire pro career, and he's just not getting over where he wants right now.
    Yeah, he doesn't have great mechanics right now.

He also seems to be in pain tonight. Lots of weird actions with his arm and grimaces.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post

He also seems to be in pain tonight. Lots of weird actions with his arm and grimaces.
    Yes. Not sure what's that about.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post

Want your Pitcher to lose 5+ mph on his fastball? Trade him to the Yankees.
    I've never seen so many young guys lose their velocity like they do with this team ... Joba, Hughes, Pineda ... you are not supposed to lose 5+ MPH's off your fast ball in your early to mid 20's

What are we doing wrong?

Are we killing their power with the way we emphasize off speed pitches?

oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

I thought I saw the same thing but it's hard to tell with all his gyrations out there between pitches.

Anyway, for me, if he's healthy, I can't see sending him to AAA. It's just a terrible move for all sorts of reasons. I'm just afraid this is going to spook the Yanks into starting homeboy on the Empire State Mobile Baseball Brigade.

This will just be a growing experience for Pineda.

He showed up in rough shape from the start. Some people thought pointing that out was a witch hunt or some sort of over analyzing but it was a fact.

He will start the year in the minors and build himself back into shape. This is a young kid who I'm sure has learned a lot this spring about how easy it is to lose this career. You will see an improved player all around given this kids character. He will improve as a pitcher and how he prepares for this career.

Sure, they traded Montero for a guy who looks like a bust (or at least dosen't make you feel good about the trade) so far but I think long term this can still work out well for the Yanks. Again, Pineda will learn from how he approached the offseason which is most likely the biggest culprit.

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

there's something off right now and it's concerning, but using the word bust at this point, in almost any context, is dumb.

NYYF Legend

Girardi called tonight a "big start", and he's not someone who usually makes those types of comments. I wonder if AAA is in the cards - something that several posters considered unthinkable just a few hours ago (bmx, looking at you pal).

Looked to me like he was just upset that he had no control of his fastball.

I thought I saw the same thing but it's hard to tell with all his gyrations out there between pitches.

Anyway, for me, if he's healthy, I can't see sending him to AAA. It's just a terrible move for all sorts of reasons. I'm just afraid this is going to spook the Yanks into starting homeboy on the Empire State Mobile Baseball Brigade.
    I think you need to swallow your pride and accept you traded a great looking prospect for a guy you should send down. At least for a little while.

Think longer term. It's not a good move to start the year with him.

Statistics pretty much prove he would have a regressed a bit this year based on the innings jump from 2010 to 2011.

It's a bump. Hard to take I'm sure for most but it isn't that out of the ordinary.

I hate ESPN NY's Andrew Marchand. The guy seems to be openly rooting against Pineda and wanted him in the minors for a month plus now and he's going to get that. Really nervous about the trade, but it's obviously way too early to make judgments. Cashman's pitching acqusitions and Yanks messing with pitchers is concering though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    I hate ESPN NY's Andrew Marchand. The guy seems to be openly rooting against Pineda and wanted him in the minors for a month plus now and he's going to get that. Really nervous about the trade, but it's obviously way too early to make judgments. Cashman's pitching acqusitions and Yanks messing with pitchers is concering though.
    It's amazing how many lousy reporters are allowed to follow the Yanks. Marchand, Matthews, King...

Some of the most negative writers in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    there's something off right now and it's concerning, but using the word bust at this point, in almost any context, is dumb.
    If you were refering to my quote. I'm not saying he is, I was simply thinking someone was going to say it or at least view it.

I by no means think this. I even posted on some of the very first photos of Pineda that this was going to be a bump and a learning experience based on the type of makeup this guy has. He made a mistake and is very young. He is still very talented and can grow. He made progress on secondary pitches which will only help when he is fully ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    Looked to me like he was just upset that he had no control of his fastball.
    I'd say you're right, honestly. I don't think he would have snuck that past Girardi and Rothschild. It did look conerning, however.

Devoted Member

Booing in Spring Training while on vacation in Florida = real classy :-(
    Damn shame
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I think you need to swallow your pride and accept you traded a great looking prospect for a guy you should send down. At least for a little while.

Think longer term. It's not a good move to start the year with him.

Statistics pretty much prove he would have a regressed a bit this year based on the innings jump from 2010 to 2011.

It's a bump. Hard to take I'm sure for most but it isn't that out of the ordinary.
    Why should he be sent down, though? Outside tonight he has looked better than Nova this Spring, easily. I don't see anything right now that could only be hammered out in the minors. It almost looks like he could make a slight adjustment in his next side session and be back to being at least as good as Freddy Garcia.

Not sure about the statistics you're (not) citing, but I do live in dread of the sophmore slump when it comes to NYY pitchers.

NYYF Legend

sooooo, about that good spring despite reduced velocity....

Anyone got the Michael Jackson Popcorn gif queued up?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

He seems like he's regressing instead of getting stronger.

I hope it's what Cone said-- an arm slot or grip issue.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yarosh25 View Post
    Booing in Spring Training while on vacation in Florida = real classy :-(
    Damn shame
    I think those were Phillie fans chanting "Chooooooooch" for Carlos Ruiz (who smashed the bases clearing double), not people booing Pineda.

NYYF MVP

I think those were Phillie fans chanting "Chooooooooch" for Carlos Ruiz (who smashed the bases clearing double), not people booing Pineda.
    It was.

But seriously, its a damn shame this happened. Probably an off night.

Thread Information