+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 111 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 79 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Thats because his velocity dipped in the second half, which is why he struggled in the second half, which is well documented. Talk to any Mariners fan on the net and they'll tell you his V-lo dipped after the All Star break.

In the first half last year he was sitting at 95-96 and routinely cranking it up to 98
    His velocity wasn't really that much different, it was down a little bit
    but nothing to drastic
    http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.as...ion=P&pitch=FA

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Otherwise, early 20 year old pitchers dont suddenly lose velocity unless there is a hidden injury involved.
    this isn't true. Young pitchers often lose velocity after their first full season. Velocity peaks very early in a pitcher's career. It was a concern before he ever reported to camp.

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...what-you-need/
    “Nobody throws hard in spring training, because it’s spring training,” Pineda said. “You think a little more, and work on what you need. Now I’m focused a little more on making good pitches. I learned from last year. That’s what I need.”

“Everybody knows last year I threw harder,” Pineda said. “So (they ask), ‘Hey, what happened to Pineda right now?’ But nothing (happened). I feel good. I can pitch. Everybody sees me. I pitch every five days. … I know last year I threw hard, so I have more power. But this is spring training, so the power is coming back.”

NYYF Legend

People who compare Pineda to Hughes last year completely ignore their breaking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    People who compare Pineda to Hughes last year completely ignore their breaking stuff.
    Not only that, but Hughes wasn't getting his fastball above 90 much. I saw Pineda touch 94 3-4 times today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Not only that, but Hughes wasn't getting his fastball above 90 much. I saw Pineda touch 94 3-4 times today.
    Yea i don't think hughes broke 88 all spring last year

An article from Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_nyy

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I'd really like to see him start in AAA to develop that third pitch and maybe even start on a 4th . Okay, maybe not a 4th, but another year of being cost controlled would be great.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Good column, made me feel better about this, thanks for posting it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'd really like to see him start in AAA to develop that third pitch and maybe even start on a 4th . Okay, maybe not a 4th, but another year of being cost controlled would be great.
    He can develop that third pitch in the major. Unlike Hughes last year, Pineda has shown his willingness to throw that pitch and the progress of his change is clear.

I still can't believe people haven't noticed that he's throwing all cutters right now. Look at every single highlight available @ mlb.com, pretty evident those are cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I'm pretty sure the trade was for more than a 98 mph fastball. A 98 mph fastball can be found easily, other things that go along with pitching effectively, not as much.
    Seriously if people want a 98 mph fastball in spring training so bad we should have just traded Montero for Farnsworth.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

3/24 against Hanshin:

Montero 0-4, 3 K
    Noesi 5 IP, 3 ER

We win
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Triple Crown

I'm really surprised that some people here are worried out about Pineda not throwing 95+ MPH.....in spring training!

In the immortal words of Allen Iverson, "We Talkin' 'bout Practice..."
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

to any Mariners fan on the net
    we already have enough on the plate with mr.cameron
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    In the first half when Pineda was topping out at 98-99 and sitting in the mid 90's he was a dominator even without a change-up or an effective second pitch, to the point where he made the AST, but in the second half when his velocity dipped, he pretty much got his head handed too him.
    I've posted this a few times. I disagree with your comment somewhat. His xFIP was actually ridiculously good from July through October. I think he did tire somewhat in the second half due to the workload, but not to the degree that some think. Seattle began using "Pineda Rules" towards the end of the season that almost undoubtedly contributed to the reduced velocity. His last start came on 11 days rest.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm baffled that you're baffled. Hughes showed a major loss of velocity in ST last year and he parlayed it into a miserable season. I'm not worried about Pineda because I've watched his last two starts and he has legit swing and miss stuff, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't a concern that he hasn't touched 95 yet after touching 98-99 all last year.
    To be fair, Hughes had a terrible, loopy curveball he couldn't command to accompany a 88/89 MPH fastball. Pineda appears to have a devasting slider and an impressive changeup to go along with a 91 / 92 MPH fastball right now. They're pretty different situations.

Quote Originally Posted by metalboy15 View Post
    I still can't believe people haven't noticed that he's throwing all cutters right now. Look at every single highlight available @ mlb.com, pretty evident those are cutters.
    Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    Was he throwing a cutter last night?
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7463496

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    He does a lot of different things with his fastball, which is really nice to see from a young pitcher.
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7465792

I don't remember him throwing cutters last season when I was watching starts of him with the Mariners and pitch FX doesn't have him throwing cutters last year either. I wonder if they added a cutter to his repertoire in secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I'm really surprised that some people here are worried out about Pineda not throwing 95+ MPH.....in spring training!

In the immortal words of Allen Iverson, "We Talkin' 'bout Practice..."
    this made sense after his first couple starts, but we're now a week removed from the start of the season and he hasn't broken 94 after averaging 94.7 last year. Are there any other pitchers who are throwing 3 mph less and have not yet thrown a pitch as fast as they averaged last year? I don't understand the "it's spring training" argument when it's clear that this is not normal. Just one 96 or 97 pitch and this entire story goes away.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Meaning it's spring training and there's no need to be throwing 98 now? Nah that can't be it, we need to panic!
    Life is good!

I'm not panicked about Pineda as much as I am baffled at people not caring.

When the trade got made most people who supported it used his velocity as part of the plus of the deal. Here's a young kid who can throw 98 with control. That doesn't grow on trees. Now you have people in here saying 90-91 is fine with the other pitches.

I wonder if everyone who would have been eager to trade Montero for a young prospect who threw in the low 90s with good breaking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Meaning it's spring training and there's no need to be throwing 98 now? Nah that can't be it, we need to panic!
    Your hyperbole is noted. I agree. Everyone in this thread who wants him throwing 98 in spring training should be banned. Be sure to point out which posters are complaining he isn't at 98 right now.

*crickets*

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post

When the trade got made most people who supported it used his velocity as part of the plus of the deal. Here's a young kid who can throw 98 with control. That doesn't grow on trees. Now you have people in here saying 90-91 is fine with the other pitches.

I wonder if everyone who would have been eager to trade Montero for a young prospect who threw in the low 90s with good breaking stuff.
    Not caring? I think people as in the article Yankees1962 posted above realize it's spring training and there is no need for him to be "airing it out" now.
    Life is good!

I prefer to display my caring for games that count and more online tools to chart his pitches. Get back with me late next month then I might have some concerns.

Your hyperbole is noted. I agree. Everyone in this thread who wants him throwing 98 in spring training should be banned. Be sure to point out which posters are complaining he isn't at 98 right now.

*crickets*
    Show me people in baseball who say he should be throwing 98 MPH in a March game.

*crickets*
    Life is good!

I prefer to display my caring for games that count and more tools to chart his pitches. Get back with me late next month then I might have some concerns.
    ^this

Pineda himself said he is not trying to throw at top speed, yet we should be worried.
    Life is good!

Thread Information