+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Are you seriously concerned about Pineda based on such a small sample, even considering the comp Law provides? Personally I don't give it any weight and even if I did, I think the FanGraphs article provides a very plausible explanation about Pineda's evolving approach to pitching.
    Not even 1% concerned. Just pointing out the flaw in his argument.

The velocity watch redux. I'm actually a big believer in velocity being important for a pitcher, but living and dying by the radar gun has become so tedious the last 4/5 years with Hughes, Joba, and now Pineda.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    keithlaw@keithlaw Saw him on 3/7/11. 93-96. "@Jbeck73: @keithlaw Pineda's velocity yesterday is meaningless unless we know what it was at this time last yr"

You would be right if you weren't wrong.
    it all depends on his off season regime/how early he started getting warmed up
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    keithlaw@keithlaw Saw him on 3/7/11. 93-96. "@Jbeck73: @keithlaw Pineda's velocity yesterday is meaningless unless we know what it was at this time last yr"

You would be right if you weren't wrong.
    That is a totally different situation from this season, so the comparison of similar March dates is highly flawed. Whomever tweeted that question wasn't really thought out in their approach, and Law was his usual jackass self for answering it without providing the context that a Baseball Expert™ should. Pineda came into Seattle camp last year with the knowledge that there was a chance he could turn some heads and maybe break camp, so he had to be raring to go before everyone else. He was basically told "show us you should be a Major Leaguer right now," and that's a pretty different situation than he's currently in.

Assuming that there's no legitimate injury here (which I don't think is the case whatsoever), I'm happy that he's not airing it out just a week removed from February. That's only good for prospects trying to turn heads, or guys looking for a second chance/life. Basically the guys that are trying to force competition from the jump. Pineda isn't in that category at this point, no matter what Girardi/Cash say in the media.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Two. innings. I think it's preposterous to look at his first 2 innings of ST last year and do any sort of comparison. It's two friggin innings and we're not even a week into March yet. Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Two. innings. I think it's preposterous to look at his first 2 innings of ST last year and do any sort of comparison. It's two friggin innings and we're not even a week into March yet. Holy crap.
    Joba and Hughes have forever scarred a lot of people, not much else to it.

The NY media will have fun with this, that's for sure.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That is a totally different situation from this season, so the comparison of similar March dates is highly flawed. Whomever tweeted that question wasn't really thought out in their approach, and Law was his usual jackass self for answering it without providing the context that a Baseball Expert™ should. Pineda came into Seattle camp last year with the knowledge that there was a chance he could turn some heads and maybe break camp, so he had to be raring to go before everyone else. He was basically told "show us you should be a Major Leaguer right now," and that's a pretty different situation than he's currently in.

Assuming that there's no legitimate injury here (which I don't think is the case whatsoever), I'm happy that he's not airing it out just a week removed from February. That's only good for prospects trying to turn heads, or guys looking for a second chance/life. Basically the guys that are trying to force competition from the jump. Pineda isn't in that category at this point, no matter what Girardi/Cash say in the media.
    I hear you, but I don't agree with the assessment. I'd imagine Pineda wanted to impress his new team and show them and their fans he's got the goods that were advertised, and that he was worth the trade his new team made. It just doesn't make sense to me that he would have been airing it out last year in SEA but holding back this year in NY. And it's not like he was just a mph or two behind his last year's season average of almost 95 mph; he was generally 89-91, which is a far cry when it comes to a power pitcher.

Add to it the fact that in Pineda's last start of the 2011 season he was struggling to crack 90, and it's a little worrisome in my opinion. Yeah, I get how weak it is to point back to a start like 5+ months ago, but it's the last datapoint we have vs. live competition. I think it's somewhat important to see some of that mid-ninties gas even occasionally in Pineda's next few appearances. I sincerely hope and think it'll be there, but I have trouble brushing off 89-90 mph heaters with this dude.

I love how every article on this has quoted the same unnamed scout, who knows what velocity he was even really throwing, considering we haven't heard another word about any other pitch thrown in the entire game by any other pitcher, not saying he wasn't at 90 but since there is no other baseline to go by in the game, and his results were good i'am not to concerned and this whole thing is just getting insane with a random scout who apparently was the only person in the park with a radar gun

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    I hear you, but I don't agree with the assessment. I'd imagine Pineda wanted to impress his new team and show them and their fans he's got the goods that were advertised, and that he was worth the trade his new team made.
    I'm not sure how you could possibly say this when the guy showed up to camp 20 lbs overweight. Not going full tilt right out of the gate falls right in a logical line with that.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm not sure how you could possibly say this when the guy showed up to camp 20 lbs overweight. Not going full tilt right out of the gate falls right in a logical line with that.
    Was it 20? I thought it was 10 lbs. Nonetheless, even more motivation to show everyone he has the goods after the hit jobs he suffered from the NY press over the past couple days; more of a reason to show everyone "See, this extra weight don't mean sh*t. You swing and miss at my monster fastball now kthxbai."

NYYF MVP

I am quite worried about how imaginary Pineda will perform in the imaginary 2012 season.

NYYF Legend

Are we really concerning a pitcher's velocity in his first start of the Spring Training? Seriously?

The new York media is trying to
    Do it's best to ruin a young
    Pitcher once again.

There's nothing wrong with Pineda.
    But let's hope he doesn't change
    Himself to make others happy.

It's important that he's himself.

nice poem okay
    always reasonable

Forum Regular

I saw Pineda pitch twice last year and both times his velocity went up as the game went on. The other weird quirk was that a lot of his warmup pitches at the start of an inning were really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    The other weird quirk was that a lot of his warmup pitches at the start of an inning were really slow.
    I don't think that's unusual.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    nice poem okay

If nyyfans would make the
    Messageboard iPhone friendly
    I wouldn't have to write like
    This.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think that's unusual.
    They were slow enough to catch my attention and make me watch him warmup every inning instead of whatever was on the diamond vision. I don't know if that was him trying to work on his change up or if he wanted to save his best pitches for the end of the game or if he just liked to build up his strength each time he came out but it was interesting, although not as much as seeing those 98-99 MPH readings at the end of a game after having 92-93 for the first few innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    They were slow enough to catch my attention and make me watch him warmup every inning instead of whatever was on the diamond vision. I don't know if that was him trying to work on his change up or if he wanted to save his best pitches for the end of the game or if he just liked to build up his strength each time he came out but it was interesting, although not as much as seeing those 98-99 MPH readings at the end of a game after having 92-93 for the first few innings.
    Like lobbing it? I've never seen that.

I've seem a few guys throw pretty slow-- David Wells was one of them--like they were playing catch almost. I just assumed they were working on their form or something.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    nice poem okay
    I lol'd.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Was it 20? I thought it was 10 lbs. Nonetheless, even more motivation to show everyone he has the goods after the hit jobs he suffered from the NY press over the past couple days; more of a reason to show everyone "See, this extra weight don't mean sh*t. You swing and miss at my monster fastball now kthxbai."
    Yeah, it was only 10 and supposedly he's already lost 8 of it. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Yeah, it was only 10 and supposedly he's already lost 8 of it. Nothing to see here.
    I will say this, Pineda seems to be another one of these guys that smiles too much. Small sample, I know, but it's something to keep an eye on.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Like lobbing it? I've never seen that.

I've seem a few guys throw pretty slow-- David Wells was one of them--like they were playing catch almost. I just assumed they were working on their form or something.
    Like Wells. It was just something I figured people would want to know so there aren't a lot of freaked out posts about how his arm strength might be off or something.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I will say this, Pineda seems to be another one of these guys that smiles too much. Small sample, I know, but it's something to keep an eye on.
    It's infuriating.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF Triple Crown

Every time I hear someone say that Pineda might not be in the starting rotation, I want to punch them.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Thread Information