+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 111 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Might as well get it started!
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Keep in mind that he's not a finished product. Right now he's more like a No. 3 starter with ace upside. It would be interesting to see how well the Yankees develop him.

dude could try the cutter.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Keep in mind that he's not a finished product. Right now he's more like a No. 3 starter with ace upside. It would be interesting to see how well the Yankees develop him.
    in what world is a 3.36 SIERA equivalent to #3 starter? I expect him to be a #2 immediately, with Nova/Kuroda/Garcia (not necessarily in that order) being 3-5 in potential.
    like delv, but better

Simple. We take him and put him in the pen as soon as or long man gets a headache or a setup guy doesn't pan out, and then back to the rotation when we run out of Sidney Ponson types to start games.

We do that for a few years, then bury him in the pen and trade our biggest hitting prospect in a generation to start this all over again.

And along the way we'll blame the pitching coaches and design crazy rules to "protect the kid's arm", which won't stand a chance, of course.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Released Outright

I can't wait to see this guy in pinstripes. His K/9 will become godly once Rothschild has a chance to work with him.

1-2-3-4-5...It doesnt matter. Just having him take the ball every 5 days is going to be an evemt..must see events.

I usually worry about nervous 1st years when players join us. But when you see how he pitched as a 22 year old rookie, that might not be a concern.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    in what world is a 3.36 SIERA equivalent to #3 starter? I expect him to be a #2 immediately, with Nova/Kuroda/Garcia (not necessarily in that order) being 3-5 in potential.
    I'm trying not to get too giddy, but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that he becomes the #1 by '13 and possibly even this season.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I can't wait to see this guy in pinstripes. His K/9 will become godly once Rothschild has a chance to work with him.

Say what

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm trying not to get too giddy, but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that he becomes the #1 by '13 and possibly even this season.
    that'd involve a pretty steep decline from cc, not sure if that's a good thing
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    1) I normally lower my expectation for young unproven pitcher (1 season is still considered unproven by my own standard).

2) Tougher division.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    that'd involve a pretty steep decline from cc, not sure if that's a good thing
    Or a nice improvement from Pineda. Which I don't think is unrealistic. Again, wasn't saying it was probable but it wouldn't shock me if CC is still a top of the rotation guy and Pineda gets on par with that or better.

there are a number of obvious factors in play that drag down his expected production

1. he is a two pitch guy right now. he'll dominate the teams that can't hit his fastball but that won't work against the red sox etc for too long. expect a number of games in which he gets hit hard in the al east.

2. he pitches up in the zone with a high flyball ratio. moving away from safeco is a concern, and you can't use a sss home/away to dispel the fundamentals here.
    this approach though could change and i expect some rough patches leading to adjustments once he is in YS.

3. he is not as dominant against lefties, and left handed power plays well in YS.
    this would suggest that he needs to get a pitch that owns lefties. i suggest the cutter and i hope mo suggests the cutter as well.

4. he has a slider heavy approach. that's cool because his slider is a killer pitch, but it also carries high mechanical wear and tear. it's a risk that may not translate into a performance hit, but it does present injury concerns.

he is still raw and his current approach cannot be counted on to replicate his success from last year. on the other hand, i have higher hopes for his ability to adjust after some struggles, and ultimately he is a beast with a high high potential once he does enhance his arsenal.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Or a nice improvement from Pineda. Which I don't think is unrealistic. Again, wasn't saying it was probable but it wouldn't shock me if CC is still a top of the rotation guy and Pineda gets on par with that or better.
    that's giving cc too little credit though i think. cc is a beast, at least on par with verlander last season.
    always reasonable

awy,

I don't think you've suggested the cutter enough. Honestly, I think he needs an off speed. Changeups aren't as rough on the arm as more fastballs.

yea but he already has a changeup he just doesn't use it as often. and it's a bit boring which lowers his sexiness quite a bit.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    yea but he already has a changeup he just doesn't use it as often. and it's a bit boring which lowers his sexiness quite a bit.
    Well, that is flawless logic. I'd like to see a splitter and a knuckleball.

slider cutter fastball is a pretty rare combo, would be cool to have rafael soriano impart some wisdom...

on second thought maybe not!
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

What kind of slider does he throw, btw? Does it break down and away, or just straight down?

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    What kind of slider does he throw, btw? Does it break down and away, or just straight down?
    Two planer, down and away.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    here you go

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_14484101&v=3
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    That's some sexy pitching right there. Against a pretty good offense, too.

I'm a fan of his control. While it's not outstanding, it's pretty good for a young pitcher. Usually young guys struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

actually i saw this heatmap of pineda swinging k's or something and they were bunched up on the up and away corner of the zone. i'd say his command is among the strongest parts of his game.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

one thing to keep in mind is he is probably gonna break ST as the number 4 starter heck maybe even the 5th starter
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Thread Information