+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1204
    Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm the first to post this, but I really wanted to see A.J. Burnett give Derek Jeter a creampie. I'm upset this is never going to happen.

Re: What happens with Burnett?

I'm not sure if I'm the first to post this, but I really wanted to see A.J. Burnett give Derek Jeter a creampie. I'm upset this is never going to happen.
    Sweeeeaaaarrdown.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

I'm not sure if I'm the first to post this, but I really wanted to see A.J. Burnett give Derek Jeter a creampie.

You're probably not the first to have that fantasy but I'm pretty confident you're the first to announce it publicly.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    We have 7.5M off our payroll this year, thus we are 7.5M less over the threshold and 40% of that is 2.6M
    Likewise, we have 7.5M off our payroll next year and 40% of that is 2.6M

Total = 5.2M

What am I missing here?
    To my understanding, luxury tax counts player's average salary for his whole contract, not his salary for particular year. Therefore, the Yankees paid luxuey tax 40% of AJ's $16.5M which is $6.6M a year. Now they paid $5.56M for the luxury tax a year - (82.5-13)/5*40%=5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    To my understanding, luxury tax counts player's average salary for his whole contract, not his salary for particular year. Therefore, the Yankees paid luxuey tax 40% of AJ's $16.5M which is $6.6M a year. Now they paid $5.56M for the luxury tax a year - (82.5-13)/5*40%=5.56.
    You are correct, the AAV (average annual value) is what is the tax hit..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Well, I will admit to not being in the Commissioner's office calculating luxury tax, but I believe you are correct with respect to the AAV point.

However, the Yankees have already paid luxury tax on three of those five years - are we going to get a refund from the Commissioner's office for the fact that the AAV has now changed for those three years as well?

Interestingly - and I realize it is not necessarily an official source of data - Cot's has already moved AJ's contract to the Pirates and shows that the Yankee's $20M contribution is split $11.5M in 2012 ($4M savings) and $8.5M in 2013 ($8M savings).

One way of looking at it that can be considered here is that the Yankees would have paid $13.2M in luxury tax on Burnett's contract over the next two seasons. They will now only be responsible for $20M, which becomes $8M in luxury tax, which is a savings of $5.2M.

Another possibility is that the Yankees will save $2M in 2012 (they pay $11.5M of the $16.5M contract, a decrease of $5M) and save $3.2M in 2013 (they save $8M).

Since I think for luxury tax purposes, the AAV actually shifts to the acquiring team and only the funding obligation remains on the old team's luxury tax payroll, I would have to think the latter is what is really going to happen.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    You are correct, the AAV (average annual value) is what is the tax hit..
    Yes, but the AAV of Burnett's contract is no longer in the Yankees' payroll for luxury tax purposes - only their obligation.

From an ESPN article on luxury tax

To compute the payroll, Major League Baseball uses the average annual values of contracts for players on 40-man rosters and adds benefits.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Post of the Year

Excuse me while I go throw acid in my eyes to try to erase this mental image.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Triple Crown

Sometimes a quick visit to Urban Dictionary can do wonders towards avoiding these moments...
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Rule 34.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Interesting way to calculate it. I'm not sure how they do it, but I'll take your word for it.

If you ask me, we should be off the hook for all 16.5M/year's tax implications since he's not on our 40 man roster
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Devoted Member

AJ passed Pirates' physical and MLB has approved the trade per Heyman. Clock is now ticking on getting the lefty DH...

@JonHeymanCBS: Burnett passed the physical and mlb approved the trade. Done deal.

Good news.

Now sign Ibanez and Chavez and the team in complete and ready to battle for #28

Pass on Chavez

So who backs up 3B?

Nunez? HA...Rather root for Hall to make the team.

you want your back up infielders to be able to field the ball... thats the very least you expect from them..

Hall doesn't fit the bill... Bring back Chavy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryankees View Post
    you want your back up infielders to be able to field the ball... thats the very least you expect from them..

Hall doesn't fit the bill... Bring back Chavy.
    You need your back up infielder to be able to stay on the field. Chavez doesn't fit the bill.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I kind of doubt it would work that way... then they'd be owed money back for the part of the $13 million that they already paid in earlier years. There are adjustments for things like bonuses achieved, so I imagine there are for situations like this as well.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Yes, but the AAV of Burnett's contract is no longer in the Yankees' payroll for luxury tax purposes - only their obligation.

From an ESPN article on luxury tax
    According to the old CBA:
    An assignor Club that pays cash consideration to defray all or part of the salary obligation of the assignee Club for an assigned Player shall include such cash consideration in its Actual Club Payroll in the Contract Year in which the cash consideration is paid
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

farewell sweet prince... we'll see lots of you in spring training, seeing as how the pirates complex is right next door
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Thread Information