+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: What happens with Burnett?

Jon Heyman reporting that it's looking pretty close to being done:

NEW YORK (WFAN) — A.J. Burnett could be an ex-Yankee by the end of the weekend.
    CBSSports.com and WFAN’s Jon Heyman has learned the Yankees and Pirates are in the final stages of hammering out a trade that would send the enigmatic Burnett to Pittsburgh for cash and two non-roster minor leaguers, barring a last-minute snag.
    The Pirates would pay the Yankees $13 million of the $33 million Burnett is owed through 2013, Heyman reported.
    The deal has yet to be finalized. It will need MLB approval and a Burnett physical once the terms are agreed upon.

Heyman has also learned the Yankees plan on adding two bats to their bench once the Burnett trade goes down. Right now they are focusing on utility infielder Eric Chavez and veteran outfielder Raul Ibanez.
    New York general manager Brian Cashman let it slip in November that Burnett would be in the rotation “if he’s with us.” The comment made headlines and Cashman backtracked a bit, later telling the New York Daily News, “I won’t be shopping anybody.”
    Burnett went 11-11 with a 5.15 ERA in 2011. He also led the major leagues in wild pitches.
    In three seasons with the Yankees, the 35-year-old righty has gone 34-35 with a 4.79 ERA.
    Source:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...t-trade-talks/

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Ultimately...I think is what we would all like to see. I think the team is better with Garcia filling the long man/emergency starter role since I think him having the same type of year he had last year is a longshot...but he still could be solid out of the pen as a long man and starting a few games if necessary.

With that said, Hughes has to show ALOT in ST. I need to see consistent velocity, an improved curve, a changeup that isnt awful and a cutter that gets in on the lefties more often then not. Basically something close to what he was the first few months in 2010.
    If he's throwing hard and can get his curve ball over (as in not just a chase pitch), then he'll get the job and pitch well. The change up and cutter are important if he wants to be more than a #3 or back end starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    Jon Heyman reporting that it's looking pretty close to being done:

Source:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/...t-trade-talks/
    So, the Yankees would be getting back the cash that the Pirates were getting from the luxury tax the Yanks have been paying all these years.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    So, the Yankees would be getting back the cash that the Pirates were getting from the luxury tax the Yanks have been paying all these years.
    Revenue sharing, not luxury tax. And while I'm glad to see them putting it into payroll rather than their pockets, I think spending it on AJ still shows bad judgment and bad ownership. But from the Yankees' POV, anything that gets him off the team is OK with me.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And since AJ pitched to a 6.99 ERA from that point on, he wouldn't have helped them much.
    hey, that's like a 5.99 in the NL
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by yanksfan7788 View Post
    Yeah, neither was I. Just them picking up 10 mil plus a non-prospect would be fine. Cash did a good job getting the Pirates to pay that much.

Trading AJ at this point is the correct move, he is the least desirable of all the rotation candidates and he provides zero value in the bullpen. Having said that, I'm not ready to throw Cashman a parade. It was a horrible signing in the first place and all Cashman is doing here is minimizing the loses from a terrible mistake he made.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

But we know from Seinfeld that the phrase "barring something unforeseen" means that something unforeseen will happen:

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS

barring something unforeseen, aj trade will be completed w/i a few days. pirates to pay $13M of $33M, give up 2 non-roster minor leaguers

Farkus Knows All
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Yankees, Pirates could complete Burnett trade this weekend

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz1meEzrWRS

See ya!!

NYYF Legend

mark my words, AJ will improve on the Pirates and everyone will say the Yankees never should have traded him. I mean he'll face the pitcher 3 times, go to a division with out Pujols or Fielder and a 50 game suspended Braun, and he'll pitch in a pitchers park.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    mark my words, AJ will improve on the Pirates and everyone will say the Yankees never should have traded him.
    I don't care how much he improves on the Pirates. Very few people will say that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

mark my words, AJ will improve on the Pirates and everyone will say the Yankees never should have traded him. I mean he'll face the pitcher 3 times, go to a division with out Pujols or Fielder and a 50 game suspended Braun, and he'll pitch in a pitchers park.
    I doubt that. Everyone will remember what he did here, and realize the difference between the NL Central and AL East.

I'll remember him for game 2 of the 09 WS and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by yanksfan7788 View Post
    I'll remember him for game 2 of the 09 WS and that's it
    What about 2011 ALDS game 4? (I think it was game 4)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    What about 2011 ALDS game 4? (I think it was game 4)
    I always forget he pitched the game

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Trading AJ at this point is the correct move, he is the least desirable of all the rotation candidates and he provides zero value in the bullpen. Having said that, I'm not ready to throw Cashman a parade. It was a horrible signing in the first place and all Cashman is doing here is minimizing the loses from a terrible mistake he made.
    I know it is fashionable to take shots at Cashman over signing Burnett but hindsight is 20-20. For example here is what ESPN and George King at the NY Post had to say the week that Burnett signed that contract:

New York Post: "It wouldn't surprise me if they went to five years with [Burnett]," a baseball executive said of the Yankees. "[Ryan] Dempster is going to sign back with the Cubs for four years and $13 million per, and Burnett is worth more than that."

Coming off a career-high in victories, the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder is easily the second-best pitcher on the free-agent market behind Sabathia, so $15 million to $16 million a season for four or five years isn't out of the question.

ESPN: "I can sense the excitement and the confidence that's spreading around the entire organization about what we're getting done and what we may get done still," Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told The Associated Press Friday before Burnett's decision became known. "A rising tide lifts all boats, and the confidence and the excitement right now among the team and the organization is contagious."

The Yankees made a late charge to beat out the Atlanta Braves for Burnett, who went 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA in 35 starts with Toronto this season. Burnett won 10 of his last 12 decisions. He set career highs in wins, strikeouts (231) and innings (221 1/3).

How might Burnett fare in New York? Wins won't be a problem for him, meaning a 30-start season equals at least 15, a good chance at a repeat of last year's 18 and an outside chance at 20. Plus, that he managed a combined 5-1 record, 2.05 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in nine starts combined against the Red Sox and Yankees in 2008 demonstrates his big-game ability.
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

It's not hindsight. Go find the Burnett thread before he signed here and see what was being said. George King floated that rumored deal (which ultimately proved to be accurate) earlier in the offseason and people were crushing it as a major overpay and calling him mediocre. I was among the group defending Burnett for being better than mediocre, a player that his stats at the end of the year didn't tell you how well he pitched for you, yet even I was killing the 5 year deal at that price.

There is no hindsight in not liking the Burnett contract.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    It's not hindsight. Go find the Burnett thread before he signed here and see what was being said. George King floated that rumored deal (which ultimately proved to be accurate) earlier in the offseason and people were crushing it as a major overpay and calling him mediocre. I was among the group defending Burnett for being better than mediocre, a player that his stats at the end of the year didn't tell you how well he pitched for you, yet even I was killing the 5 year deal at that price.

There is no hindsight in not liking the Burnett contract.
    Most of us were concern about his health in regard to the length of the contract. We all thought we needed another pitcher, but were concern about the five years. Very few of us thought he would regress to what he is now.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Most of us were concern about his health in regard to the length of the contract. We all thought we needed another pitcher, but were concern about the five years. Very few of us thought he would regress to what he is now.
    Yes, given his history, no one thought A.J. was going to stay healthy for very long. Also, there were a lot of questions about the contract length, but the Braves pushed it to 5, and the Yankees made the decision that he was the better option than Lowe.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That is definitely true (like I said I defended him against the mediocre charge)

I'm just saying it's not hindsight to be upset with the contract. I don't think many people on this board thought the contract was smart at all. Beyond just the injury, most people thought he was a mediocre pitcher.

they paid market price for Burnett, but that doesnt mean it was a good deal. it was a bad contract before the ink dried

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    That is definitely true (like I said I defended him against the mediocre charge)

I'm just saying it's not hindsight to be upset with the contract. I don't think many people on this board thought the contract was smart at all. Beyond just the injury, most people thought he was a mediocre pitcher.
    If he was still mediocre, I think he'd still have a place on the team. I don't think anyone antcipated this type of decline, starting in the second year of the deal
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If he was still mediocre, I think he'd still have a place on the team. I don't think anyone antcipated this type of decline, starting in the second year of the deal
    Correct! The regression in his performance is the reason why he has no place on this team.

Woohoo.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN
    Sources: Yankees and Pirates hope to take their proposed Burnett deal to the Commissioner later today, for approval.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Woohoo.

Sources: Yankees and Pirates hope to take their proposed Burnett deal to the Commissioner later today, for approval.

Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Woohoo.

Can't see why he would have nixed the trade to Anaheim. They have a legit shot this year, and pitching as a #5 behind Weaver/Haren/Wilson/Santana would have been without pressure or lofty expectations.
    Team Northern Lights

Thread Information