+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: What happens with Burnett?

So much has been made public in trying to move him that he is as good as gone.

They are not going to subject him to ST after all this "get rid of him" with the Pirates. I would love to know the 3 other teams that have expressed interest though.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

NYYF Cy Young

Mark Feinsand:

I'm told by a source there's "a good chance" that Burnett-to-Pitt gets done.

/for what it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why the Pirates wouldn't go for Oswalt for around 1/$5MM or so with incentives instead of 2/$10MM for Burnett. I guess Oswalt is holding out for more, or doesn't like Pittsburgh?
    Because they offered him twice that and he shot it down. Because they offered Edwin Jackson a 3 year deal at a better AAV than he got in Washington and he said no. Because Clint Barmes is (I kid you not) quite literally the biggest free agent signing they've ever made, and the highest paid Pirate in history is Matt Morris. Because both Oswalt and Derrek Lee are willing to retire rather than play for the Pirates.

Basically, the team has some money to spend and nobody will take it in free agency. Their best hope is to get someone who doesn't have a choice but to play for them.
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

Here's where my inexperience with baseball, especially with NL, comes to play. What's so bad about the Pirates?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Trading him just to trade him? Makes no sense to me.

We are looking at AJ to be a 5th starter these days. Not an ace, not a #2.

So, with that in mind, do any of you expect AJ to regress and be even worse than he was last year? I don't.

I expect him to be about the same, with the possibility that he improves slightly. There is also a chance, albeit a very small one, that he returns to form and pitches to his potential.

But, either way - even if he pitches as bad as he did last year - he would still be a rock solid 5th starter. Better than anything else we have, and equal to anything we would get at this point.

So, unless by trading him we get out from under his contract OR we get decent talent in return... neither of which appears to be the case here... why would you get rid of him?
    Jose Molina saved my marriage: http://www.townsandtrails.com/road-trip-to-the-last-yankees-stadium-game

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Here's where my inexperience with baseball, especially with NL, comes to play. What's so bad about the Pirates?
    They are not only a bad team, but they have been so for about 20 years.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

So, with that in mind, do any of you expect AJ to regress and be even worse than he was last year? I don't.

I expect him to be about the same, with the possibility that he improves slightly. There is also a chance, albeit a very small one, that he returns to form and pitches to his potential.

But, either way - even if he pitches as bad as he did last year - he would still be a rock solid 5th starter. Better than anything else we have, and equal to anything we would get at this point.

So, unless by trading him we get out from under his contract OR we get decent talent in return... neither of which appears to be the case here... why would you get rid of him?
    I disagree with "better than anything we have." He's decidedly not better than Freddy Garcia.

no...

It sounds like you haven't been following the yankees his offseason. We have CC, Pineda, Nova, Kuroda, Garcia, and Hughes. We prefer that he not pitch at all.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    They are not only a bad team, but they have been so for about 20 years.
    Since getting rid of Barry Bonds?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I disagree with "better than anything we have." He's decidedly not better than Freddy Garcia.
    Plus I don't see how anything he did last year can be considered "rock solid" even if it's for a 5 starter.

I'd also argue that Warren, Phelps, or Mitchell could put up better numbers then previous 2 years AJ at minimal cost.

Burnett pitched poorly enough last year to not even be a rock solid 5th starter and both Hughes and Garcia are better options as the 5th. At this point, his roster spot being freed up is more valuable than what he'd bring to the team.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    no...

It sounds like you haven't been following the yankees his offseason. We have CC, Pineda, Nova, Kuroda, Garcia, and Hughes. We prefer that he not pitch at all.
    We? All Yankees fans? Or just some inner circle? I think there are some very valid points made in that post. There's no guarantee that Hughes is not a bust again. And Freddy Garcia, as much as I like the guy, is not exactly money in the bank now is he?

I think it would be wise to trade AJ for a fair return. But to give him away for nothing makes little sense irrespective of you preferring that he not pitch at all.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis View Post
    So much has been made public in trying to move him that he is as good as gone.

They are not going to subject him to ST after all this "get rid of him" with the Pirates. I would love to know the 3 other teams that have expressed interest though.
    This has to be Cashman calling in a favor with some friends in the media. It's nothing short of amazing that the Pirates are apparently interested, let alone 3 more teams.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

at a discounted price and taking into consideration the whole "change of scenery" factor, i don't think it's such a stretch that other teams would be interested... he still has the stuff to at least succeed in the NL, imo
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

get it done Cashman

pirates r suckers lol
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    We? All Yankees fans? Or just some inner circle? I think there are some very valid points made in that post. There's no guarantee that Hughes is not a bust again. And Freddy Garcia, as much as I like the guy, is not exactly money in the bank now is he?

I think it would be wise to trade AJ for a fair return. But to give him away for nothing makes little sense regardless of you preferring that he not pitch at all.
    AJ has posted an 82 and 86 ERA+ the last two seasons. That production can almost certainly be replicated (if not exceeded) by any number of internal candidates at a fraction of the cost, plus any amount of salary we shed by trading him can be applied towards a better LH DH. Getting him off this team is the very definition of addition by subtraction.

I wanna be in the inner circle, too
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    at a discounted price and taking into consideration the whole "change of scenery" factor, i don't think it's such a stretch that other teams would be interested... he still has the stuff to at least succeed in the NL, imo
    I think the "AJ still has great stuff" argument has been overstated. His fastball isn't what it used to be. But if other GM's want to believe that, good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think the "AJ still has great stuff" argument has been overstated. His fastball isn't what it used to be. But if other GM's want to believe that, good for us.
    i agree i remember him sitting at 92-93 mph for the majority of last season
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

This has to be Cashman calling in a favor with some friends in the media. It's nothing short of amazing that the Pirates are apparently interested, let alone 3 more teams.
    I don't know, I'd be interested in AJ if I were an NL team. Keep in mind, Jeff Karstens had a 3.38 ERA for the Pirates last year. Jeff Karstens! His stuff is worse than AJ's, even now. I can see AJ pitching close to 200 innings of 100+ ERA ball for the Pirates.

I would give the Pirates the following options: AJ + $23mil for decent prospect or AJ + $18mil for a bag of balls.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    I don't know, I'd be interested in AJ if I were an NL team. Keep in mind, Jeff Karstens had a 3.38 ERA for the Pirates last year. Jeff Karstens! His stuff is worse than AJ's, even now. I can see AJ pitching close to 200 innings of 100+ ERA ball for the Pirates.

I would give the Pirates the following options: AJ + $23mil for decent prospect or AJ + $18mil for a bag of balls.
    Depending on your definition of 'decent', I'm not sure I would find either offer acceptable if I were the Pirates.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

I'm finding it hard to believe that there are 4 teams interested in AJ Burnett. Besides the Pirates does anyone know who the other 3 teams are?
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post

I'm finding it hard to believe that there are 4 teams interested in AJ Burnett. Besides the Pirates does anyone know who the other 3 teams are?
    I saw Baltimore speculated somewhere. Don't remember where.

NYYF Legend

AJ has posted an 82 and 86 ERA+ the last two seasons. That production can almost certainly be replicated (if not exceeded) by any number of internal candidates at a fraction of the cost, plus any amount of salary we shed by trading him can be applied towards a better LH DH. Getting him off this team is the very definition of addition by subtraction.
    If you could boil it all down from the Yankees POV, I think this sums it up.

This is a playoff contending team, and you can't have a guy take a roster spot that offers nothing.

190 innings can be valuable. 190 innings at 86 ERA+ is a bunch of losses and taxing a bullpen that is our clear advantage over just about every team in the AL East.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

NYYF Legend

I wonder if they are still down on Alvarez for getting so fat? How about sweeten the pot with Cervelli who they had intrest in and Burnett for Pedro Alvavez?

Thread Information